• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would Moeen Ali bat in your world XI?

cnerd123

likes this
This is obviously not a serious thread but amazingly enough I don't think he's that far away. We really lack quality allrounders in world cricket at the moment to the point of the options being to play Shakib or run with Warner as the fifth bowler. If he can prove to be better than Shakib, he's basically got himself in the extended squad and may be in the side depending on balance/conditions. It's mad but it's true.
Duminy > Ali for now IMO. Ali needs some more experience.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Duminy > Ali for now IMO. Ali needs some more experience.
Oh yeah I absolutely agree; I was just making the point that he's strangely not really that far away from this thread turning vaguely serious.

I think the best option now would generally just be not having a fifth bowler, and failing that, Shakib, Duminy, Watson and maybe even Ashwin would be ahead of him for now. It's just that it's not exactly a massively hard spot to crack. If he does the job he's being selected for in England side well (even if not brilliantly) for a longer period then he'll be right in contention at least for a wider World Team squad.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
This is obviously not a serious thread but amazingly enough I don't think he's that far away. We really lack quality allrounders in world cricket at the moment to the point of the options being to play Shakib or run with Warner as the fifth bowler. If he can prove to be better than Shakib, he's basically got himself in the extended squad and may be in the side depending on balance/conditions. It's mad but it's true.

Alternatively, kill two birds with one stone and let Watson take over the troublesome second opener and fifth bowler positions. :ph34r:
Philander? Batting average over 35 last sixteen test matches. You got a decent new ball bowler as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Philander? Batting average over 35 last sixteen test matches. You got a decent new ball bowler as well.
I'd pick Philander regardless, but there's no way he should be batting above eight in a team of this quality to play against (presumably) a team of similar quality. That'd just be literally picking five bowlers, as opposed to having a fifth bowling option or a five man attack.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just play all of Broad, Johnson, Philander, Steyn and Ajmal for a ridiculously OP tail and bowling order IMO.

Works better if you have ABdV at No. 6 instead of BJ ****ing Watling though.

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Regular
1. Warner
2. Williamson
3. Ballance
4. Sangakkara
5. de Villiers
6. Moeen
7. Buttler
8. Philander
9. Steyn
10. Anderson
11. Ajmal

91Jmay

International Coach
Smith > Root, Smith one of the better players of spin so will wait until Root tours subcontinent. From what I've seen so far Root is a terrible player of spin, footwork is appalling.
Root is a very good player of spin, who made his debut in India on a bunsen where he scored 73 and 20*. He can get bogged down a bit at times, but has fixed that problem to a degree over the summer and played Herath very well including obviously the 200*. Roots problem remains as a starter against the new ball for my money.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Root is a very good player of spin, who made his debut in India on a bunsen where he scored 73 and 20*. He can get bogged down a bit at times, but has fixed that problem to a degree over the summer and played Herath very well including obviously the 200*. Roots problem remains as a starter against the new ball for my money.
Didn't totally convince me against Lyon but didn't embarrass himself either, would rate Smith a little better in terms of playing spin at this stage

91Jmay

International Coach
Didn't totally convince me against Lyon but didn't embarrass himself either, would rate Smith a little better in terms of playing spin at this stage
Yeah I'd say Smith is a better player of spin, but i think Smith is excellent against it. Haven't seen anything to call Root terrible against it though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have him opening the batting, as with all due respect to his bowling, he's going to need a new role after he's played Australia next summer
Pfft, Sanga is his bunny, and he goes through the Indian line-up like a dose of salts. He'll have no problem with that lot.

In fact I'm going to copyright the phrase "Ali's Ashes", will make a fortune.