• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you just did not sledge

Debris

International 12th Man
Some players had a reputation for playing better if the opposition sledged them. The ones that I thought of immediately

Viv Richards
Curtly Ambrose
Steve Waugh
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Mitchell Johnson

Who were the players that really got motivated by a verbal stoush?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure about Johnson, at least before he was converted into an actual bowler circa 2013

cnerd123

likes this
Sledging some players like Dravid, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Amla, Sachin and Sehwag would just be a waste of time and energy.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Devon Malcolm? Not sledging per se, but South Africa bounced him and he then took a 9-fer to draw the series.

Burgey

AB (the real one, not the Saffer) used to pick a fight with someone on the other team if he was struggling when he was batting so he'd get a bite then start concentrating harder.

Burgey

This is actually true. Mind you, I never really sledge on the field unless someone says something to me, then it's open slather.

Though last weekend I had to say something to the young bloke opening the bowling to me who bowled seven straight wides at the start of the second over. I asked the umpire "How many left please ump?" and the young bloke got the ****s. After nine balls I had to play one and blocked it back to him with a hearty "Heya! There you go mate!" Anyway, we were 30 odd after two overs with five runs off the bat. Weird game. Had an opening partnership which lasted 37 minutes, but I got out first in the 5th over.

Top_Cat

Have noticed no one really goes hard at Mick Clarke except Steyn.

On Lara, this idea he didn't respond to needle is a bit of a myth, McG definitely had his ear on a regular basis resulting in some low scores and he was apparently quite successfully riled by being reminded that he got out to Zoe Goss in the Bradman game.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Derek Randall - the Aussies worked out pretty quickly that he was desperate for any sort of conversation to help him concentrate so they ignored him, and had to listen to him talking to himself - the likes of Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh must have found that incredibly frustrating

Debris

International 12th Man

On Lara, this idea he didn't respond to needle is a bit of a myth, McG definitely had his ear on a regular basis resulting in some low scores and he was apparently quite successfully riled by being reminded that he got out to Zoe Goss in the Bradman game.
That might explain why Clarke's average against SA is 67.59

jcas0167

International Debutant

Yeah, he apparently wasn't impressed when batting against Otago in 94/95 and Mark Richardson (well before he played test cricket) said "bowled Zoe!". Richardson scored a century in the next innings and apparently copped all manner of abuse from Lara.

I think Javed Miandad would be another. Apparently he would sledge the bowlers & thrived on any confrontation.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Derek Randall - the Aussies worked out pretty quickly that he was desperate for any sort of conversation to help him concentrate so they ignored him, and had to listen to him talking to himself - the likes of Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh must have found that incredibly frustrating
Great story.