• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phillip Hughes - One Year On

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also, actual bad injuries are quite rare. You don't tend to see bowlers looking too concerned if they whack a guy on the arm below the shoulder, or the stomach or whatever. It's only usually when the head is involved or the batsman shows signs that he's seriously hurt that bowlers will check to make sure he's OK.
This is exactly it, I expect most quicks are willing to bruise an opponent but a serious injury? A life threatening injury?

Completely different story. No one wants that.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't realize it happened on the same date that Mumbai terror attacks happened in 2008.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think about the Hughes death more than any other celebrity passing, not just because of the freakness of the event but also because of the unfilled talent he had. I was far from a fan of his, but I always thought he'd amount to something special, eventually.

I guess I do look at the human side of Test Cricket a bit more now. Australia have just had 6 or so Test players retire in the space of 6 months, I haven't thought any decision was selfish or anything, whereas when I was younger I probably would have been more disappointed.

Unfortunately the 6 home Tests against India and NZ in the last year have been pretty boring. I have to say I'm looking forward to this Adelaide Test so much.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just really surprised people still go out to bat with no helmet on in weekend cricket.
Similarly Haddin (& others I'm sure) would still sometimes keep without sunglasses on after Boucher's incident, and it pissed me off so much

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, I can't imagine personally ever batting without a helmet now. Even to a slow loopy spinner. Very concerned when I see batsmen with no helmet on.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure how I feel on the whole thing really. I mean, it was a terrible accident and the worst possible outcome that such a talented player was killed so young doing what he loved.

But every player knows that cricket isn't a risk free game. He was out there fully aware that a projectile was going to be slung at him at high speed with a high risk of injury. This served as a wake-up call to manufacturers that protective gear needed to be improved, but I've been really disappointed at how that response has happened. There has been minor innovation to the helmet - as if the only concern is the batsman/fielder's head. Other deaths have occurred with close in fielders being hit on the sternum. I would have liked to have seen this serve as a reminder that multiple aspects of the game feature a high degree of danger and maybe that safety could have improved elsewhere. As if to remind me, watching a domestic T20 game last week, a batsman (Neil Broom) was struck on the forearm wearing no padding by a beamer at about 125kph. A bit of physio work, and then two balls later he's dismissed. Arm guard technology hasn't improved in years. Ross Taylor was hit in the nets in Zimbabwe and needed surgery on his netherregions. Perhaps some innovation could be used there as well.

Personally, I think there's been a hell of a lot of talk, but really not much in the way of action. We're using 80s and 90s technology in the main here and I think we could do better - both in terms of effectiveness of protection, but also efficiency of protection. I realise you're never going to be able to make any sport 100% safe, but the game could do much better at developing technologies to reduce the danger whilst not impacting on the game.

howardj

International Coach
One year hey?

Very sad

A champion young man, and a fledgling batting talent who never got the chance to totally fulfill it

Furball

Evil Scotsman
****ing sledger. Found out when I checked Facebook that morning and he'd shared the BBC's link to the news.

howardj

International Coach
It was very comforting, and I felt very privileged, to be a member of CW at the time of and in the aftermath of Phil's passing

As cricket lovers, we all had each other to lean on and reflect with

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah me neither and i love them. but i already get sad watching his highlights on youtube so I don't think I could handle a whole book

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've decided I'll read some of the pieces on him and watch some youtube this afternoon. I haven't done either for about 360 days.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm just really surprised people still go out to bat with no helmet on in weekend cricket.
I understand that, particularly in lower grade.

But I totally don't understand why ALL test/international/state/ high grade players aren't using that protective thing at the back of the helmets. Makes no sense to me at all.