• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best South African batsman ever

Select the best batsman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeamUp

International Coach
Most would have seen the ESPN legends of Cricket for Graeme Pollock but I liked watching this one, which brought in his early cricketing career more. Worth every second of the 26 minute viewing.

SeamUp

International Coach
About to watch the Jacques Kallis one. Not sure if there are others but will check afterwards.

SeamUp

International Coach
I must admit the votes on Graeme Pollock are a surprise to me. I guess he didn't go to play County Cricket or Shield Cricket like Barry Richards so maybe not remembered by those set of fans. But these videos above are fantastic and the insight into their genius is highlighted but obviously Barry was a genius himself.

1. Graeme Pollock
2. Barry Richards
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Dudley Nourse
5. AB De Villiers
6. Peter Kirsten
7. Hashim Amla
8. Eddie Barlow
9. Graeme Smith
10. Gary Kirsten
11. Aubrey Faulkner
12. Ken McEwan
13. Lee Irvine
14. Daryll Cullinan
15. Herschelle Gibbs
16. Colin Bland
17. Clive Rice
18. Brian McMillan
19. Denis Lindsay
20. John Waite
21. Henry Fotheringham
22. Jackie McGlew
23. Trevor Goddard
24. Kepler Wessels
25. Jonty Rhodes/Hansie Cronje/Herby Taylor/Alan Melville/Eric Rowan/Roy McLean (for the historical one's)

* Suppose Shaun Pollock/Mike Procter/Lance Klusener had batting potential to sneak in there.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
About to watch the Jacques Kallis one. Not sure if there are others but will check afterwards.

The Kallis one is awesome, 26 minutes is almost the perfect length without going too in depth. Great series.

Zinzan

I must admit the votes on Graeme Pollock are a surprise to me. I guess he didn't go to play County Cricket or Shield Cricket like Barry Richards so maybe not remember by those set of fans. But these videos above are fantastic and the insight into their genius is highlighted but obviously Barry was a genius himself.

1. Graeme Pollock
2. Barry Richards
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Dudley Nourse
5. AB De Villiers
6. Peter Kirsten
7. Hashim Amla
8. Eddie Barlow
9. Graeme Smith
10. Gary Kirsten
11. Aubrey Faulkner
12. Ken McEwan
13. Lee Irvine
14. Daryll Cullinan
15. Herschelle Gibbs
16. Colin Bland
17. Clive Rice
18. Brian McMillan
19. Denis Lindsay
20. John Waite
21. Henry Fotheringham
22. Jackie McGlew
23. Trevor Goddard
24. Kepler Wessels
25. Jonty Rhodes/Hansie Cronje/Herby Taylor/Alan Melville/Eric Rowan (for the historical one's)

* Suppose Shaun Pollock/Mike Procter/Lance Klusener had batting potential to sneak in there.
Also, you're tough on Cullinan. Outside his famous struggles with Warne, he had a damn good career. At least up there fighting Gary Kirsten for the no 10 spot.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also, you're tough on Cullinan. Outside his famous struggles with Warne, he had a damn good career. At least up there fighting Gary Kirsten for the no 10 spot.
Possibly. I loved Cullinan I suppose those Warne battle did leave a dent but when we just came back he was our best attacking batsman and classy too watch.

Personally I've always felt he and Gibbs underachieved , maybe its because of their schoolboy prodige stories and FC debuts at 16.

SeamUp

International Coach
wtf?

wtf 2.0?
McMillan averaged 40 in test cricket and was batting as high as 3 at times but was never given a steady position and didn't have many peak career years at international cricket. Best all-rounder in the mid 90's but he was extremely highly regarded by SA cricket fans, Bob Woolmer and those that watched him in his peak years.

Just put a quick list together while at work. Unfortunate that it needed at wtf though :laugh:

Last edited:

Zinzan

SA Test XI since readmission SeamUp?

Smith*
Kirsten
Amla
Kallis
Cullinan
AB +
Pollock
Philander
Steyn
Adams
Donald

Tough on Ntini and Morkel, but 5 seamers plus Kallis would be overkill.

SeamUp

International Coach

Smith*
Kirsten
Amla
Kallis
Cullinan
AB +
Pollock
Philander
Steyn
Adams
Donald

I would say so. If we wanted an extra...

batsman : Herschelle Gibbs
keeper : Mark Boucher
all-rounder : Brian McMillan
Then depending on balance those 2 strike bowlers (Ntini/Morkel) could come in.

Zinzan

Steyn, Donald, Pollock & Philander would be the most depressing attack to face... two magnificent menacing fast attacking speedsters & two accurate miserly surgeons. Captaining would be such an easy job.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Smith*
Kirsten
Amla
Kallis
Cullinan
AB +
Pollock
Philander
Steyn
Adams
Donald

Smith*
Kirsten
Amla
Kallis
ABdV
Cullinan
Boucher +
Pollock
Steyn
Schultz
Donald