• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still stand by this tbh. But funnily enough Smith has never let that #1 slot get away from him in tests. Maybe it will happen now.
A bit amused by this though:
Smith can only perform against the attacks and on the pitches he is playing and he has done that better than anybody. He is like a superior model of Sehwag and God knows how high I rate Sehwag inspite of the holes in his resume. Smith is easily the best batsman currently going based on output so far. I do not give a damn as to what Root and KW did in more "difficult" conditions
Seeming to imply that Smith's superiority is helped by friendlier batting conditions than others, when a simple statsguru search would show that he averages the same away from home as he does at home anyway. Comparison to Sehwag is a head scratcher.

As far as "what Root and KW did in more difficult conditions", well Smith averages 60 in England and 131 in NZ, much better than Root or KW so that's not a thing either

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A bit amused by this though:

Seeming to imply that Smith's superiority is helped by friendlier batting conditions than others, when a simple statsguru search would show that he averages the same away from home as he does at home anyway. Comparison to Sehwag is a head scratcher.

You missing the context of any post or the facts around it is never amusing though. Just annoying.

Teja.

Global Moderator
a simple statsguru search would show that he averages the same away from home as he does at home anyway.
I don't care much for the substantive debate at hand but this statement is incorrect. It's correct that he is amazing away from home as well but he averages 57 outside Australia and 67 in Australia which is about a ten point gap.

Even if you remove 'neutral' venues like UAE, he still averages 7 more at home which is statistically a fairly decent difference over 77 tests.

TheJediBrah

I don't care much for the substantive debate at hand but this statement is incorrect. It's correct that he is amazing away from home as well but he averages 57 outside Australia and 67 in Australia which is about a ten point gap.

Even if you remove 'neutral' venues like UAE, he still averages 7 more at home which is statistically a fairly decent difference over 77 tests.
Well spotted, I didn't take into account neutral venues. Just looked at his "away" average (60.15) which was only 1 run less than his career average.

Doesn't change the point, but happy to stand corrected on a minor detail.

If you wanted to pick one or 2 of hese guys that has dominated at home and struggled away it's definitely not Smith (who has the highest away average of all of them), it's Williamson and Kohli. Both average 20 runs more at home than away.

Flem274*

123/5
If it happens, i feel like it will be for some one new not from the 3 in this question. Kohli has been missing out a lot, Williamson has a big asterisk in front his name at away performances which i doubt will get any better and Root remains to be the equivalent of Greg from mind hunter
the big asterisk of a 41 away average and 64 neutral (and 42 in australia, the series where the indian reddit fans first got this asterisk in their heads)

his record should be better in england and india but the hyperfocus on this and not say, kohli being pointless in nz despite hiding at #4 is a development.

williamson is a bit weird in that he's tonned up in all the countries he's been bad in bar SA (4 tests), suggesting he's exceedingly vulnerable early on away from home compared to the average great. maybe his first 25-30 odd tests being patently not test standard is weighing those smaller sample sizes down, but meh it will correct itself unless he's forced into early retirement.

realistically smith won't be overtaken by the fab 3 and certainly not by babar or marnus. babar azam will get dropped, moved around the order to shore up holes, get in fights with the PCB and go through all the usual chaos that prevents pakistani batsmen from scoring runs. plus he's too aggressive. labuschagne just isn't in that league either. he's an excellent batsman but more 45 - 55 average.

smiths just too good. i love how he will just shelve every remotely risky shot sometimes and grind bowlers down before just boofing them to hell when they surrender. kohli doesn't have the patience, williamson and root the self-confidence or ruthlessness.

Shady Slim

International Coach
all of the pro joe root crowd are so insecure that whenever he doesn't fail they have to bump all the threads to claim they were right lol

Burgey

Joe Root is the new AB. only good batsman in the side, captain, can roll his arm over for handy wickets.

@Burgey to confirm/have aneurism
Certainly they both have/ had dud sides. Root has been part of the dudness for reasonably parts of his career and steered the team into dudness from a position of being non-complete duds though. As opposed to TOTAB who was a shining light and led his team from dudness to respectability and bequeathed a golden generation to his successors.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fully agree. If we are lucky, we may see Kohli's Sachin up against Smith's Lara and Root's Ponting with KW's Dravid/ Sanga being the unsung hero. I mean the Chump's already got the one man batting line up thing going for him a few times, a la Lara. ☺
Still think this is how it will end up.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
no this is true

smith's probably quite better than the others listed and the other three are a tier down
If you interpret it that way there's definitely an argument to be made. Would argue kholi is in the same tier as some of these guys though, averaging 52 in test cricket even after his rough period, insane conversion rate, multiple dominant series at home and away from home. Root definitely a tier below, though if he keeps this purple patch up for another year or two and hits 10-11k runs at an average around 50 with a good performance in aus this upcoming ashes that could change, kanos a bit of an anomaly due to his questionable away record, but that may very well change after his performance in england during the WTC and a good series in india later this year.