• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best test batsman to average Under 61, 50, 40 and 30 IYO?

With a new ball on a new pitch in tests? Okay mate.
Its not even a novel idea.

The sub continental teams open an innings with spinners all the time. NZ is definitely no stranger to it.

Even Warne and MacGill have opened the bowling before.

You're adding the new pitch part but there is no 'new' pitch in the second innings for team or for match. And if its the best way to dismiss the opposing batsman who is the bigger threat - then a smart captain will implement it.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

The sub continental teams open an innings with spinners all the time. NZ is definitely no stranger to it.

You're adding the new pitch part but there is no 'new' pitch in the second innings for team or for match. And if its the best way to dismiss the opposing batsman who is the bigger threat - then a smart captain will implement it.
From the 273 innings he bowled in, how many times did Warne open the bowling?

And when you've answered that, tell me how many times MacGill opened the bowling in the 85 test innings he bowled in.

From the 273 innings he bowled in, how many times did Warne open the bowling?

And when you've answered that, tell me how many times MacGill opened the bowling in the 85 test innings he bowled in.
Irrelevant. Unless Alec Stewart is opening. And then it would be all spinners who bowled to him. The point was spinners can open and probably would open to reign Alec Stewart in if was to become some monstrous threatening opening batsman.

I respect my elders - but try and keep up pops. The red herrings are distracting you.

Last edited:
So has Glenn ****ing Maxwell..........doesn't mean it is generally a good idea.
I think that you're mistaken. I understand his middle name to be James.

Nathan Lyon has opened the bowling before as well. I do not understand why an Australian would find the concept so difficult to fathom.

But lets not bring "generally" into this and confuse the issue any more. Its just Alec Stewart being a bigger threat as an opening batsman than his batting partners. There is no general application to all openers.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Has Martin Crowe been mention yet? Certainly a 50+ average test batsman but he was picked too early and retired too late.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Irrelevant. Unless Alec Stewart is opening. And then it would be all spinners who bowled to him. The point was spinners can open and probably would open to reign Alec Stewart in if was to become some monstrous threatening opening batsman.

I respect my elders - but try and keep up pops. The red herrings are distracting you.
Try to make some sense in the midst of your trolling, if you want to keep people engaged with your ****...

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Martin Crowe been mention yet? Certainly a 50+ average test batsman but he was picked too early and retired too late.
I'm probably missing something, but wasn't he 33 when he retired? That doesn't seem too late....

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was pretty much destroyed by injuries by that time and played on because NZ were extremely garbage. Scored 300 in a test series in England while basically on one leg.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sobers, Worrell, Trumper/Hill/Grace, maybe Kapil? 20+ Innings.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Was the late departed CaptainGrumpy a previous troll with a new name? There seems to be hints somewhere that he was "Blocky" but I'd never of him.