• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll 3: Playing Selector: Openers for all time subcontinental XI

Select TWO openers for the AT Subcontinental Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
You know their stats. Now select two of these gentlemen to open the batting for the AT Subcontinental XI

Also, you can select anyone else of your choice not listed in the poll.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'm going to have to mull over between Merchant and Sehwag to bat alongside Sunny.
That's not to mention how much I enjoyed others amongst that list, Anwar in particular

cnerd123

likes this
I thought I'd do the "vote only BD" schtick for all these polls but figured that would be overkill.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gavaskar a lock in for one of the spots.

For me the toss up is between Hanif, Anwar, and Sehwag.

Despite Sehwag murdering bowling attacks left, right, and center I always felt that the bowlers were in with a chance with him. Didn't give me that feeling of confidence and dependability that i would have liked whenever I watched him bat. I probably rate him lower than most (that being a function of not having watched him bat too often).

cnerd123

likes this
Nah you're right, Sehwag is completely unreliable. But in an ATG XI that's not a problem. He's opening with Sunny and will most likely have Dravid, Sachin, Sanga and another ATG following him. Unreliable is fine given how epic he can be when he clicks.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't really call someone who averages 50 unreliable. Atleast in the SC, he was as reliable as any of our other ATGs. It's not as though he was hit or miss in the SC at all. He was reliably awesome. Just gave the impression of being unreliable because of his approach.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar & Sehwag.

Would love to see either of Merchant/Hanif but I guess Sehwag works with the rest of the lineup about to be drafted in

viriya

International Captain
I was gonna go Gavaskar + Sehwag but then I noticed Hanif.

Actually it still should be Gavaskar + Sehwag jk.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
imagine if sehwag of all people actually got his third and was the only man to have 3 test triple centuries to his name. imagine. lol

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
imagine if sehwag of all people actually got his third and was the only man to have 3 test triple centuries to his name. imagine. lol
Deserved it too. I don't think I've ever seen a more outrageous innings than that 293. Almost 300 in 80 odd overs ffs. Would've finally shut up all those people gushing over Bradman's 300 in a day.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Anyone not voting Gavaskar and Sehwag needs to have their head examined.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've voted for Gavaskar and Sehwag. I wasn't too convinced my Sehwag in the early days as I didn't think you could bat like that in Test Cricket over a long period and get away with it. Not only did he manage it, but now they're all at it. :toot: