• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

jcas0167

International Debutant
If McCullum retires from ODI's I think they will bring in Tom Latham. In an ideal world Jesse Ryder could come back, but that seems unlikely.

For the tests I think Guptill's World Cup runs will make him next in line if they decide to replace Rutherford. Guptill looked pretty good against the SA & Australian attacks before getting run out, then in the final bowled by the spinner. Plus he has extensive experience in English conditions through county cricket. He'll be there again I understand playing County cricket anyway, so will have a good build up.

I really hope in the new FTP that New Zealand and Australia are split up so that we can actually get at least 3 Tests against New Zealand. Particularly galling as Pakistan were scheduled for 4 Tests next summer.
Seconded. Given the amount of limited overs cricket, I'd prefer they scrapped the ODI's on this tour in favour of a third test. Two test series are insulting.

Flem274*

123/5
I think I almost sent this as a post report so will try again. Brownlie has shown he's no spud against SA in SA and aus in aus so I think he's first in line pending success in tour games. Love my Guppy though.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
If McCullum retires from ODI's I think they will bring in Tom Latham. In an ideal world Jesse Ryder could come back, but that seems unlikely.

For the tests I think Guptill's World Cup runs will make him next in line if they decide to replace Rutherford. Guptill looked pretty good against the SA & Australian attacks before getting run out, then in the final bowled by the spinner. Plus he has extensive experience in English conditions through county cricket. He'll be there again I understand playing County cricket anyway, so will have a good build up.

Seconded. Given the amount of limited overs cricket, I'd prefer they scrapped the ODI's on this tour in favour of a third test. Two test series are insulting.
Jessie Ryder is just a damaging personality in this current team format. We all want him in the side but we don't have to play with and/or manage him. He was given a chance with the NZ A tour Nov 2014 and turned it down. So in my opinion he's finished with the Blackcaps.

Tom Latham has batted at 4/5 if I'm not mistaken and never opened. be interesting.

Yeah why only two tests ? Bring the ODI series down to 3 and add another test.

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
I think I almost sent this as a post report so will try again. Brownlie has shown he's no spud against SA in SA and aus in aus so I think he's first in line pending success in tour games. Love my Guppy though.
what about for ODIs ? Brownlie hasn't exactly been a roaring success

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson is way better than Neesham at batting and bowling.
Neesham somehow through a mixture of self belief and downhill skiing scored a couple of centuries and has enjoyed a high average ever since. Neesham is a poor man's Oram at best.

The fact that Guptill has entered the frame for consideration on the back of ODI success is a joke.
ODIs can be considered as a predictor of success in tests if we are discussing a fresh face. But if someone has already been through the merry go round of tests - then the only way back is through FC performances and A team tours. Not ODIs. Especially in Guptill's case since he was initially selected for tests because he was a revelation in ODIs and then he stunk in red ball cricket.

Another example is Franklin he got chance after chance in tests on the back of some good ODI knocks despite having a technique that was fundamentally inadequate.

Give Brownlie a go. Don't even take Guptill on tour.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My word. Look, Munro is competing for a spot in the middle order. There is no way that he's gonna be chucked in as an opener without any experience of it - at least in Tests. Brownlie has made a play this season to grab that openers berth by taking that role for ND. And he's scored runs doing it. I'm certainly not expecting that Brownlie will be a success and, quite frankly, someone who could average 30-35 is going to be a massive step up over what we have had in the last 10 years, but Munro is never going to average 30-35 whilst opening - in Test cricket - in English conditions - in May. How can I say Brownlie would be better? Well, he may not have been "successful" at opening (arguable) but at least he's opened. Opening is not the same as batting in the middle order and the volume of sixes scored is a complete irrelevance to opening in Test cricket.
Why are you responding...I wouldn't waste my breath. If he wants to pump Munro to open in tests let him.
Might as well be suggesting Hira.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Anderson is way better than Neesham at batting and bowling.
Neesham somehow through a mixture of self belief and downhill skiing scored a couple of centuries and has enjoyed a high average ever since. Neesham is a poor man's Oram at best.

The fact that Guptill has entered the frame for consideration on the back of ODI success is a joke.
ODIs can be considered as a predictor of success in tests if we are discussing a fresh face. But if someone has already been through the merry go round of tests - then the only way back is through FC performances and A team tours. Not ODIs. Especially in Guptill's case since he was initially selected for tests because he was a revelation in ODIs and then he stunk in red ball cricket.

Another example is Franklin he got chance after chance in tests on the back of some good ODI knocks despite having a technique that was fundamentally inadequate.

Well take Guppy for the ODIs . Its been suggested in the media that Guppy should open instead of Rutherford in the tests. Im not sure. I think give Rutherford another chance.

OK Colin Munro wont open. he deserves to be in the ODI squad batting somewhere.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have long campaigned for Munro to be in the ODI team so we are in agreement there. He should take on whatever role required to get into the team.
It is a real pity that his Bowling lacks cunning or he could be an excellent 6th bowling option. He has a marvellous action but somehow always gets smacked in limited overs because he comes on to the bat nicely and hasn't invested much time in developing variations.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well take Guppy for the ODIs . Its been suggested in the media that Guppy should open instead of Rutherford in the tests. Im not sure. I think give Rutherford another chance.

Rutherspud has had plenty of chances and has shown nothing to suggest he'll succeed in Test cricket. If we want someone who will average in the late 20s, then we have Guptill who's a vastly superior fielder and can provide a bit of variation with the ball if necessary. Basically, if you want to select a spud - why not the one who's a superb fielder.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Rutherford got better in the Sri Lanka series didn't he? Even if he didn't have the scores to show for it. So just edges out Guptill at this stage IMO. But somehow not backing either of them to fire against Eng or Aus away from home. Brownlie at least has something of a past record against pace, and did what was asked of him for ND. Would take Rudders as reserve opener for this tour, maybe have a look at Guptill for Australia if his ODI form indicates he's playing well.

Latham
Brownlie
KW
Taylor
McCullum
Neesham
Watling (strongly tempted to move him to 6)
Craig
Southee
Bracewell
Boult

Anderson, Sodhi, Wagner and Rutherford as reserves.

Number 6 is a major worry for me as I feel Neesh and Corey might get found out in early season English conditions. Really need Vettori circa-2009 for that spot. Henry unlucky to miss out but too early to dump Bracewell or Wagner. If they do feel a squad of 16 is necessary for a 2-test series he can join in.

Personally though NZ and England are well matched I think the IPL will do a lot of damage as far as this tour is concerned. McHesson' planning becomes vital here.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I have long campaigned for Munro to be in the ODI team so we are in agreement there. He should take on whatever role required to get into the team.
It is a real pity that his Bowling lacks cunning or he could be an excellent 6th bowling option. He has a marvellous action but somehow always gets smacked in limited overs because he comes on to the bat nicely and hasn't invested much time in developing variations.
Munro seems to enjoy a lot of support on CW, find it perplexing. Seem to remember him looking distinctly village whenever I watched him for NZ and for the Aces in those T20 tournaments (great reverse hitter I'll admit). Then again I didn't think Oram would cut it as a batsman when I first saw him, so open to having a re-look.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Lol I doubt Hesson and the selectors will make any changes to the test team. 5 years ago they would make change after change. Not now though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't put it as strongly as that. If someone's done seriously well in ODIs then I think that's more of an indicator than how he goes against domestic attacks in FC cricket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

I agree, but Guptill hasn't really had the opportunity to dominate in FC cricket because of how many ODIs he's played recently.

Still think Brownlie is a better bet, then Jeet Raval, but I wouldn't mind him getting another shot after those 2 fail (which would take at least a year, given how much of a rope McHesson gives).

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
This may seam a bit premature but is this our last tour to england before the world cup, i think the test side will be kept quite stable but i think Mike Hesson will overhaul the odi side as what are the short term goals of this side
1) win test series in eng
2) win test series vs aus
3) retain chapple haddle

would not surprise me if kuggelijn santner devcich all make odi side

Flem274*

123/5
I agree, but Guptill hasn't really had the opportunity to dominate in FC cricket because of how many ODIs he's played recently.

Still think Brownlie is a better bet, then Jeet Raval, but I wouldn't mind him getting another shot after those 2 fail (which would take at least a year, given how much of a rope McHesson gives).
Nah lookjeet raval should be a gun but he isn't. He plays for the same team as Guptill on the same pitches and scores less runs. He scores one or two hundreds eachseason then 30s for the rest. Guptill since bring dropped from the test teamhas scored about a billion for Auckland and has a better technique. 2011 Guptill wasn't capabld of 237 and fighting through that new ball spell in the final. It would have been a 40-70 and a duck.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah lookjeet raval should be a gun but he isn't. He plays for the same team as Guptill on the same pitches and scores less runs. He scores one or two hundreds eachseason then 30s for the rest. Guptill since bring dropped from the test teamhas scored about a billion for Auckland and has a better technique. 2011 Guptill wasn't capabld of 237 and fighting through that new ball spell in the final. It would have been a 40-70 and a duck.
Holy ****, since when has Phlegm been a non believer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I see Craig hasn't played for Otago for a while due to a knee injury. If he's not fit for the May tests, who do NZ go with? Go with Jeets (if he's available) or the Tastle? Surely Sodhi can't still be favoured purely on the basis of his age.