• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is tremendous blow. I confess being sympathetic to spin bowlers who bring more variety and skill into the game, even if the actions looked dodgy. So I feel bad for Ajmal.
His high flying career got ruined. And being found a chucker is different from being found a fixer. It's not exactly cheating and disqualification is a matter of conventions. Won't keep arguing this point though, it's just my view that may not have many takers.
Hey for what it's worth I'm with you......but yeah, don't think too many agree.

I just can't get worked up over spinners bending their arm.........legal or illegal, I just don't give a **** about it.

And I just can't see how the game is better for having Ajmal on the sidelines?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Nah. He was cleared. Repeatedly.

There's absolutely no way for you to know that .
Like Ajmal was cleared repeatedly in the past?

Look until actual documents surface none of us can really say anything. For all we know, all his deliveries could be exceeding the limit by only 1-2 degrees, meaning he could be playing again in months.

If its a case of the testing has improved in the last few years and he's always been cheating, then the same has to be applied to Murali. Not that Murali did bowl illegally, but that its more probably than before. If its the other scenario and the testing has been accurate the whole time, then its a case of Ajmal bending his arm a bit more than he used to; that is just because he's been cheating recently, doesn't mean he's been a cheat for most of his career.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wonder if this means all of the times I picked up infraction points for calling Ajmal a chucker will be rescinded.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His high flying career got ruined. And being found a chucker is different from being found a fixer. It's not exactly cheating and disqualification is a matter of conventions. Won't keep arguing this point though, it's just my view that may not have many takers.
Well, sad that he was a chucker. Not sad he got caught. Glad they have got better methods this time around (It is a better system hopefully). I wish they do a lot more tests on a lot more players.
Sort of get what you guys are saying now. Imagine if Steyn got called up and was found to exceed the limit, what then? I'd be distraught tbh. As would almost everyone who loves watching cricket. In a sense, it is a big loss for cricket if Ajmal never bowled again. Even though I've always thought he was a blatant chucker, I do enjoy watching him take wickets.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hey for what it's worth I'm with you......but yeah, don't think too many agree.

I just can't get worked up over spinners bending their arm.........legal or illegal, I just don't give a **** about it.

And I just can't see how the game is better for having Ajmal on the sidelines?
I'd love to see more 95mph fast bowlers. Doesn't mean I'd be happy to change the throwing rules to allow it.

watson

Banned
"The International Cricket Council today confirmed that an independent analysis has found the bowling action of Pakistan's off-spinner Saeed Ajmal to be illegal and, as such, the player has been suspended from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect," the ICC said in a statement.

"The analysis revealed that all his deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the regulations."

Ajmal, who was reported after the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle last month, can only return to international cricket after he has modified his action and applied for a reassessment.

Spinner Ajmal's ban casts shadow on career
Was stunned that 'all his deliveries' were illegal as I thought that only his Doosra would be pinged. Since Ajmal will have to perform rehab on absolutely everything he bowls it wouldn't surprise me if he is forced into retirement prematurely as he's hardly a youngster at 36. I sincerely hope not.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Yeah also surprised it was also his regular offspin, bet there are a lot of nervous offspinners.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like Ajmal was cleared repeatedly in the past?

Look until actual documents surface none of us can really say anything. For all we know, all his deliveries could be exceeding the limit by only 1-2 degrees, meaning he could be playing again in months.

If its a case of the testing has improved in the last few years and he's always been cheating, then the same has to be applied to Murali. Not that Murali did bowl illegally, but that its more probably than before. If its the other scenario and the testing has been accurate the whole time, then its a case of Ajmal bending his arm a bit more than he used to; that is just because he's been cheating recently, doesn't mean he's been a cheat for most of his career.
Nope. Nothing in probability theory supports this statement.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Was stunned that 'all his deliveries' were illegal as I thought that only his Doosra would be pinged. Since Ajmal will have to perform rehab on absolutely everything he bowls it wouldn't surprise me if he is forced into retirement prematurely as he's hardly a youngster at 36. I sincerely hope not.
Isn't there some doubt that he is only 36 as well? I don't think he'll be back.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Point being, would be be cleared today with the better testing methods and technology?
the point is will all bowlers who has clean actions will be cleared with same methodology? My impression is no.

Riggins

International Captain
Do you think it's appropriate use of ICC money to test every single player who bowls in international cricket, even if they bowl very sparingly and have extremely clean-looking actions? Keep in mind that the testing process is expensive and we still have many boards struggling to pay their players a competitive wage (or have professional contracts at all in some cases) or set up HawkEye for UDRS in internationals.

I think the idea of testing everyone is fine in theory; I just think cricket has much bigger problems more worthy of ICC investment than proving beyond all doubt that, for example, Scottish second choice wicket keeper Marc Petrie isn't going to straighten his arm more than 15 degrees in the extremely unlikely event that he has a trundle in an international.

I think testing more bowlers who look dubious, as has been happening of late, is a good idea, but testing bowlers with actions that look fine just seems PC waste of money to me.
a marc petrie reference in a thread about the legality of ajmal's bowling action is as good as it gets.