• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your best current test team is..

Which is the best test team right now?

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
And when Australia and New Zealand play at the end of the month, the winner of that will be the best in the world.
Yes. If Australia win in New Zealand, then they make a legitimate case as people are holding their away record against them.

It's rubbish to speculate right now.
Speculating is all the fun man. When you have 6 closely ranked teams, this is the best part of it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Lol at people putting England at one. Win a series in SA - which is a good feat - suddenly makes everyone forget they only managed to draw a series in the WI, lost to Pakistan 2-0, draw with NZ 1-1 at home and 3-2 over Aus. They're about as Number 1 as New Zealand or Australia. They're the best team to have recently won a Test series, that's it.
Did you watch the series they lost 0-2 in the UAE (probably not)? They ran Pakistan mighty close.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
very tough to call, gave it to us on the back out of how easy we won the last 2 series, yes I know it was home yada yada idc

Would be a good time to have a test world cup!

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
With no clear leader it's a great opportunity for the BCs to fluke the No. 1 ranking for a few weeks after some tinny result.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yes. If Australia win in New Zealand, then they make a legitimate case as people are holding their away record against them.

Speculating is all the fun man. When you have 6 closely ranked teams, this is the best part of it.
Eh, not really. You can argue as much as you want but there isn't going to be a clear number 1 until one team starts racking up wins away just as much as they do at home. And the argument for which team you consider number 1 out of the 6 contenders right now can be applied to all the teams anyway. They're all pretty strong at homes with some random away wins. Except for England, who lost to Sri Lanka and India at home in the last 4 years so for me they're towards the bottom of the pile

Niall

International Coach
2 losses by over 100 runs. They competed well but couldn't do it for the whole match.
Pretty much this. The first test was meandering to a dull draw until an LOL collapse, second test England were unlucky not to save it, but were out of the running to win it very early on and third test despite a poor start was a comfortable win for Pakistan.

Bear in mind, Yasir missed the first test, the useless Shan played 2 tests (free wicket) Azhar was injured and the silliness on the eve of the first test with Gohar.

In saying that though, I think England will be handing them an absolute trashing this Summer despite the quality of their bowlers. Anderson and broad in England conditions against that batting line up is going to be absolute carnage.

You'd also expect England to beat Lanka although not as sure it will be as easy as Pakistan due to the Matthews factor and that a lot of their batsmen have some experience outside SC and in England quite recently unlike the Pakistani batsmen who have been in the SC exclusively for long long time.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, not really. You can argue as much as you want but there isn't going to be a clear number 1 until one team starts racking up wins away just as much as they do at home. And the argument for which team you consider number 1 out of the 6 contenders right now can be applied to all the teams anyway. They're all pretty strong at homes with some random away wins. Except for England, who lost to Sri Lanka and India at home in the last 4 years so for me they're towards the bottom of the pile
2016-2007 = 9

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at people putting England at one. Win a series in SA - which is a good feat - suddenly makes everyone forget they only managed to draw a series in the WI, lost to Pakistan 2-0, draw with NZ 1-1 at home and 3-2 over Aus. They're about as Number 1 as New Zealand or Australia. They're the best team to have recently won a Test series, that's it.
actually a good post. The sheer certainty so many are having over "England are the no. 1" is a bit laughable. They've had a few good Test matches and couldn't beat NZ at home or WI in the last year.

There's simply no outright no. 1 at all atm. England are as well places as any to get there though, their team looks very good atm but it's hard to say how much that opinion has been affected by a couple of good recent performances and whether it will hold up.

And yet Australia have a better recent away record than any other side except for SA

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And when Australia and New Zealand play at the end of the month, the winner of that will be the best in the world. It's rubbish to speculate right now.
actually a good post. The sheer certainty so many are having over "England are the no. 1" is a bit laughable. They've had a few good Test matches and couldn't beat NZ at home or WI in the last year.
Since then, England have improved and NZ have gone backwards. Australia have improved as well, but don't have the overseas record England have. Ditto re: India. Pakistan have lost Yasir and haven't done much overseas anyway. SA have backpedaled out of sight.

Hence, England the clear number 1. It's not by much but it's pretty clear.

Spark

Global Moderator
Since then, England have improved and NZ have gone backwards. Australia have improved as well, but don't have the overseas record England have. Ditto re: India. Pakistan have lost Yasir and haven't done much overseas anyway. SA have backpedaled out of sight.

Hmm, England's overseas record basically boils down to the SA win, as the India 2012 win is a bit in the distance now. Which is exactly the same as the Aus overseason record.

TNT

Banned

How does that work, I'm only asking because Australia have a better record depending on how you view it, so I'm interested in how you conclude that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, England's overseas record basically boils down to the SA win, as the India 2012 win is a bit in the distance now. Which is exactly the same as the Aus overseason record.
How does that work, I'm only asking because Australia have a better record depending on how you view it, so I'm interested in how you conclude that.
yeah fair.

Just feel England were beaten down a little less than Aus in the UAE.

I was going to say that they seem like their personnel would perform overseas better but that's probably not fair given Anderson and Broad don't actually have particularly good overseas records.

TheJediBrah

Can't agree with that at all. And the recent Aus overseas record is comfortably better than England's.

Except agree that SA definitely seem to be out of the mix.

TNT

Banned
yeah fair.

Just feel England were beaten down a little less than Aus in the UAE.

I was going to say that they seem like their personnel would perform overseas better but that's probably not fair given Anderson and Broad don't actually have particularly good overseas records.
another thing to include is the home record, Aus have only lost 1 of their last 22 home matches in the last 4 years compared to Eng who have lost 7 of 27.

Reduce that to 2 years and Aus have won 6 and lost 0 while Eng have won 7 and lost 5.

flibbertyjibber

I can see the arguments for all sides in this such is the murky state of cricket at the top at present but if England have a good home summer and beat both Sri Lanka and Pakistan there is a fair chance they will top the rankings by September. Safe to say whoever is ranked number 1 now or in September wouldn't beat the great Aussie side of the 90's onwards, the England side that got to number 1 the Saffer team under Smith or Dhoni's side that got to the top.

Having said that we are in a transition phase and each side has some very exciting players making their mark on the game at present and we don't quite know how good these guys are in comparison to the ones of the previous top sides. A fun year or so ahead I think.