• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG Draft - Batting Averages

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Angus Fraser (5-10)

Mister's Mash-up

Jack Hobbs
Alec Stewart +
Roger Twose
Aravinda De Silva
Clive Lloyd *
Gavin Hamilton
Shaun Pollock
Heath Streak
Trent Boult
Bill O'Reilly
Angus Fraser

Well I like it. Arguably the best opener ever in Hobbs, and he's paired with the best English opener of the dark age of English cricket, the mid 90s-early 00s. Stewart averaged more without the gloves, sure, but he also averaged a lot more opening up the innings and I can't be picky with this kind of draft.

Twose had an amazing few years on the International stage in the ODI format, facing all manner of ATG bowlers. "We need sixes, fours and Twose to win" should not be taken lightly. Underperformed in tests, but might have came good if he batted longer.

De Silva and Lloyd averaged under 50, sure, but both played tests for nearly 20 years each and scored 39 test centuries between them. De Silva is a Sri Lankan legend and Lloyd lead the West Indies during arguably the peak of the best cricket team ever, so he captains my XI.

Hamilton was alright I suppose. Had a good 99 world cup for Scotland, only played one test and got a duck, and really I needed an extra batsmen so he got a go. Could bowl too.

Pollock and Streak could both bat, they both have test tons under their belt and well Pollock averaged over 30 so obviously he is a capable number 7, Both great bowlers and right up there with the best their country has ever produced. Boult is proving to be one of NZ's best ever as well and will continue to get better. Only active player in the team. Fraser was one of the most consistent English players of their dark age, and along with Stewart was unlucky to miss out on the ATG XI of the modern age recently ran on this forum. And Tiger O'Reilly is one of the best spinners ever.
If anything in the longer format Hamilton was more of a bowler IIRC.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll take Wally Grout to keep wickets and bat 8 for me, which leaves me with:

Odd Jobs XI

1. WG Grace [7] (30-35)
2. Hanif Mohammad (40-45)
3. Frank Worrell [c] (45-50)
4. Jacques Kallis [5] (50+)
5. Warwick Armstrong [6] (35-40)
6. Michael Bevan (25-30)
7. Ray Lindwall [1] (20-25)
8. Wally Grout [wk] (15-20)
9. Clarrie Grimmett [4] (10-15)
10. Glenn McGrath [2] (5-10)
11.Ken Farnes [3] (0-5)
Solid side :thumbs_up Like seeing Grace and Worrell in the same team.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'll take Wally Grout to keep wickets and bat 8 for me, which leaves me with:

Odd Jobs XI

1. WG Grace [7] (30-35)
2. Hanif Mohammad (40-45)
3. Frank Worrell [c] (45-50)
4. Jacques Kallis [5] (50+)
5. Warwick Armstrong [6] (35-40)
6. Michael Bevan (25-30)
7. Ray Lindwall [1] (20-25)
8. Wally Grout [wk] (15-20)
9. Clarrie Grimmett [4] (10-15)
10. Glenn McGrath [2] (5-10)
11.Ken Farnes [3] (0-5)
Worrell such a great leader of men, but Warwick Armstrong was a hell of a Captain too. Led the '21 Aussies on one of the most dominating series ever. Hard choice but understandable to give the 'C' to Worrell.
Very strong side, Lindwall and McGrath would be great to see. The skiddy action of Lindwall is something of beauty. The control of McGrath of course, impeccable. Great batting too. Then Grout's probably the faster stumper I've seen on youtube. From people I've talked to who saw him have said he was lightning aswell.

J_C

U19 Captain
I'd take Percy McDonnell to complete my XI.

Arthur Shrewsbury (35-40)
Percy McDonnell (25-30)
David Gower (40-45)
Peter May (45-50)
Greg Chappell (c) (50+)
Billy Murdoch (+) (30-35)
Alan Davidson (20-25) / 2
Hugh Tayfield (15-20) / 4
Joel Garner (10-15) / 3
Sydney Barnes (5-10) / 1
Dilip Doshi (0-5) / 5

Pretty happy with the side with 9 of the 11 topping the ICC rankings at least once :) (Murdoch just misses out with a highest ranking of 2).

Last edited:

harsh.ag

***** - Martin Crowe
Howe - Fred Grace
WW - Mark Butcher
morgie - Kumar Ranjitsinhji.
Shady - Tillakratne Dilshan
harsh - Andy Ducat
mister - Angus Fraser
J_C - Percy McDonnell
TBY - Wally Grout
OS -Syed Kirmani
kiwiviktor - can pick
Zinzan - Bert Sutcliffe
watson - Majid Khan
schearzie - George Headley

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Syed Kirmani as my keeper and final pick. Was considering 4-5 different keepers but Kirmani is the best one to keep to someone like MacGill.

Final side:

The OS XI:

Charles Macartney
Archie MacLaren
Brian Lara
Kevin Pietersen
George Giffen
Syed Kirmani (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Stuart MacGill
Brett Schultz

Pretty pleased with the team. MacLaren was one of the best batsmen of his era, Macartney = awesome, Lara's a god with the blade and in the slips, KP is blockbuster entertainment, Giffen's a top class batsman and damn good offspinner and an allround great of his era, Kirmani can keep to anything and is gutsy as **** with the bat, and the bowling attack basically has everything, from brutal pace, to reverse swing, a brilliant leggie (MacGill) and a quality offie (Giffen).

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Many thanks to Shady for creating the idea of a unique draft. I think the team isn't too bad despite the difficulty of selecting from the various batting averages .

01. Graham Gooch
02. Majid Khan
03. Viv Richards
04. Neil Harvey
05. John R. Reid * 6
06. Trevor Bailey 3
07. Ken Wadsworth +
08. Sylvester Clarke 2
09. Michael Holding 1
10. Bishan Bedi 4
11. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar 5

As usual it's a typical Watson team that aims for balance and variety in both batting and bowling. A classic keeper who bats in the right third of the batting order is also desirable.

BATTING:
The top 4 is world class and is ably supported by a stubborn and aggressive lower middle-order. Bailey seems a little high in the batting order at first glance, but most of his innings for England were at No.6 or better, and he even opened the batting on 14 occasions.

The tail is long like many of the teams in this draft, but Wadsworth was a capable batsman who was good enough to hold the honour of being the first keeper to score a century in an ODI. Against the West Indies in 1972 Wadsworth joined Turner at 5 for 108, and together the pair piled on 220 runs. This remained the record 6 wicket partnership for NZ until it was eventually broken this year.

Sylvester Clarke was not an allrounder by any stretch but he was no mug with the bat either. In 1981 his 100 not out for Surrey against Glamorgan was recorded as the fastest of the season, 62 minutes. Michael Holding batted regularly at No.9 for the West Indies and has a top score of 73 in that position. Bedi and Chandra - ordinary.

BOWLING:
Sylvester Clarke averaged an excellent 27.85 in Test cricket, but it is his County stats that support the idea that he should have had a fairer go for the West Indies. His 942 wickets spread over a decade of service cost a mere 19.52 runs each. His peak season was 1988 when his average was an eye-popping 14.49. Clarke's new ball partner Michael Holding needs no introduction and together they form a truly ferocious proposition for any opening batsman.

Trevor Bailey and John R. Reid are the other two seamers. Bailey was of course the regular first change bowler to Trueman and Statham and the intermediate link to spinners Laker and Lock. He will perform a similar role in this team because of the inclusion of both Bedi and Chandra. Bailey took 132 Test wickets at a very creditable sub-30 average of 29.21.

This attack of 6 bowlers should not be under-rated as it has all the ingredients necessary to take 20 wickets on any surface. On a green top it would be a nightmare, on a turner it would be unplayable, and on something flat it has the variety to breakdown any batting order.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
George Headley to finish off my team. Atlas scored ten centuries in 22 matches against some great attacks. His one tour to Australia started slowly against Clarrie Grimmett and co., but he went to the nets and batted himself back to form scoring 2 centuries in the tests and over a thousand runs on the tour. His first class average of near 70 and test average of 60 are true indicators of how great he was.

The Schadows
1. Archie Jackson (47.40)
2. Grant Flower (29.54)
3. George Headley* (60.83)
4. Mark Waugh (41.81)
5. Monty Noble (30.25) (5)
6. Brian McMillan (39.36) (6)
7. Don Tallon+ (17.13)
8. Wasim Akram (22.64) (2)
9. Dennis Lillee (13.71) (1)
10. Lance Gibbs (6.97) (4)
11. Bill Bowes (4.66) (3)

Batting wise this team has some holes like most other sides in the draft but with the class of Jackson, Headley, Noble and Waugh along with McMillan and Flower I still think decent totals would be posted to bowl at.
I'm very happy with my pace attack of Lillee, Bowes and Akram with Noble and McMillan as all rounders. Gibbs was a great spin bowler holding the record wickets for a time and averaging below 30.
Wicket keeper is one of the greatest ever, so I was fairly blessed to get Deafy Tallon at a pretty good price. His batting was a lot better before the war and he wasn't particularly tested down the order in some of the test sides he played in.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Wanted a left-handed batsman to finish and was tossing up between Edrich, Thorpe & Sutcliffe. Keeping with my theme of incredibly elegant batsmen in the line-up, I decided on NZ legend, Bert Sutcliffe.

Really happy with my side overall. A batting line-up you'd travel a long way to see; Trumper, Guptill, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Hayward & Gilchrist, and considering the challenges of batting depth in this challenge, I think i've done well to have Vaas, Marshall & Steyn at 7,8 & 9.

But the real strength is the bowling attack. Not sure one could wish for a more menacing opening attack than Marshall & Steyn, with excellent seam support of Ntini and the left arm variety of Chaminda Vaas and the left arm spin of Australian legend Jack Saunders.

Chocolate Pavlova Roll XI

1. Victor Trumper (35-40)
2. Martin Guptill (25-30)
3. Burt Sutcliffe (40-45)
4. Walter Hammond (6) (50+)
5. Tom Hayward (30-34)
6. Adam Gilchrist + (45-50)
7. Chaminda Vaas (20-24)
8. Malcolm Marshall (15-20)
9. Dale Steyn (10-15)
10. Makhaya Ntini (5-10)
11. Jack Saunders (0-5)

Comprising of;

3 x Aust
2 x SA
2 x NZ
2 x Eng
1 x SL
1 x WI

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
i needed an opening batsman and i needed an allrounder.

i owe you one, sri lanka, tillakaratne dilshan at two (40.98)

Slim's Jims

1. Farokh Engineer+
2. Tillakaratne Dilshan (5)
3. VVS Laxman
4. AB de Villiers
5. Mark Ramprakash
6. Jonty Rhodes
7. Mike Brearley*
8. Tim Southee (2)
9. James Anderson (1)
10. Terry Alderman (3)
11. Alf Valentine (4)

My squad has a lot going for it, I think. Starting with a very good wicketkeeper-bat in Engineer opening with an allrounder who can keep it tight in Dilshan.

If you get an opener out then have fun, it's Laxman. You get him and good for you, ABDV. Mark Ramprakash at five is a strong player with a ridiculous average for country over 50 who never got it going in tests but definitely had potential. Super athletic and a feeling ATG Jonty Rhodes is then at six, another batsman with a lot of talent, but with a strong test record.

The man with a degree in people according to Rodney Hogg is seven, who though he was not the best batsman was one of if not the best captains in all cricket. I'd say I have what is probably the deepest pure batting lineup, as in with the most "career batsmen"

New ball goes to a pairing of Jimmeh and Timmeh who get some rad swing and at first change the mediums of Terry Alderman with even more swing and even more accuracy on a nagging length. Alf Valentine, who dicked an entire English team assisted by fellow spinner Sonny Ramadhin is who I have entrusted with spin bowling and he's a fine man to entrust with it. Rounding off is my allrounder with Dilshan, another spinner who has a career based on keeping it tight during overs when his frontline bowlers were tired.

Very happy with my lineup and thanks for drafting with me lads, I'm glad it was a well received idea for a draft.

mr_mister

updated team with bowling order

Mister's Mash-up

Jack Hobbs
Alec Stewart +
Roger Twose
Aravinda De Silva
Clive Lloyd *
Gavin Hamilton (6)
Shaun Pollock (1)
Heath Streak (2)
Trent Boult (3)
Bill O'Reilly (5)
Angus Fraser (4)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'll take Jason Gillespie (15-20) to complete my team and the draft.

The Bottom Feeders:

1. Mark Richardson
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Matthew Bell
4. Brendan Taylor (wk)
5. Brendon McCullum (c)
6. Sir Garry Sobers (4)
7. Daniel Vettori (5)
8. Andre Adams (6)
9. Jason Gillespie (2)
10. Sir Andy Roberts (1)
11. Willie Watson (3)