• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The landscape is changing in World Cricket

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That is because he doesnt hit it in the air very often and no advancement in bat technology will help balls hit on the ground clear the fence.

I took a random look at Mark Waugh and the people who opened the batting in his first and last ODI - ie looking at the generation or three before Cook.

Cook hits the same number of 4s per match (4) as Gilchrist. He hits more 4s per match than Boon, M. Waugh and Geoff Marsh. He hits more 6s per match than Boon and Slater (who admittedly has a poor ODI record but is not someone you would ever call a grinder - Cook of course hits far more 4s per game than Slater as well.)

I would argue that bat technology clearly helps Cook (though I would never use the phrase "plucky performer who grinds out scores" as I think it is a very shallow assessment) but it is seen in 4s rather than 6s by virtue of the way he plays. Balls that would have gone for two now go for 4 and even defensive pushes which previously may have been dot balls can now go to the boundary.
Doesn't that suggest that Cook might have a problem with dabbing the ball around and running singles and twos? Defensive pushes that go for four might just as well easily be lobbed to a fielder now where it might have fallen short before. Advancements in bat technology do not necessarily imply a positive for the batsman.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Certainly think the game needs more restrictions on bat sizes. Bad techniques and lack of skill is being rewarded too much.

I think players like ABdV and Warner really don't need thick bats to bat the way they do anyway seeing that they already have immense strength, natural timing and hand eye coordination.
Not sure if the bat size is the reason rather than a larger sweet spot. Its undeniable that these days even a tail ender can miss-hit sixes. Back in the day real miss-hits would be lucky to clear mid on. Boundaries also come into play, I remember when I first started watching cricket, you would see a well timed cover drive only just beat a fielder to the rope.

That said, players like Gayle/Warner etc have undeniable power. Batspeed has definitely improved with the technology.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You make a very valid point. Big hits have always been big hits. It is just that previously players had to weigh a 6 vs a miss hit and getting out. Now there is little consideration as a miss hit can equally travel over the boundary. There is no disincentive to throwing the willow at the ball. A lot of the skill of judging the right ball to go after and making sure you middle it has gone. Of course, there have been other gains in skills as batsmen adjust to this new environment and play some incredible innings in the modern game but there is no doubt that modern bats help all batsmen regardless of ability. Players have to be less precise where the ball hits the bat - that is no small thing.

Would you guys say it also explains why so many tailenders are able to bat better now? They are able to score some runs with just pushes and their mistimed strokes don't often result in them getting out..

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Definitely has helped tail enders. The type of player who was once categorized as 'slogger' is now a genuine batting threat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just how many of the recent slogs by Shami or Anderson or Johnson resulted in them getting out instead of those huge game changing partnerships they ended up being a part of? It is amazing..

Spark

Global Moderator
Just how many of the recent slogs by Shami or Anderson or Johnson resulted in them getting out instead of those huge game changing partnerships they ended up being a part of? It is amazing..
Johnson isn't a slogger. High quality genuine lower order bat when he gets in. Shami, yeah, Anderson's more of a blocker though.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Johnson is probably one of the most natural timer of the ball that I've seen, as well as being as strong as an ox now, it's just that he bats like he's playing golf. Terrible technique, though it's really fun to watch when he comes off.

Spark

Global Moderator
He can play million dollar timed drives through mid-on one day and look borderline unstoppable and then the next innings miss a nothing ball on middle stump. Enormous gap between his best and his worst (like his bowling, oddly)

Antihippy

International Debutant
Also has a test century from thrashing south africa, so you can't really compare him to shami. Don't get me wrong though, I love watching shami bat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think bat technology is somewhat overrated.
It's false to say that mis-hits never cleared mid on. There were plenty of players back in the day who's mis-hits have gone for six.

I think smaller boundaries is more of a culprit, but it's also likely that players have just gotten better at slogging - more exposure to limited overs cricket, as well as team practice where the goal is to hit the thing as far as you can.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Sky did a few tests last year comparing bats from different eras and the difference between the old bats and the new bats if the ball wasn't middled really was vast.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's false to say that mis-hits never cleared mid on. There were plenty of players back in the day who's mis-hits have gone for six.

I think smaller boundaries is more of a culprit, but it's also likely that players have just gotten better at slogging - more exposure to limited overs cricket, as well as team practice where the goal is to hit the thing as far as you can.
Smaller boundaries certainly play a role. And certain players previously had mis hits go for 6 but they had to wield a piece of wood like a railway sleeper. Modern bats are fat but pick up light. You dont have to be G. Pollock anymore to mash the ball.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Smaller boundaries certainly play a role. And certain players previously had mis hits go for 6 but they had to wield a piece of wood like a railway sleeper. Modern bats are fat but pick up light. You dont have to be G. Pollock anymore to mash the ball.
Modern bats are actually heavier.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Modern bats are actually heavier.
You miss my point. Modern bats can be heavy but they pick up light. Big powerful men like Clive Lloyd and Graeme Pollock used bats over 3lbs in weight (heavier than used now) and they felt like it as well. With modern contouring, weight distribution and 'bat technology', players today can pick up and use bats of a weight that previously only the strongest men could wield.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bat technology = contouring and weight distribution.

Yes it can make it feel a little more ergonomical but it's still a bat held in a handle of the same mass.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bat technology = contouring and weight distribution.

Yes it can make it feel a little more ergonomical but it's still a bat held in a handle of the same mass.
Oversimplification as things like how the bat is pressed is 'bat technology.'

As for being the same mass. That may be true but it doesnt feel that way at all. It has made huge changes. Thousands of examples illustrated online (below are a couple I quickly pulled) or you could just hold the bats yourself. Im a big guy but always batted with something light as I didnt like the short stuff and wanted something I could get to head height quickly. I can do the same now with a 2lb10oz bat what I could with a 2lb6 or 7 oz before and when I hit it it stays hit.

YOU only need look at modern bats to know they're bigger. Gone are the two-pound, six-ounce toothpicks used by many great players of yesteryear, replaced instead by 2lb 10oz (1.19kg) of unbridled wooden fury with huge edges and power zones.

The amazing thing, though, is the bats still feel as if they weigh the same as their kindling cousins.

or

The weight of Ponsford’s bats, once considered exceptional, are now considered on the light side of average. By pressing the timber less, bats can be made much heavier whilst still retaining a light feel and pickup.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think that them being pressed lighter means they have more spring and the ball pings off the bat better.

I don't believe that they feel all that much lighter because I don't think the center of gravity has changed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Nah, leading edges have middles now, with the edges being so thick.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Johnson isn't a slogger. High quality genuine lower order bat when he gets in. Shami, yeah, Anderson's more of a blocker though.
You are missing the point.. Those knocks had an extraordinary number of slogs or hailmary shots that were mistimed for 4s or fell well away from the fielders in the ring.. This is not a knock on their respective batting abilities but a comment on their most recent "saving" partnerships where they all got away with very bad shots just because of how good the bats were, IMO..