• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I've never been able to say this in my 20 years of following cricket, but I think we would beat Aussie if we played a series against them at home or at a neutral venue.

I say this not just because of the difference in recent results vs. Pakistan in the UAE (although this is a major factor). But it seems to me that we have a slight edge on the Aussies right now.

Spark

Global Moderator
They're certainly better in the subcontinent.
And only in the subcontinent.

Seriously, one series in the UAE does not make you worldbeaters or, conversely, terrible. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that, assuming we have our first choice attack and Clarke is actually fit, we wouldn't win everywhere where there is even the slightest assistance for seam bowling. It really comes down to Johnson (and I remember Cribb saying something like this) -- without him in his current form we'd be still favourites going into most of these series now that we have a sort-of-functional batting order. With him it becomes a little silly on pitches which aren't the Port Elizabeth deck.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And only in the subcontinent.

Seriously, one series in the UAE does not make you worldbeaters or, conversely, terrible. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that, assuming we have our first choice attack and Clarke is actually fit, we wouldn't win everywhere where there is even the slightest assistance for seam bowling. It really comes down to Johnson (and I remember Cribb saying something like this) -- without him in his current form we'd be still favourites going into most of these series now that we have a sort-of-functional batting order. With him it becomes a little silly on pitches which aren't the Port Elizabeth deck.
Yet after Australia beat South Africa in one series, lots of people started jumping up and down saying they're the best team in the world.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't have to be perfect to be the best, though. Just better than everyone else.
Yeah but what made Australia better than everyone else back then? Two great series on the trot in conditions they generally enjoy. Big deal tbh. Many teams can lay claim to something similar.

BeeGee

International Captain
In a word.... no.

But I don't think the gap is very wide compared to what it's been historically. Test cricket is very competitive at the moment. Any team in the top eight could beat any other team in the top eight without it being regarded as a huge upset.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the Test matches that James Marshall played for the Worst Test Cricketers write up, that NZ vs. Aus 2005 series was incredibly one-sided. It seemed that people at the time were suggesting that Australia shouldn't bother playing NZ (surprise, surprise) or that maybe Australia should lend us some of the players they didn't need.

I realise that 2005 Australian team was quite astonishingly good, but the NZ team was a shambles.

I think at least one thing we can say is that the gap is a hell of a lot closer than it was 10 years ago.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but what made Australia better than everyone else back then? Two great series on the trot in conditions they generally enjoy. Big deal tbh. Many teams can lay claim to something similar.
True, but just because we beat SA a lot in SA doesn't mean it's not a massive achievement given that basically no one else seems able to do it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, look our batsmen on balance are better at playing spin (no clue how that happened), which would probably give us an edge v Aus in Asia. But Australia with Johnson and Harris would pants us at most other venues you could name - which isn't really a slight on NZ cricket as Australia would do the same to pretty much everyone atm.

watson

Banned
About the only thing that can be said is that the next Trans-Tasman series should be a goodun'. Bring it on!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True, but just because we beat SA a lot in SA doesn't mean it's not a massive achievement given that basically no one else seems able to do it.
Given South Africa's mental block about playing Australia at home, it's to be expected really.

On a serious note, going to South Africa and winning without a batting lineup was pretty impressive.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, look our batsmen on balance are better at playing spin (no clue how that happened), which would probably give us an edge v Aus in Asia. But Australia with Johnson and Harris would pants us at most other venues you could name - which isn't really a slight on NZ cricket as Australia would do the same to pretty much everyone atm.
I'd say Clarke is comfortably ahead of anyone else on either side.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Given South Africa's mental block about playing Australia at home, it's to be expected really.

On a serious note, going to South Africa and winning without a batting lineup was pretty impressive.
Mate, you were supposed to shut up after you bet Morgie last home Ashes that Australia would never score 300 again and they got 600 the next game.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Come on guys, let's stop it with this chest beating confidence stuff. Go back to being underdogs like real New Zealanders.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'd say Clarke is comfortably ahead of anyone else on either side.
If he's fit, yeah, without doubt. But there must be a few question marks now over whether Clarke will ever be as good as he was. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes against India.