• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Blast, ah well, he showed everyone how easy playing the short stuff really is. Good on him for not rubbing it in.

Flem274*

123/5
don't waste the new ball on one of the northern hacks who gift balls on the pads then get told they're so unlucky, just give it to wagner tbh

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Damn. Am a little pissed he tried to bash that and missed out on the n.o.

I believe 300 is about par on this wicket and in that sense 214 isn't good, but conceding 481 declared is much worse.

Flem274*

123/5
The thing about Wagner is from a statistical standpoint he's just steadily got better and better as his Test career has progressed, including the period right before he was dropped (save one bad game).

Year by year bowling averages:

2012: 52.25
2013: 36.31
2014: 27.36
2015: 26.00
2016: 18.69

I have never rated him and long maintained NZ should be looking for better so I've always defended the dropping, but in hindsight it looks really bad. I think the selectors were kind of on my wavelength and looking for any excuse to drop him for more exciting players, and it's not really a great way to run a team.

It's one of those times where a dropping seemed slightly harsh but justifiable at the time and looks bat**** insane in hindsight, but sometimes hindsight actually does give a better look at these things. Even as a massive Wagner hater I can admit they got that one wrong.
wagner needed to be dropped back then. i can't remember who it was nz were playing but he was horrific. really really bad. one of the sri lankan tours i think? bracewell came in for the second test and carved up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just encountered a tramp on the walk home who, with an ironing board under one arm, stopped to say "Excuse me, how does the rabbit make gold soup?"

Still just the second most mystifying event of the night after Southee batting above Wags.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well done boys... missed last couple of wickets. Think SA pace bowling attack is absolute world class. I hope we sort a spinner out soon, because their is lots of spin talent available atm. I like Piedt but think Shamsi is our long term attacking spinner. Difficult to know in SA conditions. If we can sort out our middle order with AB back think we will can move back to the top of the rankings quickly...

Flem274*

123/5
i seem to remember some west island talk about them having the greatest fast bowling attack and depth of all time

i mean, south africa could always call up morne morkel if they get bored...

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just encountered a tramp on the walk he who, with an ironing board under one arm, stopped to say "Excuse me, how does the rabbit make gold soup?"

Still just the second most mystifying event of the night after Southee batting above Wags.
Put 24 carrots in it.