• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Squad for Zimbabwe and West Indies Tours

sunilreddy

Banned
For Zimbabwe Tour

ODI and T20 squad MS Dhoni (capt & wk), KL Rahul, Faiz Fazal, Manish Pandey, Karun Nair, Ambati Rayudu, Rishi Dhawan, Axar Patel, Jayant Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jasprit Bumrah, Barinder Sran, Mandeep Singh, Kedar Jadhav, Jaydev Unadkat, Yuzvendra Chahal

For West Indies Tour

India squad: Virat Kohli (capt), M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-capt), Rohit Sharma, Wriddhiman Saha, R Ashwin, Amit Mishra, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Stuart Binny

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rahane becoming vice-captain is not a bad move, but Ashwin could be a better choice for the job.

At least it's not Ishant or Rohit, lol.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Binny is there as the pace-bowling allrounder (because Kohli wants 5 bowlers in the XI). So, if Jadeja fails and Kohli wants Ashwin and Mishy as the only 2 spinners in the team then he'll go to Binny as the 5th bowler. He's our best pace-bowling all-rounder atm imo. (Rajat Bhatia may come close, but others like Rishi Dhawan aren't even close)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Binny is there as the pace-bowling allrounder (because Kohli wants 5 bowlers in the XI). So, if Jadeja fails and Kohli wants Ashwin and Mishy as the only 2 spinners in the team then he'll go to Binny as the 5th bowler. He's our best pace-bowling all-rounder atm imo. (Rajat Bhatia may come close, but others like Rishi Dhawan aren't even close)
There's a better pace bowling all rounder in the squad already. One with 10 times as many wickets as Binny's pathetic haul of 3 in 7 innings and with more runs at a better average.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
There's a better pace bowling all rounder in the squad already. One with 10 times as many wickets as Binny's pathetic haul of 3 in 7 innings and with more runs at a better average.
Nah Binny is a better batsman than Bhuvi.

Bhuvi isn't suitable for no. 7 especially when no. 6 is Saha (although you can argue playing Ashwin at 7 and Bhuvi at 8).

Daemon

Yeah he is, but I doubt that over the long run their output will be significantly different. There's also Mishra who can bat a bit so while the lower middle order is weak, the tail does have some quality in it. Definitely consider Bhuvi to add more overall.

My main concern with Binny is that he's so far from Test level in either discipline it's an embarrassment. His bowling has been getting better of late for sure, but it's still not there yet.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I hope we settle now with an attack of Ishant, Bhuvi, Yadav, Ashwin, Jadeja/Shami/Mishra. The first four need to be mainstays with the fifth changing according to the conditions. But Binny playing over Bhuvi has been one of the most inexplicable selection decisions I've ever seen. Bhuvi's a better batsman and bowler by a mile. All Binny has over him ( and over most people) is a hotter woman.

OverratedSanity

Also, this long break in test cricket must have done wonders for Rohit's prospects. Everyone must have forgotten how atrocious he was against SA, and now he gets to play WI.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Who is Faiz Fazal? Never heard of him.

Also, for the WI test matches, is it better to play 4 quicks + 1 spinner / 3 quicks + 2 spinners / 2 quicks + 3 spinners? I assume Kohli will go in with 5 bowlers, especially when Ashwin is a solid Test bat.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Who is Faiz Fazal? Never heard of him.

Also, for the WI test matches, is it better to play 4 quicks + 1 spinner / 3 quicks + 2 spinners / 2 quicks + 3 spinners? I assume Kohli will go in with 5 bowlers, especially when Ashwin is a solid Test bat.
At least 2 spinners in WI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would be very surprised if our test batting line up did not read:

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
5 bowlers

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I would be very surprised if our test batting line up did not read:

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
5 bowlers
Would agree with that. KL Rahul looks like a better batsman than Dhawan (who remains prone to edging one to the slips). Also reckon Pujara has shown that he's a better Test player than Rohit.

Wouldn't this team look better if KL Rahul took over wicketkeeping duties as well and you could play Rohit instead of Saha?