• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Announces Comeback

91Jmay

International Coach
Don't they have a salary cap? Clarke demanding big money stops you paying an actual good player that money.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't they have a salary cap? Clarke demanding big money stops you paying an actual good player that money.
marketing-related stuff is usually treated as outside the cap iirc. i think CA pays that money directly.

there's definitely no way the stars could afford all the players they did without marketing-related bonuses on the side for KP etc

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A handful and 'not doing incredibly well' :laugh: or 46 and being terrible.
Clarke's part of a generation that kind of missed the T20 boom though. 46 games spaced over a career of 12 years (T20 only came about in 2003) really isn't all that much when his focus would have been on Test and ODI cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Clarke's part of a generation that kind of missed the T20 boom though. 46 games spaced over a career of 12 years (T20 only came about in 2003) really isn't all that much when his focus would have been on Test and ODI cricket.
Yeah that generation, like Pietersen and Gayle, really missed the T20 boat

91Jmay

International Coach
There are absolutely loads of players from Clarke's generation who played or still play T20 cricket. Nonsense excuse. He didn't play more T20 because he was **** at it so he had to retired before he was dropped.

Australian news: Michael Clarke quits Twenty20, Cameron White is new captain | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

As he admits here.

adub

International Captain
yeah if the stars didn't take him back I'm sure the Sixers would take a look, if not the Thunder
With Usman looking very likely to be missing due to ODI selection next year and Huss and Kallis gone the Thunder would be mad not to have a chat at least. If his back is ok he could probably do a fair job in the Kallis role - steady opener and a few handy overs. Would also be a good replacement for Huss as the canny skipper. Plus being a Western Suburbs kid the marketing works great. Good fit all round.

Stace

First Class Debutant
If he didn't take it seriously the first time around while his teammates did then **** him, let a younger guy play in his place like the Lynn's and Head's and make there own way in the game.

Redbacks

International Captain
There are absolutely loads of players from Clarke's generation who played or still play T20 cricket. Nonsense excuse. He didn't play more T20 because he was **** at it so he had to retired before he was dropped.

Australian news: Michael Clarke quits Twenty20, Cameron White is new captain | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

As he admits here.
But he also emphasised what has been argued in the thread:

"I'm retiring from international Twenty20 cricket," Clarke said. "I guess, looking back on this series, my Test cricket isn't where I want it at the moment. This gives me the opportunity to focus wholly and solely on Test cricket and one-day and to use that time to play more domestic or first-class cricket for New South Wales and become a better Test player.
"For me, I've always said Test cricket is the ultimate for me. This gives me that opportunity. In saying that, obviously my T20 performances haven't been that great, which made the decision that much easier."
He had the role as test captain. Unique opportunity and only relevant for one player in each generation so he made it a priority.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Just no.

The guy had a few good years and that is that. I don't mind he making his retirement corpus in the Big Bash but please no more of him in the national colours.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just no.

The guy had a few good years and that is that. I don't mind he making his retirement corpus in the Big Bash but please no more of him in the national colours.
He was one of the greats of his generation, lol "had a few good years".

His last couple of series were **** though and I doubt anyone really thinks he'll make an international comeback

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
He was one of the greats of his generation, lol "had a few good years".

His last couple of series were **** though and I doubt anyone really thinks he'll make an international comeback
If he is one of the "greats" of his generation, then his generation must have been a really underwhelming bunch of cricketers.

Make no mistake, I like Clarke as a batsman but in this era, 8000 runs @ 49 odd is good, not "great". Why I say a few good years? Check his career stats. He averaged above 50 in test cricket in only 5 calendar years of his career (which spanned 12 years). And he was largely just a home track bully. His home average of 62 stands in stark contrast to his away from home average of just 39.5. He made good runs on flat Aussie wickets against some substandard bowling attacks, and while he toured he was mediocre to good, as demonstrated by his career stats. His highest 'away from home' (barring NZ) average is a mere 42.8 (in SL).

His ODI numbers are too not that great, although his fans would like to tom-tom his career average of over 45. Which is largely negated by a substandard strike rate of 78 (ie a run rate of 4.7 per over) in this era and inflated by a plethora of not outs (a fifth of all his ODI innings).

One area where he stepped out really was as a tactician. I admire him a lot for that, although his tactics were largely foolhardy outside Australia - the best (or worst) of them being a first day declaration at 239 and ended up having egg on his face seeing his team getting decimated by an innings and a ton of runs.

So yeah, Clarke is no way in the league of 'greats'.

91Jmay

International Coach
But he also emphasised what has been argued in the thread:

He had the role as test captain. Unique opportunity and only relevant for one player in each generation so he made it a priority.
Well yes, he wasn't going to outwardly say 'I'm nowhere near good enough at T20 to play it so I am jacking it in' was he? Cook said the same thing as Clarke about ODIs (despite Cook being a better ODI player than Clarke was a T20 player) but everyone knew the real reason.

Clarke is obviously a Test great and borderline ODI one as well though. I'm not arguing that here.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he is one of the "greats" of his generation, then his generation must have been a really underwhelming bunch of cricketers.

Make no mistake, I like Clarke as a batsman but in this era, 8000 runs @ 49 odd is good, not "great". Why I say a few good years? Check his career stats. He averaged above 50 in test cricket in only 5 calendar years of his career (which spanned 12 years). And he was largely just a home track bully. His home average of 62 stands in stark contrast to his away from home average of just 39.5. He made good runs on flat Aussie wickets against some substandard bowling attacks, and while he toured he was mediocre to good, as demonstrated by his career stats. His highest 'away from home' (barring NZ) average is a mere 42.8 (in SL).

His ODI numbers are too not that great, although his fans would like to tom-tom his career average of over 45. Which is largely negated by a substandard strike rate of 78 (ie a run rate of 4.7 per over) in this era and inflated by a plethora of not outs (a fifth of all his ODI innings).

One area where he stepped out really was as a tactician. I admire him a lot for that, although his tactics were largely foolhardy outside Australia - the best (or worst) of them being a first day declaration at 239 and ended up having egg on his face seeing his team getting decimated by an innings and a ton of runs.

lol

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
With Usman looking very likely to be missing due to ODI selection next year and Huss and Kallis gone the Thunder would be mad not to have a chat at least. If his back is ok he could probably do a fair job in the Kallis role - steady opener and a few handy overs. Would also be a good replacement for Huss as the canny skipper. Plus being a Western Suburbs kid the marketing works great. Good fit all round.
Imagine him and Watto opening the batting together. Partnership for the ages there.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

ffs.

cnerd123

likes this
Don't you love it when a newbie pops up and makes a post riddled with fallacies, bad stats and old tired arguments?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah judge the post not the poster - loving how the jury suddenly comes out and start doing personal attacks and judgements.