• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Domestic Off Season 2014-2015***

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig Kieswetter to miss whole of 2015 season due to problems with his vision after the blow last season.

Hope he can return in the future but if he is struggling with his eyes you never know.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd imagine Michael Bates may get picked up by Somerset as he was released by Hampshire at the end of the season. Depends if they rate Barrow or Regan. Won't help their batting issues though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig Kieswetter to miss whole of 2015 season due to problems with his vision after the blow last season.

Hope he can return in the future but if he is struggling with his eyes you never know.
Good luck to him, that's the important thing, but Somerset are screwed royally here.

Can we get in Foakes?

theegyptian

So Compton moves to Middlesex. You can still get Middlesex at 16-1 at a few bookies for the championship which isn't bad imo. It's probably <50% that Robson makes the England squad to WI and thus misses the first month or so of the season (+ more cricket into the season with England if in test team). Voges is scoring runs in Aus and suddenly the batting looks reasonably strong especially with Morgan not in England test teams.

Main concern probably is Murtagh and how he deals with a full county season having played the WC this winter.

Yorkshire could really be affected early season. England are gonna hoover up quite a few of their players for the West Indies test tour which ends early May. Given the tendency of the Windian wickets to take spin England will likely take 3 spinners and one could easily be Rashid. Plus Gale is suspended at the start of the season.

Could be Lyth/Lees, Root, Ballance, Plunkett plus possibly Rashid and/or Bairstow (as reserve keeper) all going away to WI and missing the first month.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whatever happened to joe denly, i remember him playing a couple of odi's for england and i used to love batting with him when i had ea cricket 07

theegyptian

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Best performing seamer, possibly two best, will get to go to the Windies, which is probably still up for grabs as well.

theegyptian

Best performing seamer, possibly two best, will get to go to the Windies, which is probably still up for grabs as well.
I figured every seamer who played last summer in tests + Finn - whoever gets injured in the World cup would be the likeliest combination of seamers.

Niall

International Coach
So Compton moves to Middlesex. You can still get Middlesex at 16-1 at a few bookies for the championship which isn't bad imo. It's probably <50% that Robson makes the England squad to WI and thus misses the first month or so of the season (+ more cricket into the season with England if in test team). Voges is scoring runs in Aus and suddenly the batting looks reasonably strong especially with Morgan not in England test teams.

Main concern probably is Murtagh and how he deals with a full county season having played the WC this winter.

Yorkshire could really be affected early season. England are gonna hoover up quite a few of their players for the West Indies test tour which ends early May. Given the tendency of the Windian wickets to take spin England will likely take 3 spinners and one could easily be Rashid. Plus Gale is suspended at the start of the season.

Could be Lyth/Lees, Root, Ballance, Plunkett plus possibly Rashid and/or Bairstow (as reserve keeper) all going away to WI and missing the first month.

I'd be astounded if Morgan sacked of the IPL again though and with a t20 world cup in India in 2016, its probably better for England if he focuses on that format rather than 4 day cricket when he has very little chance of playing test cricket again.

Looking at how bad the West Indies are at the moment, and with the test tour at the same time as the IPL, it could be a very easy series for England. We won't see Gayle and Dwayne for sure, possible that Darren Bravo, Ramdin, Roach. Taylor and Holder could be picked up as well.

Woodster

International Captain
Couple of fairly recent developments that I missed during the festive period - John Bracewell calling time on his coaching position at Gloucester. It's been hard going there for a while and with the Gidman bro's moving on perhaps Bracewell thought he'd taken them as far as he could. Jacques Rudolph takes over as skipper at Glamorgan and Notts announce Vern Philander and Ben Hilfenhaus to share the overseas role at Trent Bridge next season.

theegyptian

England have a fun and gruelling couple of years coming up.

They look set for 100+ days of cricket in 2015 and 2016.

2016 is particularly tough with 17 tests and 111+ days scheduled in all. No team has played as many tests or days in recent time. Although India did manage 18 tests back in 1979 and 1983.

This year England finish their test tour of WI on May 5th and face Ireland (in Ireland) in an ODI on the 8th May before the NZ test series starts on 21 May which leads into Ashes series and constant cricket.

I doubt any of the test squad go to Ireland for the ODI. In fact for 2015 and 2016 I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of resting off the test players and they really give big opportunities to the likes of Roy, Vince, Hales, Billings, Bairstow, Taylor and Lees in ODI cricket. Or they should.

There is enough talent in Hales, Ali, Root, Taylor, Ballance, Roy, Vince, Lees, Billings, Stokes, Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler to form a good batting order WC side for 2019. They might not win many matches for two years or so but that doesn't really matter.

Bell and Bopara should be discarded unless they have very good World Cups. Morgan should be kept unless he is awful in the WC( which he is getting close to). He has won England a lot of games and they will need his experience

Bowler is a different issue. Lack of options. The likes of Dunn, Wood and COverton have barely played a domestic lo game so even though they are talented playing them would be a pretty big mistake. Topley, Willey, and TRJ are better options if they aren't injured.

The most important thing in the next year or two is that the likes of Buttler, Root, Ballance, Ali and Stokes are given regular rests. Bowlers are always given a decent rest but the likes of Root, Ali and Buttler need to be carefully managed to make sure they aren't run into the ground as they play all formats. If they have to miss an ODI series or two that's fine. Play Buttler as a batsmen in ODI or T20. Do whatever. Just don't burn out our brightest prospects. It might upset some people but it is required.

Last edited:

theegyptian

I missed it at the time but England youth player Tom Moores (son of Peter) moved from Leicestershire to Notts. England junior cricketer Tom Moores joins Nottinghamshire from Leicestershire - Melton Times

It's bad news for Leicestershire if their playerrs are moving before they even hit the first team. They lost Cobb, Buck, Thakor and Greg Smith to other counties at the end of last year all of whom came through the academy and played for England u19s in the last 6 years or so. That's simply incredible.

Somehow the ECB has to make sure the second division doesn't become a really poor standard and that teams at the bottom of it aren't stuck in a black hole unable to escape.

Woodster

International Captain
In response to The Egyptian, this year alone is going to be a massive test for this England side with some daunting challenges ahead. It is going to be crucial how Peter Moores and the selectors manage the workload to keep the nucleus of the side hungry, fit and firing for the really tough series' we have, especially in the summer and towards the end of the year.

For the one-day side, a tri-series with India and Australia sets things up nicely for the World Cup, then it's going to be pretty much straight into a Test series, for those players selected in both formats, in the Caribbean, obviously the amount of rest between depends on how far we go in the WC. Back home after the WI for what will be a tough two-Test series with New Zealand, the likes of Boult and Southee should relish early season English conditions.

The Ashes is obviously the real eye-catcher in the height of summer but the tougher series may lie in the two overseas tours towards the end of the year to the UAE to try and improve on our performance there against Pakistan, then on to South Africa in December! It's quite a challenge and generally one that I would really look forward to, however, I do fear for us in some of those contests.

There is, as Egyptian said earlier, going to be some real opportunities for some of the younger fringe players, you'd expect in the ODI's perhaps more so than in the Tests, but there will inevitably be injuries picked up due to the unforgiving schedule. I think for us to come out of this next 12 months with some real positive performances we are going to need Cook's form to improve massively, Ian Bell to once again prove to any doubters that he is one of the finest batsmen in world cricket and a top three world ranking is a realistic target for him personally. The right balance of rest and overs under his belt could be key to Jimmy's effectiveness, and we will need him firing and leading the bowling unit like he has become so accustomed to, and I'm hoping Steve Finn really rattles a few of the top orders with some pace and aggression.

On a final note, Jos Buttler will be under a very heavy workload as the keeper/batsman in all the formats, he is exceptionally talented and could be a huge player for England in the years ahead, but again he must be handled correctly. Keeping itself puts a huge strain on the body yet it is his batting that could really elevate him into something special. There will of course be T20 competitions that players such as Buttler presumably will want to be involved in also, so relations between the players and the ECB are another issue that needs to be resolved smoother than how a number of such incidents have been handled in recent times.

theegyptian

Slightly outlandish prediction coming up. I reckon Matt Prior will play test cricket again this year if he returns to full fitness (and that's a big if at this point due to the seriousness of his injury).

I just think that Buttler is pretty average keeper and his batting may well be found out at test level.

Woodster

International Captain
Slightly outlandish prediction coming up. I reckon Matt Prior will play test cricket again this year if he returns to full fitness (and that's a big if at this point due to the seriousness of his injury).

I just think that Buttler is pretty average keeper and his batting may well be found out at test level.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Buttler struggle at stages throughout this year, I personally think they went to him too early in terms of Test cricket and I agree that his keeping may well come under some serious scrutiny. He does however seem to have an excellent work ethic and that any struggles he has will not deter him but make him work harder at his game to achieve the required improvement.

I am trying to think of alternatives they may look at but Prior does seem the obvious candidate. He has proven himself at the highest level and would slip straight back in and is unlikely to let anyone down. I was a fan of recalling James Foster on a temporary basis around 12 months ago to allow Buttler the full season in CC with Lancs, but I'm not sure I'd go there now another year on.

I'm less concerned about Buttler with the bat, he is far from the finished article but down at number seven he will be allowed a degree of freedom to play. Would have preferred him to play more than the 10 CC games he managed with Lancs last season to continue learning about batting and building a long innings.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Buttler can't play every day of cricket for England in all formats so whether it is Prior, Bairstow or a newbie somebody has to take the gloves at some stage to make sure Buttler doesn't burn out.

The bowlers have to be managed too, I presume Anderson will retire from ODI's after the WC so will play the tests and get his rest in between but Broad will need looking after especially as he is injury prone.

If they don't manage the team properly this next 20 months or so could break many of the players. Probably a bonus that Cook is now out of the ODI side as he gets a break and hopefully he can return to being a good bat again instead of struggling like he has for ages. Same with Bell, can't see him playing much ODI stuff in future.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Lets face it, it's very possible this will be a grim year for England. Test side in SA at the end of the year could be very different to the one in the West Indies in a few months.