cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: How did Boxes Effect the Dynamics Between Fast Bowlers and Batsman?

How did Boxes Effect the Dynamics Between Fast Bowlers and Batsman?

There is an old cricket joke: the first box was used in cricket in 1874 and the first cricket helmet was used in 1974 – it took men 100 years to realise that their head was also important. This pretty much sums up the box.

Although the joke states 1874 as being the year cricket boxes came into existence I think it must be earlier. As Simon Hughes’ excellent book ‘And God Created Cricket’ tells us, overarm bowling was around from about 1860 – so surely the box would have been used from then, along with all the other pieces of padding?

In fact, there is earlier evidence of some kind of protection being down there, from the time of John Nyren, a cricketer for one of the oldest clubs in the world, Hambledon, and an author. It was said (however fictional) that there was a player who had something resembling an aluminium box protecting his vital organs, from which a loud noise would emanate were it to be struck. Nyren was playing First Class cricket no later than 1817 – predating our previous estimate by over 40 years.
    Considering only the Test cricket fast men – and subjectively ignoring seam and swing merchants in FC cricket – we find:

* Pre-1877: N/A since no Test cricket existed.

* 1877-2015: They knocked over batsmen at 30.63 with a strike rate of 64.7.

......What does this mean in cricketing terms?

i. With boxes, runs were still scored against the fast men of the generation. *However, getting wickets became less hilarious. Batsmen could resist longer against the quick bowlers, perhaps powered by the protection aided confidence. Batting technique changed. Batsmen no longer bothered with bending over clasping hands over the family jewels in reflex. The new batsmen were not necessarily inferior to the old brigade, it was the evolution of a different technique with the diminished risk of "head" injury.

ii. When post-box fast bowlers arrived, they developed new skills to pick wickets at the same rate as their predecessors. With genital intimidation not being what it used to be, they extended their repertoire, developing the over-arm delivery to target the extreme ends of the body rather than just the centre. In Barnes, Trueman and Ambrose we witnessed many splendored munitions in their arsenal. Brett Lee perfected the low beamer because no one expects the low blow. In came the awkward bounce, off-cutter and other innovations to exploit the lowered guard (mentally speaking, not protection-wise).
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

International Captain indiaholic's Avatar
    One major change was the improvement in running between the wickets due to not lying on the ground writhing in pain.
    Many experts are of the opinion that the sport grew in popularity as young men who were previously disinterested in the game due to its adverse impact on their marital life, could join the game.
    G.I.Joe likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Heh.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Up until the age of twenty I never wore a box. At first I just backed away to everything and didn't think twice about it. Then when I got bigger as a teenager I learned how to get behind the line and doing so without a box teaches you how to do it correctly.

Only wore one when occassion demanded it throughout my career (e.g. the bowler was 120 plus) until 6 years ago when I top edged a sweep shot on my nuts. Blood everywhere. Shattered my confidence and can't bat without a box now. Havn't had occassion to do a sweep shot since.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Players back in the good old days didn't need a box because they had proper batting techniques and balls of steel.

The batsman that have emerged from the 1830s have grown up playing with a box, and as such are more willing to lunge forward to good length balls, without the fear of incurring injury to their own.

That forced fast bowlers to aim for new targets, such as the body, head, and occasionaly the stumps.
    mr_mister and G.I.Joe like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Someone do kiwiviktor's 6 foot 7 post
    zorax and AndyZaltzHair like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Someone do kiwiviktor's 6 foot 7 post
    When I played I didn't bowl bouncers unless the batsman had a box. Being 5'7" there was naturally a lack of bounce, and I was pretty sure that if I put down a decent bouncer I had a good chance of hitting a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Someone do kiwiviktor's 6' 7 post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Woah, he's 6' 7? Nice to know.
    zzz

Another relevant factor here could be the sizes of wood batsmen have nowadays. There was that image posted the other day of Barry Richards comparing wood from his days to the present day players' wood.

His expression said it all.

"It's just unrecognisable as a weapon. The only thing that seems to be in common is they've got wood and they've got a grip....... I really think there's going to be some serious injury. .................. I think they can get bigger and bigger until somebody gets injured."

Can Box technology keep up and contain the burgeoning wood problem?

Boxes allowed batsmen to grow balls, literally. I mean now there was no chance of the balls being cut short.

The batsman could now focus on the bowler's ball rather than his own balls. This increased focus saw batting averages increase with time. So the box made batsman more potent
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    So the box made batsman more potent
    It is interesting to consider that point in the literal sense.

It stands to reason that the introduction of the box would have greatly reduced the prevalence of impotence in the general male populace, thereby reducing the workload of doctors and freeing them to take up sporting pursuits in the spare time now bestowed upon them.

It would therefore not be amiss to say that the Box made possible the exploits of arguably the sport's greatest practitioner - Dr. W G Grace.
    zorax likes this.

interesting thing to note is that cricketers become X-cricketers when they move from behind the Box to the Commentary Box. They still retain their behind the box persona in the commentary box though
    G.I.Joe likes this.

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    Don't forget without boxes, there would be no Boxing Day test.
    zorax and G.I.Joe like this.

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    When I played I didn't bowl bouncers unless the batsman had a box. Being 5'7" there was naturally a lack of bounce, and I was pretty sure that if I put down a decent bouncer I had a good chance of hitting a guy.
    now the obvious question, how could you tell the difference
    indiaholic likes this.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Shanto, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Afif, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Have played with two guys who never wore boxes. Failed to comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Do the ladies bother with any protection in the 'abdominal area'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information