• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides another one, the greatest All-Rounder ever. 32 players, Nomination thread!

watson

Banned
Never seen Maurice Tate as an allrounder before, but his FC batting record is extraordinary;

Matches: 679
Runs: 21,717
Average: 25.04
HS: 203
100s: 23
50s: 93

Throw in his 2784 wickets at 18.16 and you have yourself one great cricketer.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dont worry guys the noms arent concrete.

i'll add these 5 for now:

Noble
Armstrong
Goddard
Mustaq Mohammad
Benaud

So that's 32, but there's the possibility of taking someone out, Waugh I guess. Though tbh his test stats seem very similar to Reid except for the fact he averaged a lot more with the bat

I'm being a bit of a Waugh fanboy here tho obviously. If he's definitely gonna lose in round 1 may as well throw someone in to please the masses. So Reid, Foster, Watson, Tate or Afridi?

mr_mister

Imran
Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Miller
Kallis
Procter
Mankad
Flintoff
Grace
Kapil
Wilfred Rhodes
S Pollock
Chris Cairns
Dan Vettori
Klusener
Greig
Wasim
Hammond
Heath Streak
Shakib Al Hasan
Aubrey Faulkner
Clive Rice
Gilbert Jessop
Sanath Jayasuriya
Learie Constantine
Steve Waugh
Monty Noble
Armstrong
Goddard
Mustaq Mohammad
Richie Benaud

mr_mister

people are scoffing at players(Heath Streak) being included and then claiming players who averaged like... the same as them are far more deserving of a position. rose-coloured glasses, typical CW romanticising the past etc

mr_mister

I can't believe people are suggesting Lance Klusener doesn't deserve a run here. We're including test and ODI here people. The man was one of the best batsmen and bowlers at the World Cup when cricket was very competitive and full of ATG players

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Streak is alright IMO if we keep the likes of Hadlee and Wasim in there.

I personally wouldn't pick Waugh, Jayasuriya, Hammond and Cairns (just cuz of the fixing scandal), but the rest seem fine.

Arguably you could cut out the players known primarily for one skill - so out go Hadlee, Wasim, Waugh, Jayasuriya, Hammond, Pollock and Streak.

mr_mister

ok will wait for more feedback as to who should replace some of these players. I'm sure everyone wants Hadlee in, didn't he bat @ 7 a lot?

mr_mister

it's funny I feel Vettori's bowling will let him down more than his batting when the voting starts

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does Afridi need seconding or anything?

This competition needs a Freddie V Afridi final.

mr_mister

I think Akram's bowling was so far ahead of Watson's it easily compensates for Watson's "superior" batting

and Streak averaged nearly 30 with the bat in ODIs. So, so worthy of this contest

But I will replace Waugh

Last edited:

mr_mister

Afridi in, Waugh out

Imran
Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Miller
Kallis
Procter