cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best captains/could have been captains

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The 'Gabba
    Posts
    4,241

    Best captains/could have been captains

    Basically I've been thinking about some of the guys who could have made great captains but for whatever reason never led their country. Some of the names I've thought of were Hedley Verity, Keith Miller and Shane Warne. For some potential leaders there have been other guys in their way, sometimes administrative but sometimes other great captains have been in the way.
    So for me the best to have never led is Keith Miller
    The best to have been a captain is Clive Lloyd

    Any thoughts of who the best leaders were? Or who were jerks...

    Sorry if this has been a thread before
    CATCHES WIN MATCHES
    Ellyse Perry is the best

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Basically I've been thinking about some of the guys who could have made great captains but for whatever reason never led their country. Some of the names I've thought of were Hedley Verity, Keith Miller and Shane Warne. For some potential leaders there have been other guys in their way, sometimes administrative but sometimes other great captains have been in the way.
    So for me the best to have never led is Keith Miller
    The best to have been a captain is Clive Lloyd

    Any thoughts of who the best leaders were? Or who were jerks...

    Sorry if this has been a thread before
    I have often wondered how Paddles would have gone as captain. New Zealand and Australia are the two countries that like to name batsman as captains almost as a rule (Vettori and spinners aside).

    I think on the whole it was for the best. He would have been a hard taskmaster.

    Greatbatch
    Edgar

    I won't say Richardson - I don't find the tactics he proposes as a commentator to be particularly great.
    Ian Smith did get a go didn't he.
    Scott Styris would have been underwhelming.
    Grant Elliot's sound bites on the cricket company while captaining the Firebirds were cringeworthy.
    Peter Fulton if he could've held down a spot in the team apparently was a very fine FC level captain.

    Tom Latham would be good.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

    Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

    Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

  3. #3
    International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The 'Gabba
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I have often wondered how Paddles would have gone as captain. New Zealand and Australia are the two countries that like to name batsman as captains almost as a rule (Vettori and spinners aside).

    I think on the whole it was for the best. He would have been a hard taskmaster.

    Greatbatch
    Edgar

    I won't say Richardson - I don't find the tactics he proposes as a commentator to be particularly great.
    Ian Smith did get a go didn't he.
    Scott Styris would have been underwhelming.
    Grant Elliot's sound bites on the cricket company while captaining the Firebirds were cringeworthy.
    Peter Fulton if he could've held down a spot in the team apparently was a very fine FC level captain.

    Tom Latham would be good.
    In that era Paddles Vs Border would have been hard task master versus another hard task master. Brutal for the players,
    I'd also add that Latham being captain is guaranteed from what I can see. KW will take a couple goes at captain and in between could be Latham's time

  4. #4
    International Coach Gnske's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    10,907
    Ashwin

    Kohli is an amoeba compared to his intellectual intelligence.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    In that era Paddles Vs Border would have been hard task master versus another hard task master. Brutal for the players,
    I'd also add that Latham being captain is guaranteed from what I can see. KW will take a couple goes at captain and in between could be Latham's time
    My comment on Latham is based, btw, on how intelligent a batsman he is. He seems self aware and seems to learn and grow. Getting a test match 40 while opening the batting is not at all easy. He will crack the code of how to score centuries he is too smart not too.

    Interesting comment on Kane getting two kicks at the can. Could come true.

  6. #6
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    11,992
    Darren Lehmann would've been good. So too Katich I reckon. Guys with uncomplicated minds make the best captains. Mark Taylor was a fine example of that, Clive Lloyd too.

    Be interesting to ask, leadership aside, who was the best tactician ever. Clarke gets big marks for that from the guys I've seen.

  7. #7
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    11,992
    And Miller is the best never to have captained. How Ian Johnstone got the gig is beyond me.

  8. #8
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    I don't think Warne would be a great captain for Australia. He was too erratic a figure. Would have issues with players like Waugh say, and not be able to handle it well. Leading a county team or IPL team where people look up to you generally and leading a side like Australia is too different things.

  9. #9
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,612
    Some of the English professional greats during the amateur era would have to be worth a mention. Guys like, Hobbs, Sutcliffe & Frank Woolley probably could have done much better job than their amateur contemporaries.

    To a similar extent, I believe George Headley & Learie Constanine would have been great captains for WI had they been given proper full time leadership duties.

  10. #10
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    12,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Darren Lehmann would've been good. So too Katich I reckon. Guys with uncomplicated minds make the best captains. Mark Taylor was a fine example of that, Clive Lloyd too.

    Be interesting to ask, leadership aside, who was the best tactician ever. Clarke gets big marks for that from the guys I've seen.
    Not sure I agree on the uncomplicated minds front
    cricket rules brah

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The 'Gabba
    Posts
    4,241
    Yeah Warne would have made some interesting decisions.
    What makes a captain great? I like Lloyd Because even when the Windies were tested he still got them through. He was tactically very good and also could lead from the front when his side was a few down. Mentioning Clarkey is another good shout for recent captains.

    Watching Langer as coach inWA I wonder how he would have gone as well.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    19,898
    I would have liked to have seen what Ian Botham would have made of the England captaincy if he'd got the job in the mid 80s rather than when he did - it was ridiculous to expect a bloke of 24/25 who was the teams best bowler by far, and pretty much its best batsman, to lead the team well at that age

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The 'Gabba
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I would have liked to have seen what Ian Botham would have made of the England captaincy if he'd got the job in the mid 80s rather than when he did - it was ridiculous to expect a bloke of 24/25 who was the teams best bowler by far, and pretty much its best batsman, to lead the team well at that age
    Indeed, however, what if he had better support? I think young captains are ok when things aren't all on them. You're right a couple years later might have been better for Beefy, but is it really his age that was the problem?

  14. #14
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,392
    Bob Woolmer may have been a good England captain if he hadn't messed up his test career by joining WSC.

    I'm basing that on his spell in charge of SA, which admittedly isn't the same job, but he seemed to have a pretty sharp cricketing mind.

  15. #15
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,392
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I would have liked to have seen what Ian Botham would have made of the England captaincy if he'd got the job in the mid 80s rather than when he did - it was ridiculous to expect a bloke of 24/25 who was the teams best bowler by far, and pretty much its best batsman, to lead the team well at that age
    And against WI, of course.

    That being said, I wouldn't have put mid-1980s Beefy in charge of anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. QF Captains
    By Agent Nationaux in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 10:28 AM
  2. Captains
    By Rebecca in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
  3. Best ODI Captains
    By southafrica in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 25-03-2007, 05:52 PM
  4. Captains !!!!!!!!!!!
    By biased indian in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 03:26 AM
  5. Captains...
    By LA ICE-E in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2006, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •