• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Disagree. This was a bad call, but in real-time, and may not yet have a significant impact on the game. Adelaide was a howler because the 3rd ump had the time and info to make the correct decision (until the wrong replay was shown ...) and was a match-turning incident.
Except that 99.9% of the time that would have been taken upstairs.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I've thought for some time that the review system favours batsmen in general. Now I have iron cast proof that the system was thought up by batsmen.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
You can't review that because an umpire is meant to put his arm out as soon as he sees the no ball, thereby allowing the batsman to change his shot.
wasn't it called before the ball hit the stumps?
True. It's just weird that he chose that no ball to break the trend of not bother to call them and reviewing every wicket. It wasn't even particularly close and his heel didn't slide.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shocking call, but how often do we tell umpires to call no balls instead of sending them upstairs. It's got to go be way or the other. Use the technology all the time or not at all.

Consider that payback for Vettori's no ball when Warne was caught on 99

Flem274*

123/5
nah that's not payback for warne. no one likes warne so it was funny and it produced one of the ATG fan reactions from the fat guy. vettori did the cricketing world a service that day and was rewarded with the gift of tricking batsmen into playing for turn against straight balls for the rest of his career.

do a good deed and get rewarded by the universe.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Shocking call, but how often do we tell umpires to call no balls instead of sending them upstairs. It's got to go be way or the other. Use the technology all the time or not at all.

Consider that payback for Vettori's no ball when Warne was caught on 99
I don't think Umpires should be calling no balls at all. It's just not within human capability for one guy to make a decent decision in the time between the bowlers front foot landing and the ball being delivered.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't think Umpires should be calling no balls at all. It's just not within human capability for one guy to make a decent decision in the time between the bowlers front foot landing and the ball being delivered.
One thing that gets me about no balls is this. When a wicket is reviewed, there turns out to be a pretty high proportion of no balls not called among them.

I wonder how many no balls (and short runs) there would turn out to be if we had a laser that counted each one. Possibly a lot more than now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This whole umpiring ****-up is the worst display since the last one of an umpiring/DRS system that has not been sufficiently and rigorously tested.

I want to grab all the people responsible and force them into a stuffy meeting room for four days so that they can go through uninspiring spreadsheets like the below assessing in detail every goddamn combination and permutation of things that could go wrong, with the mind-numbing boredom only punctuated by the race to snatch the only good sandwiches (the egg ones) that the catering outfit delivers daily for lunch.

every permutation.

And it actually works - the question of what happens here would be asked and a solution would be found.

Burgey

This whole umpiring ****-up is the worst display since the last one of an umpiring/DRS system that has not been sufficiently and rigorously tested.

I want to grab all the people responsible and force them into a stuffy meeting room for four days so that they can go through uninspiring spreadsheets like the below assessing in detail every goddamn combination and permutation of things that could go wrong, with the mind-numbing boredom only punctuated by the race to snatch the only good sandwiches (the egg ones) that the catering outfit delivers daily for lunch.

every permutation.

And it actually works - the question of what happens here would be asked and a solution would be found.
Wouldn't that make for a scintillating day's play at the cric......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TheJediBrah

so haven't been watching but assuming someone was out on a legitimate delivery that was incorrectly called a no-ball?

Burgey

Yes, Voges.

Not a huge fan of Voges (nice bloke that he obviously is), but fmd I hope he makes about 420 not out tomorrow. Would be hilarious

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no problem with a no ball being called by a human. For anyone who's umpired, it's actually bloody hard to look down, get an accurate gauge on a foot behind a line then look up in time to make another accurate decision. So they'll get it wrong sometimes.

But why the bloody hell do we get 'better check the front foot' when an lbw hasn't been called and he's out, yet here we got nothing? I mean, Illingworth must have known it was close, right? He knew it wasn't an Aamir style no ball. Why the **** didn't he say to Raymundo Martinez or whatever that 3rd umpire fella's name is, hey just have a real quick look for me because I think it was a no ball but it was tight. It wouldn't have delayed the game at all given it was stumps.

Another example that cricket has a long way to go to get technology right, both in the delivery and the policy of it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see that we need a laser tripwire for the front foot, but FMD just have the third umpire look on all dismissals be they upheld or no balls. I'm sure they can take time out from their game of Solitaire.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but an incorrect call of a no ball isn't fair on the batsman as they may have played the ball differently in response to the no ball call. That's the problem. Overruling the no ball call couldn't mean the batsman should necessarily out.

Hence, an electronic solution for international games must be pursued. And us club cricket plebs just have to suck it up. Personally, I've never had a problem with checking the front foot no ball line and then seeing the outcome of the ball. Whether my assessment is up to scratch is a different issue. Checking the back foot no ball is much harder and as soon as you start to combine these tasks, it certainly gets tricky.

Last edited: