• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should ireland be given test status

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just read an article, where jason gillespie, suggests ireland should be given test status and that giving ireland test status, would give test cricket a much needed shot in the arm. So what do you all think, would irelands inclusion as a full member, improve tests cricket in the long term

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With them, Zimbos and Ireland, I like Scaly's idea that they only ever play at home, until a higher level of competitiveness is proven. Definitely call them Tests though.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pros ireland test status

1.they have shown, they can produce good talented players with limited resources, eion morgan, ed joyce, boyd rankin, george dockrell, paul sterling, kevin o brein

2.they have a first class system, its supposedly in its infancy and crap but its a start

3.they have beaten full members zim bangladesh(multiple times) england west indies pakistan

4.jason gillespie who works in county cricket, where most decent irish players play reckons they've got some decent talent

5.they seem to be consistenly improving, i think they recently won the associate treble, the first associate to do so t20, odi, fc

6.recently signed a 10 year 2 million sponsorship deal and interest in the game in ireland is consistently improving, should improve more if they continue to do well

7.i think they have an academy

8.malahide had 10000 fans against england

9.they have been dominating associate cricket for years

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't see the harm in having more countries with Test status and really we ought to be generally be less prissy about it. If the ICC were a genuine independent body and not made up of who gets to call themselves proper countries they'd have done it by now.

In rugby tests there are matches like Tonga v Japan and USA v Canada all the time, everyone knows these are second tier matches but they're still tests. Don't see why cricket has to be different.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't see the harm in having more countries with Test status and really we ought to be generally be less prissy about it. If the ICC were a genuine independent body and not made up of who gets to call themselves proper countries they'd have done it by now.

In rugby tests there are matches like Tonga v Japan and USA v Canada all the time, everyone knows these are second tier matches but they're still tests. Don't see why cricket has to be different.
I seriously reckon it's because of the weight people give to cricket stats.

Niall

International Coach
Ireland struggle to get t20 and ODI games against the test sides, how on earth can they persuade them to play them in the longest format which draws the least moolah and spectators? Also while counties may be cool with losing players for one off ODI'S, they won't be when players vanish for test matches, so then you will have the scenario where players will have to choose between tests and country contracts. It is a nice idea, but not practical sadly.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think they're ready, but I'd like to see them spend a summer in the first division of the County Championship, and the Scots in the second come to that

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If the ICC are serious about spreading cricket's gospel it's an inevitable move eventually, so why not now?

When teams are touring England there's no distance involved in flying over to Dublin (or Belfast) at all & a couple of one off home tests a year is a good starting point before they become part of the FTP.

Plus it'd stop us swiping their best players.

Only fly in the ointment is that Irish players would be classed as overseas for CC purposes, so they'd be less attractive options to counties than currently.

TNT

Banned
Ireland cant afford to play test matches. How many test match standard grounds are there in Ireland.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If the ICC are serious about spreading cricket's gospel it's an inevitable move eventually, so why not now?

When teams are touring England there's no distance involved in flying over to Dublin (or Belfast) at all & a couple of one off home tests a year is a good starting point before they become part of the FTP.

Plus it'd stop us swiping their best players.

Only fly in the ointment is that Irish players would be classed as overseas for CC purposes, so they'd be less attractive options to counties than currently.
I don't think they would you know, EU and all. I could be wrong, but.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ireland cant afford to play test matches. How many test match standard grounds are there in Ireland.
They could use drop in pitches at Landsdown Road or Croke Park, tbf.

I don't think they would you know, EU and all. I could be wrong, but.
Pretty sure when Aussies with UK passports are selected to represent Australia they have to give up their non-overseas status (happened with Symonds and Jaques), so assume it'd be the same deal for EU nationals of another test nation.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They could use drop in pitches at Landsdown Road or Croke Park, tbf.

Pretty sure when Aussies with UK passports are selected to represent Australia they have to give up their non-overseas status (happened with Symonds and Jaques), so assume it'd be the same deal for EU nationals of another test nation.
Think you're right about Aussies (Harris the one that springs to mind) but I'm struggling to think how it's any different to the old four foreigners rule that was outlawed in footy as part of Bosman.

If you say an Irishman can't play for a county because of his nationality then isn't it a contravention of EU law?

Fred. Answer me post haste.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't there a "sport exemption" clause regarding EU free labour movement? Think Goughy may've posted it a few months back.

If not it'd be illegal for EU nationals (as Aussies with UK passports are) to be classified differently just because they represent another test nation.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Isn't there a "sport exemption" clause regarding EU free labour movement? Think Goughy may've posted it a few months back.

If not it'd be illegal for EU nationals (as Aussies with UK passports are) to be classified differently just because they represent another test nation.
Yeah I'm confused

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fairness that criteria hasn't been tested in court yet?

IIRC Phil Jaques was going to try it but he pulled out at the 11th hour.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Immediately IMO. Debut test could be a one-off against New Zealand on their tour to the UK next year.

Obviously not going to happen, but I'd be tempted to go over to Ireland to watch it.