Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why fewer slips for an inswing bowler than an outswing bowler?

Why fewer slips for an inswing bowler than an outswing bowler?

It's one of my pet peeves.

Surely if there were to be an edge, it would be thicker and thus travel wider. Hooping outswing tends to take finer edges, by both my observation and simple logic.

Particularly for left arm swing bowlers to right handers. There are frequent edges as the batsman struggles to judge to what degree the ball will come in. But they tend to go through 3rd and 4th slip, which is often left open in comparison with the right arm outswinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Cricketers are thick.
    Aldo's Draft Winners
    Speed Sheep Draft - Hutton, Hunte, Hammond, Lara, Sobers, Miller, Waite+, Lindwall, Warne, Gillespie, McGrath.
    Old Timer's Draft - Rowan, Rae, Headley, Nourse, Worrell, Sinclair, Atkinson, Sherwell+, Vogler, Schwarz, Francis.
    Test-only ODI Draft - Hobbs, Maclaren, G Pollock, Hazare, Harvey, Waite+, Constantine, Rhodes, Cowie, McDonald, Farnes.
    Losers Draft - Hutton, Hanif, Kanhai, G Pollock, Sobers, Laxman, Waite+, Streak, Fazal, Waqar, Chandra

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    i guess in the case of say starc he prefers to attack the stumps for lbw or bowled... maybe if the extra fielder is put on the leg side they're there in case the bowler gets too straight or something
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || PSP Handscomb || F du Plessis || MM Ali || VD Philander || TG Southee || HMRKB Herath || JR Hazlewood

#FeelTheVern

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    i guess in the case of say starc he prefers to attack the stumps for lbw or bowled... maybe if the extra fielder is put on the leg side they're there in case the bowler gets too straight or something
    Ok...so spread the slips wider or just get rid of first slip
    Shady Slim likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    @hendrix shouldn't the question be why the slips don't stand wider than they already do or why the need for a first slip? You often see left armers getting an edge with the angle with the keeper running across and taking it comfortably in front of first.

Why they have fewer slips is simply because they get fewer edges I would've thought.

edit: multi tab owned
    Shady Slim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    @hendrix shouldn't the question be why the slips don't stand wider than they already do or why the need for a first slip? You often see left armers getting an edge with the angle with the keeper running across and taking it comfortably in front of first.
    very true. Or true of good keepers anyway.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar

Why they have fewer slips is simply because they get fewer edges I would've thought.

edit: multi tab owned
    I've seen a lot of people think this and get caught out by having slip too wide as a result. It's generally the wider balls outside off that then get thinner edges where the keeper can seemingly take simple catches right in front of slip, and you think "huh why do we even have slip that fine if the keeper can take that easily". But then you can get the edges of straighter balls that can go flying between slip and keeper if slip goes too wide. Sometimes that's the gamble you take though.

Obviously slips are wider in general for a left-arm over the wicket than a right arm over the wicket (assuming Right-handed batsman). As to whether you'd be better off just throwing in wider slips in general in that situation, or fine gullies instead of a 1st or 2nd slip, that's an interesting theory IMO.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Would also argue that yer right-arm in-swinger bowlers won't need wide slips because they either bring the ball back in which leads to an edge 0.00001286% of the time or their variation ball holding its line, the intention is to get a thin edge to 'keeper or 1st. A skipper who places a 3rd and 4th for a guy bringing it back in probably isn't playing high % cricket.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yeah, I think if you were to look at caught behinds for someone like Bond* and Steyn when he's reversing vs an Anderson, you just don't see that many edges.

*I've only looked at highlights

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    It's one of my pet peeves.

Surely if there were to be an edge, it would be thicker and thus travel wider. Hooping outswing tends to take finer edges, by both my observation and simple logic.

Particularly for left arm swing bowlers to right handers. There are frequent edges as the batsman struggles to judge to what degree the ball will come in. But they tend to go through 3rd and 4th slip, which is often left open in comparison with the right arm outswinger.
    Because if I'm swinging it back into a batsman then I'm targetting his pads/stumps and if he edges it then it'll be the inside edge I'm threatening.

A batsman would have to play a weird as **** shot to edge it through 3rd/4th slip to an inswinger. Would rather have a bat pad or a leg slip.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Because if I'm swinging it back into a batsman then I'm targetting his pads/stumps and if he edges it then it'll be the inside edge I'm threatening.

A batsman would have to play a weird as **** shot to edge it through 3rd/4th slip to an inswinger. Would rather have a bat pad or a leg slip.
    It's not the inswinger they're edging against a bowler who gets the ball to move in, it's the one that holds it's line
    hendrix likes this.

It's not the inswinger they're edging against a bowler who gets the ball to move in, it's the one that holds it's line
    Or just one that swings slightly less than the batsman judges.

@Furball - I understand that inside edge is the goal. So then why have first and second slips? It seems to me, that wider slips on the off side would be more prudent, with fine slips on the leg side. But captains usually put a narrow radius of slips for inswing bowlers, which doesn't make sense to me.

That's what first and second slip are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    That's what first and second slip are for.
    fine edges go to first and second slip. Thick edges go wider.

The point is that thicker outside edges happen to inswing bowlers than they do outswing bowlers.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    fine edges go to first and second slip. Thick edges go wider.

The point is that thicker outside edges happen to inswing bowlers than they do outswing bowlers.
    I hardly think that's definitively true at all tbh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information