• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fred Trueman or Tom Richardson

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If resurrections or time-travel or some-other-batty-fantasy-thing were possible, which of Fred Trueman and Tom Richardson would you like to see open the bowling for England today?

By today, I don't mean the Lord's first day pitch, but for representing English cricket in general :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fred, tbh.

I admire the trundler's art, but a proper, nasty, fire-breathing quick is beyond platinum in value.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Have seen Trueman bowl on video footage, so probably Richardson.

I'd love to see Richardson, Lohmann, Spofforth, CTB Turner and JJ Ferris bowl.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not English sdgaf about who would make them win more games.

watson

Banned
Have seen Trueman bowl on video footage, so probably Richardson.

I'd love to see Richardson, Lohmann, Spofforth, CTB Turner and JJ Ferris bowl.
Not to mention Barnes, Jones, Cotter, Briggs, Noble, Lockwood, and Rhodes. Surely one of life's minor frustrations not to be able to watch them in action.

watson

Banned
Fred Trueman is probably the superior bowler of the two, but this didn't stop Wisden naming Richardson a player of the 'Wisden century' in 1963;

Six giants of the Wisden century

Neville Cardus

I have been asked by the Editor of Wisden to write appreciations of six great cricketers of the past hundred years. I am honoured by this invitation, but it puts me in an invidious position. Which ever player I choose for this representative little gallery I am bound to leave out an important name. My selection of immortal centenarians is as follows:-- W.G. Grace, Sir Jack Hobbs, Sir Donald Bradman, Tom Richardson, S.F. Barnes and Victor Trumper.

But where -- I can already hear in my imagination a thousand protesting voices (including my own)--where are Ranji, Spofforth, Rhodes, J.T. Tyldesley, who, in one rubber v. Australia, was the only professional batsman in England thought good enough to play for his country on the strength of his batting alone? Where are Macartney, Aubrey Faulkner, O'Reilly, Keith Miller, Woolley, Lindwall, Sir Leonard Hutton? And where are many other illustrious names, Australian and English?

I'll give reasons why my six have been picked. There have been, there still are, many cricketers who possess the gifts to bat brilliantly, skilfully and prosperously. There have been, there still are, many bowlers capable of wonderful and destructive arts. But there have been a few who have not only contributed handsome runs and taken worthy wickets by the hundred, but also have given to the technique and style of cricket a new twist, a new direction.

These creative players have enriched the game by expanding in a fresh way some already established method. One or two of them have actually invented a technical trick of their own.

Sadly for their posterity, they have often been the experimental unfulfilled pioneers, such as B.J.T. Bosanquet, who was the first bowler to baffle great batsmen in Test cricket by means of the googly. J.B. King, a Philadelphian, demonstrated the potentialities of a swerving ball. My immortal six were at one and the same time masters of the old and initiators of the new.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/152764.html

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we are talking today then definitely Fred - the Indians were scared ****less of him - 53 at 14 agin 'em

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
I haven't read a great deal on Tom Richardson but even if I had, I'd still opt for Fred Trueman.

Quick, hostile and always aggressive, Trueman was the epitome of the brooding pace bowler and rightfully deserved the accolade of 'fiery' with his absolutely brilliant, witty quips. From the impression conveyed across from reading various articles on him, he seemed to be an individual always frothing at the mouth and never hesitant to tell anybody what he thought of them - whether that be the opposition batsman or his own team-mates. A typical Yorkshireman, one of my favourite anecdotes of his is the following:

After the ball which Raman Subba Row had dropped off Fred Trueman's bowling had gone for four-Subba Row; "I'm sorry about that, it might have been better if I had kept my legs together."

Trueman: "Aye, it's a pity your mother didn't!"
Fred would've made a huge difference with his lack of subtlety to "stick it up 'em" (especially at the Indians) - this sport is full of pansies nowadays. Some much-needed aggression and pure pace is required to settle the across-the-line sloggers (with their non-existent ability to play true pace or bounce) back into the rightful place.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think Richardson was more deadly and reliable at his peak. However Trueman was more adaptable and remained effective even after he lost pace. Richardson had 5 good years then began to wane.