• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wellington's lack of future planning coming back to seriously bite them. They're going to be so poor when Franklin, Papps, Patel, Gillespie and Elliott retire - all likely to be in a short space of time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Wellington's lack of future planning coming back to seriously bite them. They're going to be so poor when Franklin, Papps, Patel, Gillespie and Elliott retire - all likely to be in a short space of time.
They have massive future planning. They have a future firebirds program that starts identifying 12 year olds and gives them preferential training all the way up and they have various age group teams. The only crap thing they have done over the years is the plethora of Cameron Merchant style Australian imports. How in ****s name do you justify that. And how does it help invest in the development of our younger players. I would rather lose with 11 Matt Taylors playing then earn some draw with 4 imports.

I am not saying you have previously defended the selection of Cameron et al - you just happen to be in the firing line for raising the topic. Messengers and not getting shot etc.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They have massive future planning. They have a future firebirds program that starts identifying 12 year olds and gives them preferential training all the way up and they have various age group teams. The only crap thing they have done over the years is the plethora of Cameron Merchant style Australian imports. How in ****s name do you justify that. And how does it help invest in the development of our younger players. I would rather lose with 11 Matt Taylors playing then earn some draw with 4 imports.

I am not saying you have previously defended the selection of Cameron et al - you just happen to be in the firing line for raising the topic. Messengers and not getting shot etc.
sounds like "he is the chosen one" future planning strategy, which doesn't tend to work. What you need is to raise the overall standard of top level club cricket so players have somewhere to develop from, not just pick a few and give them throwdowns.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
sounds like "he is the chosen one" future planning strategy, which doesn't tend to work. What you need is to raise the overall standard of top level club cricket so players have somewhere to develop from, not just pick a few and give them throwdowns.
Pearce cup in Wellington is mint cricket. I would rate that competition against most cities in the world save Sydney. I watched it from the sidelines and guys are all bowling 135 easy some of them looked quicker. Maybe that doesn't say much in favour of it because Hamilton has long been a strong hold of Kiwi cricket as well so if you went down to Galloway park on a weekend you could probably see good cricket there too.

We have good clubs and a supportive Wellington Cricket association. All of the clubs cooperate for the better running of the comp.

Guys are seriously good at Pearce level and should be a breeding ground for more players. The only caveat I give to that is that the first round of the Pearce Cup involves a lot of teams iirc.

BTW - sorry for being OTT Heef just trying to stir things up in the thread.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@albi - also it is not hard to make the future firebirds program. If you are a decent talent they will pick you. They cast a wide net.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Pearce cup in Wellington is mint cricket. I would rate that competition against most cities in the world save Sydney. I watched it from the sidelines and guys are all bowling 135 easy some of them looked quicker. Maybe that doesn't say much in favour of it because Hamilton has long been a strong hold of Kiwi cricket as well so if you went down to Galloway park on a weekend you could probably see good cricket there too.

We have good clubs and a supportive Wellington Cricket association. All of the clubs cooperate for the better running of the comp.

Guys are seriously good at Pearce level and should be a breeding ground for more players. The only caveat I give to that is that the first round of the Pearce Cup involves a lot of teams iirc.

BTW - sorry for being OTT Heef just trying to stir things up in the thread.
I'm sure the wellington club scene is still well above my abilities, but if it's not producing players capable at FC level then evidently it's lagging slightly behind. Are locals being unfairly ignored or are they just not good enough? Forgive me if I don't entirely believe your estimates of bowling speeds, especially given the massive variance in club level pitches.

PS: The standard at the Galla when my team plays there is pretty damn low. 91 off 42 overs in a One-Day game. Usually a couple of decent Prems fixtures though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Wellington are a shambles when it comes to organising club cricket.

And you completely misunderstand what I meant by future planning. It's only this year that they've looked to ease some youngsters into the Wellington setup (Walsh, Taylor). When those 5 players I named retire, there's no one with reasonable top level experience who can step right in. The imports that Wellington have used have been detrimental to the development of young players - Kuggeleijn for example. How good of us to take him for a year to help ND's player development. Then Stuart Rhodes, Cameron Merchant, Dane Hutchinson. They all help strengthen club cricket, but I can't feel it's right that they seem to get fast tracked into the team based on very little evidence. I see Aleks Day has already made his way into the Wellington A team.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure the wellington club scene is still well above my abilities, but if it's not producing players capable at FC level then evidently it's lagging slightly behind. Are locals being unfairly ignored or are they just not good enough? Forgive me if I don't entirely believe your estimates of bowling speeds, especially given the massive variance in club level pitches.

PS: The standard at the Galla when my team plays there is pretty damn low. 91 off 42 overs in a One-Day game. Usually a couple of decent Prems fixtures though.
Ricky Joseph and people of that ilk are pretty fast and speed wise look visually as quick as Chris Martin live. Most teams have two guys of that speed but their first change guy will be a line and length guy and much slower.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket Wellington are a shambles when it comes to organising club cricket.

And you completely misunderstand what I meant by future planning. It's only this year that they've looked to ease some youngsters into the Wellington setup (Walsh, Taylor). When those 5 players I named retire, there's no one with reasonable top level experience who can step right in. The imports that Wellington have used have been detrimental to the development of young players - Kuggeleijn for example. How good of us to take him for a year to help ND's player development. Then Stuart Rhodes, Cameron Merchant, Dane Hutchinson. They all help strengthen club cricket, but I can't feel it's right that they seem to get fast tracked into the team based on very little evidence. I see Aleks Day has already made his way into the Wellington A team.
I am 100% with you and I have seen you rage against the imports before so I was trying to set you up for another rant. These australian imports are cast off players. I could understand it if it was Brad Hodge wanting to play over here for some reason but it isn't. Massive Massive grass is greener bias towards Australians.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Ricky Joseph and people of that ilk are pretty fast and speed wise look visually as quick as Chris Martin live. Most teams have two guys of that speed but their first change guy will be a line and length guy and much slower.
Really? In the hamilton scene most opening bowlers who aren't already ND reps are 125 tops. That's still ****ing quick, but it's easy to go overboard with the estimates.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't say I wasn't surprised at how yesterday panned out. Southee and Boult were always going to be in the wickets. Managed to head down and watch most of the day, the ND under 15's team would've given us a bigger challenge. Wellington were pathetic, especially with the ball. Flynn won't ever score an easier 100 than that.
Northern Districts full strength XI looks really OP. Up there with Yorkshire and NSW as the best domestic sides.

Howsie

International Captain
tbf it's worked fairly well for ND over the past five or so years.

On Wellington, this is Jamie Siddons fourth year with them iirc. Have Wellington produced a single decent cricketer during that period? Michael Pollard would probably be the best and even then he's nothing special. In the meantime we've seen guys with actual talent like Harry Boam, Josh Brodie and Joe Austin-Smellie chuck the game in and walk away. Surely some of that has to fall back on the big mouth clown?

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah - we've had successive Aussie coaches, both with respectable records - Stuart and Siddons and they've barely shown any interest in local lads as far as I can tell. Whether that's because the quality just isn't there or whether it's because they've over-egged the value of out-of-province imports, I don't know, but something has to change.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Not sure you can really attribute much of this poor showing to future planning. In the first innings Walsh & McEwen were the 3rd and 2nd highest scorers. It looks like McEwen bowled reasonably well too. In the second innings Papps, Pollard, Murdoch & Woodcock scored a combined total of 5 runs. It also looks like Blundell batted well down the order (injured?).

Generally agree regarding the imports.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, McEwan is an import and maybe Walsh (or Taylor) could have performed better in this game if they'd been given more opportunities. Or perhaps Wellington would have played better if they'd been able to keep Brodie and Boam interested in the game.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Believe there was a lot of discontent in Welly club circles over how long Murdoch got overlooked by the previous Aussie coach Stuart.

Welly club cricket not had a lot of respect from the firebirds last few coaches.
Although Siddons given much more opportunities to the younger locals than the previous guy. Pollard, Blundell, Walsh, Taylor, Tugaga etc

Blundell caught Kippax's eye last season? As a surprisingly technically good looking bat v both spin and swing? Remember seeing a video compilation. Been following his progress since then.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Believe there was a lot of discontent in Welly club circles over how long Murdoch got overlooked by the previous Aussie coach Stuart.

Welly club cricket not had a lot of respect from the firebirds last few coaches.
Although Siddons given much more opportunities to the younger locals than the previous guy. Pollard, Blundell, Walsh, Taylor, Tugaga etc

Blundell caught Kippax's eye last season? As a surprisingly technically good looking bat v both spin and swing? Remember seeing a video compilation. Been following his progress since then.
Yes, I think Weerasundra was another up & coming Wellington player the Kippax provided a video compilation of. Was at the under 19 WC last year as an opener. Seems to be behind BJ Barnett though in terms of the opening slot alongside Papps.

Just speaking of imports to Wellington, Arana Noema-Barnett is another. He appears to have been drawn by Siddon's coaching.

"I've been working with the coaches quite a lot over the winter," Noema-Barnett said.

"Since late May I started going down there to get Jamie to coach, an international coach. The opportunity to get world-class coaching is the main thing."

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Troy Johnson and Rachin Ravindra went well at the Gillette Cup; top 5 runscorers. Ravindra born November 1999, so he'd be targeting two U19 WCs.