• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi, not a match winner but a match looser

Shahid Afridi, a match winner or loser?

• Total voters

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
One of the opinions of people which dissapoint me the most is "Afridi is such a player that when he plays good, he wins the match no matter what. He is the best match winner.". Afridi does so because of the reliance of team Pakistan on him. Because of that reliance Afridi wins only a single match in a series and because of the same reliance, most of other matches are lost which is Afridi's fault.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
On proportionate basis,he is a much bigger match loser than a match winner. Countless times , when Pakistan needed simply 30-40 runs with enough overs, he failed and Pakistan lost. An award like the loser of the match would have supported my statement. Unfortunately , only MOM exist.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think on Cricketweb you are preaching to the converted, most of us think he's a hack with the bat, who certainly doesn't even win a match a series. With the ball he's better TBH, but needs the right pitches.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Against big teams he always seems to go missing. Flopped in the real area, test matches, so can't be defined as a match winner.

cnerd123

likes this
Afridi didn't flop in Tests - his career record isnt bad.
He wasn't great but didn't flop.

Last few years he has been used well - as a bowler whom shouldn't be relied on with the bat. In that role he is a match winner.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a little known rule of thumb that if someone is a massive Afridi fan or rates him very highly, they invariably have no idea about cricket of any format.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Afridi won Pakistan the 2011 World Cup quarter-final vs. West Indies with 4 wickets, and if Misbah and Younis Khan could catch, he probably was on his way to winning Pakistan the semi-final vs. India too as he had Tendulkar out twice.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Disappointing. I saw Dawood started a new thread and was really hoping to discuss The BIG SHOW and his brilliance.

uvelocity

International Coach
Afridi won Pakistan the 2011 World Cup quarter-final vs. West Indies with 4 wickets, and if Misbah and Younis Khan could catch, he probably was on his way to winning Pakistan the semi-final vs. India too as he had Tendulkar out twice.
last time i checked they didnt give out trophies for semi finals ****

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Read my post again and then when you realise your post is irrelevant punch yourself in the face.