• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Andy McKay has retired

Former NZ bowler Andy McKay retires without regrets | Stuff.co.nz

He was another example of if you want to play international cricket get out of Auckland as fast as you can.

Also there has been a bit of a turn over at auckland cricket alot of staff has left to go work for other sporting organisations like NZ Football etc. And it would appear that Horne has been forced out.

O'Donnell is the new coach.

Cricket: Auckland's going back to the future with O'Donnell - Sport - NZ Herald News

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the nicest guys on the circuit, Macca is/was. Turned a decent career in Auckland into NZ representation in all three forms, dismissed Sachin in a Test in India, played a World Cup semi-final dismissed Sanga and went for under 4s, and from memory might've won 4-5 domestic titles at Auckland and Wellington. And has the next chapter of his life well and truly sorted. Champion.

Interesting that O'Donnell is back in at Auckland, seeing he never left (guess he might've coveted the NZ job). Hornet chose not to run again, apparently.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
McKay always struck me as one of the "bit-o-everything" bowlers. Bit of pace, bit of movement, bit of bounce, but not really enough of any one thing to consistently threaten as an international bowler.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
McKay always struck me as one of the "bit-o-everything" bowlers. Bit of pace, bit of movement, bit of bounce, but not really enough of any one thing to consistently threaten as an international bowler.
A couple of ill timed injuries hurt him too by taking him out of contention for a position. Now that we have Milne bowling 150 (when fit) and Boult and Henry able to hit 143-144 on a very good day, it seems a bit funny that McKay was picked on the basis that he could clock 140kms and was our fastest in the country at one point.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nathan King gets the Otago gig. Shades of Mike Hesson - only 33 when appointed, been coaching since his late teens and has served an apprenticeship as an assistant at Otago level.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
All time Northern Districts XI (inspired by the county ATG thread)

John Wright
Yovich
Williamson
Parker
Howarth
Styris
Vettori
Watling
Doull
Southee
Boult

Flem274*

123/5
Canterbury's player roster in the mid 2000s would hurt that ND team tbh. It's really good, but most ATG domestic NZ teams could deal out hidings to some of our test teams...

Some elevens based on state of origin/who they seem to identify with/who they started with

I'll probably screw a few up but I cbf double checking because this post has a ten minute time limit

Auckland

Lou Vincent | Bert Sutcliffe | John F. Reid | Martin Crowe (c) | Geoff Howarth | Mark Burgess | Giff Vivian (4) | Adam Parore (wk) | | Jack Cowie (1) | Chris Drum (2) | Danny Morrison (3)

Nicely rounded team in quality. Powerful top order, bats deep (though drops abruptly in the tail) and has a superstar strike bowler.

Canterbury

Graham Dowling | Tom Latham | Stephen Fleming (c) | Nathan Astle (6) | Craig McMillan | Chris Cairns (5) | Richard Hadlee (1) | Kruger van Wyk (wk) | Bruce Taylor (3) | Shane Bond (2) | Chris Martin (4)

So many unlucky to miss out. H4x depth in everything. Not the best batting tbh though still very good and the bowling is ridiculous.

Central Districts

Bevan Congdon (5) (c) | Jamie How | Mathew Sinclair | Ross Taylor | Jesse Ryder (6) | Mark Greatbatch | Jacob Oram (4) | Ian Smith (wk) | Lance Cairns (3) | Doug Bracewell (2) | Gary Bartlett (1)

Really wanted The Mug but I'm giving priority to test cricket (Spearman would get in ahead of How if just FC counted). Powerful middle order batting but the bowling lacks a superstar.

Northern Districts

John Wright | Bryan Young | Jon Parker | Kane Williamson (6) | Scott Styris (5) | Shane Thomson (7) | BJ Watling (wk) | Daniel Vettori (c) (4) | Dion Nash (3) | Tim Southee (1) | Trent Boult (2)

Probably the most improved team in recent seasons thanks to the emergence of four new players in that side.

Otago

Glenn Turner | Mark Richardson | Roger Blunt (6) | Brendon McCullum (c) | Ken Rutherford | Jimmy Neesham (5) | Warren Lees (wk) | Mark Craig (4) | John Bracewell (3) | Frank Cameron (1) | Neil Wagner (2)

Ran out of ideas so went with two spinners. I'm sure I'm missing someone obvious. Dat opening combination though.

Wellington

Bruce Edgar | Stewie Dempster | Andrew Jones | Martin Donnelly | John R. Reid (5) | Jeremy Coney (c) (6) | Tom Lowry (wk) | Bob Blair (4) | Iain O'Brien (3) | Richard Collinge (1) | Ewen Chatfield (2)

That team will never get tired in the field. With all those right arm workhorse seamers it can bowl and bowl and bowl and bowl.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
lol Flem Sutcliffe scored like 1000 runs for Auckland. He was born there sure, but he sits at the top for Otago.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
lol Flem Sutcliffe scored like 1000 runs for Auckland. He was born there sure, but he sits at the top for Otago.
Agreed.

It is confusing though because wiki lists him for nd as well.

Also surely Howarth was foremost an nd man? or am I imagining things.

NZTailender

Agreed.

It is confusing though because wiki lists him for nd as well.

Also surely Howarth was foremost an nd man? or am I imagining things.
Sutcliffe played for quite a few teams over his time, but none moreso than Otago IIRC.

To be fair to flem he did say he compiled his post rather quickly.

NZTailender

1. B Sutcliffe
2. G Turner
3. M Richardson
4. C Cumming
5. K Rutherford
6. B Blair
7. W Lees+
8. N Wagner
9. F Cameron
10. A Downes
11. S Boock

Had forgotten how little Baz has actually played for Otago.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Baz is an otago man come on

I also gave a lot more weight to test cricket otherwise mason, mcskimming etc would be much closer

Last edited: