• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One day international cricket 50 over format

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thing is, growing up, I loved the tri-series in Australia, even if the touring teams would rarely be a draw for spectators and thus a financial 'burden'. I dunno, just made things more interesting. The best series were always with Aus, SA and NZ.

I'd like to see maybe biennial regional cups (with minnows/associates) - Southern Hemisphere Cup, Asia Cup, European & America's cup.

I guess it comes down to average viewer. Even if just between two teams I'm probably going to find series where NZ play stronger teams worthy of watching.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thing is, growing up, I loved the tri-series in Australia, even if the touring teams would rarely be a draw for spectators and thus a financial 'burden'. I dunno, just made things more interesting. The best series were always with Aus, SA and NZ.

I'd like to see maybe biennial regional cups (with minnows/associates) - Southern Hemisphere Cup, Asia Cup, European & America's cup.

I guess it comes down to average viewer. Even if just between two teams I'm probably going to find series where NZ play stronger teams worthy of watching.
can't imagine that the European or America's cup would be particularly competitive

NZTailender

can't imagine that the European or America's cup would be particularly competitive
That's why it'd be Europe and Americas: England, Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland, West Indies
Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Southern Hemisphere: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya/Namibia (they could take it in turns/whoever is ranked higher at the time)

Europe & Americas would be weakest but who cares about those countries anyway

TheJediBrah

That's why it'd be Europe and Americas: England, Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland, West Indies
Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Southern Hemisphere: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya/Namibia (they could take it in turns/whoever is ranked higher at the time)

Europe & Americas would be weakest but who cares about those countries anyway
good in theory, but in the end you'd get pretty predicable winners most of the time and a lot of "minnow v big team" games

NZTailender

good in theory, but in the end you'd get pretty predicable winners most of the time and a lot of "minnow v big team" games
I think it'd help develop minnow teams better than them constantly playing each other followed by sometimes playing in the World Cup (not that it will happen next time), or their 1-2 fixtures when a team tours their neighbour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think allowing bowlers additional overs based on the number of wickets they get will create the best situation. It would make both sides think deeply about how they want to tackle their best bowlers and batsmen. And might encourage more positive and attacking bowling mindset.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
How about this change?

In the case of A v B

1. A batting 1~25 overs
2. B batting 1~50 overs
3. A batting 26~50 overs

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd quite like England to have a summer quadrangular tournament rather than 2 bilateral series.

England
Touring side A
Touring side B
Ireland/Scotland/Netherlands (rotating each year).

Each team plays each other twice during the group phase, top 2 qualify for the final.

TheJediBrah

I'd quite like England to have a summer quadrangular tournament rather than 2 bilateral series.

England
Touring side A
Touring side B

Each team plays each other twice during the group phase, top 2 qualify for the final.
Genuinely good idea IMO

NZTailender

England
Touring side A
Touring side B

This would be a better model than the one I suggested. You could do it for each region.

TheJediBrah

I guess one big issue with that though is the financial viability. Which is probably the issue prohibiting issue with all these ideas.

Both Aus and Eng stopped the yearly Tri-Series due to lack of interest in the neutral games and this would probably be an even bigger issue when throwing in a 4th minnow nation.

morgieb

The format itself is fine. What worries me is that there's too many irrelevant series that are hard to care about. I'd want to see some triangular series (where I feel there's more meaning than your average bilateral series), probably less ODI's in general, and also if possible ODI's to come before the Tests (I feel this way it's a good way to whet your appetite for international cricket, whereas Tests before the ODI's kinda makes you feel a bit jaded towards cricket.