• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
yep. thought it was flukey as hell. wrote it off as an isolated incident. just something about the way he batted, I dunno

obviously i was wrong

edit - i just checked his stats from that series... other than the 180 and another score of 60, his top was 30 from the other 8 innings. averaged 37. hardly ATG material

musta been why i didn't rate him
Yeah, tbf to you outside that big hundred he didn't do **** all that series. But that was when the England selectors first lost their mind and moved him up to opener. Prior to that he'd been tracking quite nicely at 5........nicely meaning settling into test cricket comfortably, not setting the world on fire.

Flem274*

123/5
I thought Smith in 2010 was a bits and pieces bloke with a muddled technique who was being fluffed around a bit and needed to choose batsman or leg spinner, I thought Root was quality when I first saw him and was initially optimistic about Kane but began losing faith and thought he might end up a high 30s or low 40s player.

I got Rahane (thought he was crazy but good enough to get away with averaging around 45, and he is but he's also got the ability to bat normally sometimes) but two big recent misses are Brathwaite and Latham. Latham especially loved to randomly flirt wide outside off in the 30s all the way until he got the full time test opener role and scored two tons in a row.

tl;dr - picking the best players of the future is hard.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Smith in 2010 was a bits and pieces bloke with a muddled technique who was being fluffed around a bit and needed to choose batsman or leg spinner, I thought Root was quality when I first saw him and was initially optimistic about Kane but began losing faith and thought he might end up a high 30s or low 40s player.

I got Rahane (thought he was crazy but good enough to get away with averaging around 45, and he is but he's also got the ability to bat normally sometimes) but two big recent misses are Brathwaite and Latham. Latham especially loved to randomly flirt wide outside off in the 30s all the way until he got the full time test opener role and scored two tons in a row.

tl;dr - picking the best players of the future is hard.
yeah i thought that too. His unbeaten 50 in Sydney??? I think when the rest of the team collapsed was his coming of age according to the commentators... but I thought it was going to be the high point of his career

didn't see him averaging over 40

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Braithwaite would do way better tbh. It's only been a short slump for him as before the Australia series, he was getting a hundred almost every series, and he's still extremely young.so I'm still backing him to become a 45+ averaging opener.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Braithwaite is quality. 45 as an opener equals 50+ from number 3 however.

Pencil me in for low 40s for the next 5 years and then for him to crack the code and become h4x for 3-4 years.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There are a number of reasons that make batsmen batsmen and all rounders unable to acheive the same heights from a batting perspective. One of them is simply conceptualising the feeling of success on a frequent basis. Braithwaitte has been experiencing the highs of making big scores since a very young age. He knows what it means to dominate an attack, and he knows what it means to conquer them by scoring a century. He will gravitate all those experiences towards him in the test arena because he expects them to happen.

He is learning his craft at the moment. His defensive set up is excellent as is the knowledge of the location of his off stump.

He will be in most people's world XI before long.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big call, 45+ is massive for an opener. He's not that good imo.
I rate him. If Gayle could average 41-42, I see no reason why Braithwaite can't average a bit more. He's got a lot of hurdles which could prevent him from being that good though, main one being the team he plays in and obviously the board.

Spark

Global Moderator
yep. thought it was flukey as hell. wrote it off as an isolated incident. just something about the way he batted, I dunno

obviously i was wrong

edit - i just checked his stats from that series... other than the 180 and another score of 60, his top was 30 from the other 8 innings. averaged 37. hardly ATG material

musta been why i didn't rate him
Him having hardly any front foot technique at all at the time against an excellent bowling attack with the new ball probably didn't help.

Howsie

International Captain
I didn't think Kane would ever look quite this good. I though he'd have a record similar to Crowe, not be a guy who looks so.... Completely comfortable.
tbf, most New Zealand CW's had stupidly given up on Williamson averging 50+ in test cricket 6 months into his career. Did my head in at the time. As did the whole "he'll just never be a good one day player" I think 20 tests into his career he'd played 14 of them away, and of those seven series only one fo them was a 3 test match series, his debut one against India. Otherwise it was just two test matches here, and then off to the next country. Tough on a really young kid tbh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
and of those seven series only one fo them was a 3 test match series, his debut one against India. Otherwise it was just two test matches here, and then off to the next country. Tough on a really young kid tbh.
With the way that away sides are getting steamrollered right now it seems like that would be the easier way to learn in Test cricket, or at least a more useful way. If India and Australia had been able to get out of England after two tests they'd be going home pretty pleased with themselves. And I can't think of a tougher time for a player than when you're at the back end of a 4-0 or 5-0 smashing and the team just wants to go home.

Howsie

International Captain
Depends how you look at it I suppose. Again, if you take Williamson and look at his career to date, he averages 44 in both the first and second test of a series. He's played six series where there has been a third test and he averages 84, double his career average. That suggests to me someone who if given time will generally work out the conditions and bowlers he's up against the longer a series goes on.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah there was some debate in another thread a while back whether long test series make life easier or harder. Some (me included) were arguing you can pick yourself up off the floor and learn and adapt, like New Zealand did in the UAE (I'm not sure if that was the example at the time but it's a good one to use). Others argued it could draw out the pain for failing players, using Kohli in England as an example.

Perhaps unsurprisingly posters from commonly two test series nations picked one side and fans of those who get long test series picked the other. Looking back I think it comes down to the individual player and the team culture. If you're quick to identify the problem and adapt your game then you can become a better player as the tour continues. If you can't figure out the issue or just can't apply your solution well then you're going to have a miserable time.

Three test series could well be perfect from a developmental POV. They're long enough for you to learn what you're doing wrong, make changes and apply them to the next test but also short enough that you can escape after just three games if you don't have an answer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, tbf to you outside that big hundred he didn't do **** all that series. But that was when the England selectors first lost their mind and moved him up to opener. Prior to that he'd been tracking quite nicely at 5........nicely meaning settling into test cricket comfortably, not setting the world on fire.
He grew up as an opener, they were always going to give him a crack at it at some stage. Probably the best thing for him that they did it then, discarded the idea and let him be now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Three test series could well be perfect from a developmental POV. They're long enough for you to learn what you're doing wrong, make changes and apply them to the next test but also short enough that you can escape after just three games if you don't have an answer.

This. I can only imagine how it would have been for Ricky Ponting if that 2001 series was 5 tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He grew up as an opener, they were always going to give him a crack at it at some stage. Probably the best thing for him that they did it then, discarded the idea and let him be now.
Yeah, he'd have been planted there at some point, given the rate we go through openers. Would have been more detrimental had it happened in the last two years given his golden run.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This is the first time since I started the thread that the 'Yes' side has more votes than 'No'.

All aboard the Kane Train!