• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change your avatar to Phil Hughes to show CW's support

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On another forum we made a banner of support when one of our players was seriously injured in a match. Anyone going to the Test match in Brisbane who could do similar? Could pitch in if there were enough of us.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have felt fairly shocked since I found out the news. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and many more years of being able to poke fun at him.
It really goes to show how dangerous cricket can be. No one should have to through this. :(

watson

Banned
Oh ****, that's not good.

Hughes was taken by ambulance to St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney after the incident on day one of the match. At approximately 5.20pm, the hospital confirmed that Hughes was out of surgery and remained in a critical condition in the intensive care unit. ESPNcricinfo understands Hughes was in an induced coma after surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

At approximately 4.15pm hospital spokesman David Faktor had addressed the media and said Hughes was in surgery having arrived at the hospital on life support.

"He arrived in a critical condition and remains in a critical condition. He is undergoing surgery as we speak," Faktor said. "When he arrived he underwent a set of scans to establish the extent of his injuries and then a decision was made to perform surgery ... All I could confirm is that he did sustain a head injury and that he is in a critical condition at the moment.

"I understand he was ventilated at the scene and arrived at St Vincent's already ventilated and on life support and he underwent scans and then he went to surgery."

Australia Cricket News: Hughes in critical condition after being hit by bouncer | ESPN Cricinfo

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Induced coma >>>>>>>>>>>> the other coma, but. I mean, I obviously have no info about his condition and quite a few things can still go wrong independent of the injury but it's relatively common to put someone under in this way after a THI where someone loses consciousness.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Heard he's out of surgery and back in intensive care. Still critical condition, but at least the riskiest part's over.

Rang my old man (physician) and he said from what details he found out about the injury, it was most likely an extradural haematoma. For those who cbf to click, if this turns out to be what happened basically blood was pooling between his skull and the outer protective cover of the brain. The usual giveaway for this is a 'lucid period' - in which there's a delay between the impact and losing consciousness (as Hughes did when he suddenly fainted face-first on the pitch). The surgery would have involved drilling a hole in his skull - or something more delicate - to drain out the excess blood.

All this is speculative but it would explain a lot if it was accurate.

Very lucky he got emergency treatment as early as he did.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will do this tomorrow when I'm at my PC.

It does show you when we sit here and mock these blokes playing at FC level and say they're no good or such and such a bowler is crap, that it's easy to forget how quick these blokes are. If you haven't done so, go to a grade game where the grounds are small and there's no crowd, and watch the opening bowlers rip in from side on.

Illuminating.

watson

Banned
Heard he's out of surgery and back in intensive care. Still critical condition, but at least the riskiest part's over.

Rang my old man (physician) and he said from what details he found out about the injury, it was most likely an extradural haemotoma. For those who cbf to click, if this turns out to be the diagnosis basically blood was pooling between his skull and the outer protective cover of the brain. The usual giveaway for this is a 'lucid period' - in which there's a delay between the impact and losing consciousness (as Hughes did when he suddenly fainted face-first on the pitch).

Very lucky he got emergency treatment as early as he did.
In that case, he probably had a Craniotomy to relieve the pressure ?? That will be a minimum 3 month recovery.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, they would have had to remove a small piece of skull to drain out the fluid. He won't be in the nets for a long time.
Don't want to jump at shadows or assume the worst but it is assumed that Schumacher had this procedure after his skiing accident

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Don't want to jump at shadows or assume the worst but it is assumed that Schumacher had this procedure after his skiing accident
No two traumatic brain injuries are the same, though. We don't have an out-and-out diagnosis for Hughes yet but it shouldn't be quite as bad as smashing your whole head on a large rock while skiing downhill at speed.

Julian87

State Captain
Wishing him all the best. I can't even begin to imagine how hard today has been for his family, especially those at the ground. Makes me sick in the stomach.