• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Almost nearly but not quite ATG XI discussion

smash84

The Tiger King
I wanted to start off my team with a bowler. Put down Mohammad Sami first up.

Then realized that Sami is an ATG. He has an average of 50+ and has played more than 40 tests with that average. He is an ATG in terms of average and also longevity with that kind of a bowling average.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So not a second XI, but players I wouldn't consider for an AT Aust XI...

Bill Brown
Michael Slater
David Boon
Norman O'Neill
Lindsay Hassett *
Doug Walters
Jack Gregory
Hugh Trumble
Wally Grout +
Jason Gillespie
Craig McDermott

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australia just produces an endless assortment of champion fast bowlers. Not sure Merv is the first cab off the rank after Lindwall, Davidson, Miller, Lillee and McGrath (who are rightly excluded as ATG contenders). Bonus points for the moustache?
Dunno that it had to be first cab off the rank, just players who wouldn't be considered.

Fwiw, fast bowlers I'd consider for an Aus atg team are: Lillee, McGrath, Lindwall & Davidson (plus Miller but as an AR)

Next best would include: McDermott, Thomson, Gillespie, Hughes, McKenzie, Gregory, McDonald, Johnson, Rhino, maybe Lee

Not sure where to include early era bowlers like CTB Turner and Spofforth.

Midwinter

State Captain
Australia

Slater
Lawry
D Jones
M Waugh
Martyn
McCabe
Marsh
Brett Lee
Gillespie
MacGill
Thomson

with my all-time great XI being

Hayden
Morris
Bradman
Ponting
G Chappell
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
O' Reilly
McGrath

Players such as Benaud, Healy, Ponsford, Hassett, Clarke, Border, Miller, Lindwall are left in limbo, too good for the first team not good enough for the second team IMO
And where is Trumper ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Navjot Sidhu
Ravi Shastri
Mohinder Amarnath
Dilip Vengsarkar
Sourav Ganguly*
Virat Kohli
MS Dhoni+
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Umesh Yadav
Zaheer isn't really an ATG. An Indian ATG maybe but definitely not when compared to the rest of the world.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Andrew Flintoff
Matt Prior
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Steve Harmison
James Anderson

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think I will bother with New Zealand. Theirs would be the NZ ATG XI less Hadlee and Crowe.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The OP asks for a team with players who won't be considered for the first XI. Both Zaheer and Srinath must be considered for the first XI.

And in case you're wondering - this was not an attempt at comedy from me.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To qualify players must have had at least a semi decent Test career but must not be a candidate for an ATG XI.

Doesn't specfy whether it's a world or country xi..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I put an England XI in the opening post as an example. If someone chooses to pick a World XI they won't be considered a lesser person.