• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs vs Sutcliffe vs Hammond vs Hutton. Who was the best batsmen?

Best of the best?

• Hobbs

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Sutcliffe

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Hammond

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Hutton

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simple question really. The three Big H's of English batting plus someone who averaged more than all of them. All played against Bradman.

Chrish

International Debutant
Hutton faced the quality pace bowling more consistently than anyone else. Hobbs played on some iffy wickets but the standard of bowling he faced is very debatable. So Hutton for me.

Remaining two, meh..

fredfertang

The balance between bat and ball tilted markedly in favour of the bowler in the immediate post war years - Sir Len by a short head for me

harsh.ag

Pre WWI, yes. Post WWI, things got much easier for batsmen. Hobbs scored 2465 runs at 57 pre war.

Last edited:

mr_mister

all those spoils of winning a war allowed for more funding in the right areas eg CRICKET PITCHES!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Difficult to split. Hutton for me for no particular reason other than I think he was a really rounded batsman who faced high quality pace bowling.

watson

Banned
Nothing between Hobbs and Hutton.

Hobbs faced Gregory and McDonald, Hutton faced Lindwall and Miller. All nasty propositions.

Hammond faced Wall. Not so nasty.

Sutcliffe too defensive and 'nudged' most of his runs by most accounts. Unless playing his compulsive hook that is.

Last edited: