• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in New Zealand

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pleased to see Gutpill's worked on his ability to rotate the strike early on in the off season. :sleep:

Seems McHesson and Co have allowed him that license. No chance of winning a WC with your opener consistently striking at under 20% with the off chance that he'll convert a decent score once every 5 innings. This can't continue.
Will be interesting to see if he can show anything else this summer instead of what we've had for the last two years.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be interesting to see if he can show anything else this summer instead of what we've had for the last two years.
It's the apparent 'acceptance' of it that bothers me more than anything else. No other ODI opener in the world would get away with it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's the apparent 'acceptance' of it that bothers me more than anything else. No other ODI opener in the world would get away with it.
I suspect roughly have the ODI sides in the world would have let a player with Guptill's record "get away with it" to this point. Obviously no one outside of the top 6-7 would let it continue indefinitely though. But his S/R in 2013 was 90+

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suspect roughly have the ODI sides in the world would have let a player with Guptill's record "get away with it" to this point. Obviously no one outside of the top 6-7 would let it continue indefinitely though. But his S/R in 2013 was 90+
It's his 2014 SR of 69 (in 9 ODI's) that bothers me more.

BeeGee

International Captain
Short game, this.

The bowlers won't even have a chance to show their skills

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's being completely accepted. Hesson has a lot of top order batsmen in the squad. Brownlie and Neesham have been asked to open, Latham can do the job too.

They're accepting his weakness but want to see if that can be balanced by his strengths. On the current evidence the answer is no, but I think Hesson wants a comprehensive answer before he dumps him.