• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela Jayawardene retires from tests

Flem274*

123/5
Mahela Jayawardene has said he will retire from Test cricket following the series against South Africa and Pakistan.

"It was not an easy decision to make given that it has been a great privilege and honour representing my country during the past 18 years, but I believe this is the right time," Jayawardene stated in a release.
Sri Lanka Cricket News: Mahela Jayawardene to retire from Tests | ESPN Cricinfo

It was coming but I can't imagine SL without him. A fixture, and one of Sri Lanka's best.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Not really surprising but still shocking (if you get what i mean). A really class player. Will miss his knocks for sure.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I called this before the England series, what a man, really glad we got him a win in England in the end, hopefully he has another good home summer to go out on. Sri Lanka's 3rd best batsmen of all time?

Flametree

International 12th Man
It is a mark of getting old, seeing players like Jayawardene who have been around for what feels like pretty much all of my cricket-following life, decide they are too old to continue....

I had forgotten that his debut match was the 952-7 innings. So he started his test batting career at the small matter of 790-4!!!! He had bowled first change in the Indian innings four days earlier...

smash84

The Tiger King
Thanks for the memories Jayawardena. Your long innings comes to an end. You will be missed.

Teja.

Global Moderator
A majestic batsman with outstanding longevity and an integral part of a middle order that was the second most important factor in Sri Lanka becoming a formidable cricketing nation in the noughties. It's great to see him end his test career on such a high note.

Such a ****ing gun bloke too, a genuinely nice guy but took no **** from anybody and had no problem responding to what he thought were uncalled for comments (Mankading) which in this world of extremely politically correct cricketers is good to see.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
A genius with the bat who will be missed. Very stylish bat who is genuinely a big game player. Hope he will help Sri Lanka develop it's cricket in the future. Thanks for the memories and being a great servant to your country.

Blocky

Banned
Champion player - spent most of his career as the best batsman Sri Lanka had ever produced until Sangakkara ripped it from him. He'll be missed.

Blocky

Banned
Yeah I called this before the England series, what a man, really glad we got him a win in England in the end, hopefully he has another good home summer to go out on. Sri Lanka's 3rd best batsmen of all time?
I'd say second.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahela, being your fan, you wouldn't believe the number of crude jokes I have had to endure with respect to your first name. Your role in making Sri Lanka a major force in World Cricket was immense for the game :)

So Long and Thanks :)

Blocky

Banned
Nostalgia - Sanga is #1 by any metric, Jayawardene #2 by any metric. De Silva looked a class act when he got in and had some classical shots, but I'd even argue for Samaraweera ahead of him as the third best, De Silva fourth.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Nostalgia - Sanga is #1 by any metric, Jayawardene #2 by any metric. De Silva looked a class act when he got in and had some classical shots, but I'd even argue for Samaraweera ahead of him as the third best, De Silva fourth.
Without wanting to derail the topic of the thread, we will have to agree to disagree( which is fundamental to debating as opposed to arguing as seen on other sites) . IMO Aravinda was the best player of the short ball we had and his innings in the 96WC was the best I have seen by our batsmen(tbf I could see Sanga as good and therefore joint#1. As for Thilan, fantastic player- but only in tests whereas Mahela has done it in both forms, hence why I reckon he is #3

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if you want to debate the merits of Aravinda de Sliva as a batsman vis-a-vis other Sri Lankans, create your own thread.

EDIT: Actually, don't. I created one for you because I'm such a top bloke :ph34r:

Standard retirement thread moderation applies; let's keep this about Mahela.
[/mod]

sadface.jpg

Classy batsman, even if us Australians never saw him at his best in the way we've seen Sanga. Also a quality slipper and a very useful captain. It's a shame to see him go.

I also think that what he brought to the Sri Lankan side was intangible; SL may struggle to adapt without him given the leadership role he still plays in the squad. I swear half the time it looks like he's still captaining the side, such is his guidance to people like Mathews and Malinga.

Hope he stays around the SL set-up or goes into coaching. He seems to be a very intelligent, level-headed customer who knows what he's talking about. A coaching, administrative of commentary duo of him and Sanga could be a force to be reckoned with off the pitch, just as much as when they were batting together.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Knew it was coming. Had had a pretty poor run of form in the last couple of years. Very pleased that he got the win in England and actually contributed to it too. Classy bat and an absolutely monstrously good player on dusty spinners. His 180 v England probably one of the best ever innings in those conditions.

But nostalgia or not, Aravinda was better for me. #1 Sanga #2 Aravinda #3 Mahela with Thilan close behind. Always thought he was an irritating **** though, probably because of his unforgivable voice.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without wanting to derail the topic of the thread, we will have to agree to disagree( which is fundamental to debating as opposed to arguing as seen on other sites) . IMO Aravinda was the best player of the short ball we had and his innings in the 96WC was the best I have seen by our batsmen(tbf I could see Sanga as good and therefore joint#1. As for Thilan, fantastic player- but only in tests whereas Mahela has done it in both forms, hence why I reckon he is #3
Mahela is a pretty poor odi batsman imo. Average in the low 30s is extremely disappointing for such a good batsman. Played the best knock of the 2011 final, though, so there's that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Surely he and Sangakkara must be close to holding the record for the most runs made over a career in partnership by two batsmen? One of the greats at batting in strong partnerships, and one of the greats of big innings.