• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taylor or Williamson?

BCs Best Bat

• Taylor

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Williamson

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor fairly easily. In 2-3 years it'll be Williamson but despite Taylor being out of form at the moment I'd back Taylor to be winning us games over Kane.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Athlai's analysis that Taylor wins more games for NZ, but IMO that's why Williamson is their best bat -- his consistency sets games up to be won by the likes of Taylor and McCullum, and combines well with the likes of Watling to dig NZ out of holes.

That and I'm a massive KW fan, so I'm hardly going to vote against him.

Mike5181

International Captain
Rosco's still the man but it's getting closer. Can't believe he made his first appearance for us nearly nine years ago. Time flies, huh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Taylor. 2014 has a rough year for him with not being 100% body wise but he is still 30. It will take Williamson couple of years to take the mantle of the top bat.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Good question. It is hard to argue against Taylor especially when you look at the numbers, but like Dan I'm a huge KW fan. This is obviously my opinion, but I think the underrated asset of Kane is the way he goes about constructing an innings and the price he puts on his wicket, which is a trait we havent seen in an NZ batsman, well tbh in terms of grittiness and dogged determination, Mark Richardson. To put in another way, I can't see anyone coming in at 3 for NZ with the stability, reliability and quite frankly discipline other than KW, whereas you could argue there a couple number 4 candidates.

So basically I'm not helping the argument one bit, on the one hand Taylor has the record thats hard to argue against, but NZ's batting would be worse without Kane, morseo that Taylor.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor. More guts more character. I have never seen a player like him. The Hesson-gate test in SL performance is straight out of boys' own.

So much heart.

KW may over take him and on current form is probably a better player. But overall Taylor.

Flem's only criticism he has ever made of Taylor is that he is a poor down hill skier.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Can we please stop calling them the Blackcaps. In a matter of months before they will the ANZ blucaps.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The reason why I think this is so interesting is that Taylor averages 6 runs more than Williamson but Williamson has the lowest odds to topscore in NZ's innings at the TAB.

I think Williamson is in the middle of a Southee-like sudden flourishing of talent and will outperform Taylor over the next two or three years (Taylor still to be excellent though).

Athlai

Not Terrible
The reason why I think this is so interesting is that Taylor averages 6 runs more than Williamson but Williamson has the lowest odds to topscore in NZ's innings at the TAB.

I think Williamson is in the middle of a Southee-like sudden flourishing of talent and will outperform Taylor over the next two or three years (Taylor still to be excellent though).
Williamson plays spin better and is in better form. Right now on this tour he is more likely to top score.

That doesn't make him outright "better"

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Williamson plays spin better and is in better form. Right now on this tour he is more likely to top score.

That doesn't make him outright "better"
I agree that Taylor might be rated higher at home or on other tracks to the UAE. I'm not sure that Williamson is in good form; rather, I think he has made an increase in class recently and this is what we can now expect from him.

Stace

First Class Debutant
steve smith
Smith
Tests 22 42 4 1535 138* 40.39
ODIs 42 31 4 677 101 25.07
T20Is 21 16 4 168 34 14.00

Root
Tests 22 40 6 1732 200* 50.94
ODIs 36 34 3 1131 113 36.48
T20Is 9 7 2 183 90* 36.60

Root>>>>>>>>>>Smith (10 arrows for the 10 point and more in the averages in tests, ODI and T20is (20 difference in T20s (S/R too))

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Does Tom Latham have a '****YeahTomLatham' tumblr? Does Ross Taylor have '****YeahRossTaylor'?

No, but Kane does. Proof from NZ's premier cricketing pundit if ever I've seen it.