• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Voges average watch

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
always wondered how that worked so consistently...

It's like magic or sumfing.
Yup, took me years to figure out that if you remove all of Bradman's runs from his stats, he averages zero.

Like a few others, I hope Voges plays on for a bit, it would be a travesty to the history of cricket if he stops having the 2nd best Test average ever, and we all know it.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think he will play enough to the average to come down. So it will probably remain around 60 so future generations will have to dig a little and ask "Hey Pollock and Richards couldn't play more because of the apartheid, why didn't Voges play more?"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Area CW poster discovers that when you take out a batsman's good performances, his average goes down.
This topic always reminds me of a post Rusty made when Richard was trying to statistically argue that MacGill was terrible.

I don't personally think that it will be too hard to replace Warne. If you take out all the innings where he took wickets, he didn't take a single wicket in the rest of the innings! And would have stats as follows

44 Matches
547.5 Overs
0 Wickets
1751 Runs

Australia were just lucky they had other players that could step up and handle this type of "baggage"....

Blocky

Banned
Area CW poster discovers that when you take out a batsman's good performances, his average goes down.
Global Moderator discovers logical fallacies and ignoring relative strength of bowling attacks are a good way to post.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well it's pretty easy to see from Voges career he wasn't a particularly special bat, raw numbers get a lot of flak on here but his FC record still exists and big runs, not outs, roads and poor opposition have never been exactly something even the most noobie of statsguru aficionados ignores.

*insert jab at viriyas rating system in some way*

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This topic always reminds me of a post Rusty made when Richard was trying to statistically argue that MacGill was terrible.
And that reminds me of a stat Star Sports put up recently during an India-Pakistan encounter.

In all of India-Pakistan games, every time Pakistan won the game, India lost.

Spark

Global Moderator
Global Moderator discovers logical fallacies and ignoring relative strength of bowling attacks are a good way to post.
In shocking news, it is harder to score runs against good bowling. Never would have guessed.

If only there were a way to statistically combine performances against all attacks, both good and mediocre, in an easy-to-understand format.

vcs

Sachin has his lowest test average against Pakistan. That always gave me a great deal of satisfaction :wub:
Used to be SA, but he fixed that later on in his career.

So it was just a matter of not getting to play Pakistan enough. :p

Blocky

Banned
In shocking news, it is harder to score runs against good bowling. Never would have guessed.

If only there were a way to statistically combine performances against all attacks, both good and mediocre, in an easy-to-understand format.
It's not "good" bowling - it's "bowling that isn't completely bad"

The West Indian bowling attack at the moment has no one averaging under 30 with the ball, and they're worse away from home, and they were served up the types of highways that make most batsmen look like geniuses
The Indian bowling attack outside of dusty India are arguably worse.

Do you really want to contend that? Even the Aussie cricket team indicate they're clueless against the moving delivery.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not "good" bowling - it's "bowling that isn't completely bad"

The West Indian bowling attack at the moment has no one averaging under 30 with the ball, and they're worse away from home, and they were served up the types of highways that make most batsmen look like geniuses
The Indian bowling attack outside of dusty India are arguably worse.

Do you really want to contend that? Even the Aussie cricket team indicate they're clueless against the moving delivery.
We're not talking about the Aussie cricket team, we're talking about Smith.

Zinzan

I don't think he will play enough to the average to come down. So it will probably remain around 60 so future generations will have to dig a little and ask "Hey Pollock and Richards couldn't play more because of the apartheid, why didn't Voges play more?"
As long as in 50 years on cricketweb when those future generations question his record, someone will be able pipe up and say.."he might have averaged 60, but my grandfather Athai says he was ****".

viriya

International Captain
Well it's pretty easy to see from Voges career he wasn't a particularly special bat, raw numbers get a lot of flak on here but his FC record still exists and big runs, not outs, roads and poor opposition have never been exactly something even the most noobie of statsguru aficionados ignores.

*insert jab at viriyas rating system in some way*
That's precisely why rating systems exist, to adjust big runs vs poor opposition in roads lower.

Blocky

Banned
Rating systems generally only take into account the opposition, not the environment or conditions they batted within. They also don't have a tendency of rating hard runs ahead of easy runs, i.e a 4th innings knock in India on crumbling wickets against the Indian bowling attack should count for much more than a fair weather bullying of the West Indies on a Perth pitch.

Zinzan

Rating systems generally only take into account the opposition, not the environment or conditions they batted within.
That may be true, but name one all-time batsman ratings system/methodology a consensus cricket fans agree on? I don't know of any.

viriya

International Captain
Rating systems generally only take into account the opposition, not the environment or conditions they batted within. They also don't have a tendency of rating hard runs ahead of easy runs, i.e a 4th innings knock in India on crumbling wickets against the Indian bowling attack should count for much more than a fair weather bullying of the West Indies on a Perth pitch.
All of these factors are taken into account in proper rating systems.
http://www.cricrate.com/methodology.php?matchFormat=Test&disc=Batting

8-)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
viriya has rating system for fielders even... atleast applaud the man even though flawed doesn't matter. Someone had to say sun moves around the earth first