• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

viriya

International Captain
Also found a bug in the current ratings discounting which had a significant effect (basically I was discounting almost twice as much as I should've in the first place). The major changes:

- Sarfraz Ahmed jumps to #2 in the Current Test Batting list (from #27), Faf du Plessis jumps to #9 from #22, Rahane jumps to #14 from #25:
cricrate | Current Top Test Batsmen
- Hobbs moves to #19 from #26, Miandad replaces AB in the top 10, Dudley Nourse moves to #11 from #18 in the Best Test Batting Careers list:
cricrate | Best Test Batting Careers
- Yasir Shah jumps from #23 to #4, Mark Craig moves from #29 to #9, Hazlewood moves from #30 to #14 in the Current Test Bowlers list:
cricrate | Current Top Test Bowlers
- Bill O'Reilly moves from #8 to #5, Grimmett replaces Ambrose in the top 10 Best Test Bowling Careers list:
cricrate | Best Test Bowling Careers
- Kapil Dev replaces Shaun Pollock in the top 10 in the Best Test All-Round Careers list:
cricrate | Best Test All-Round Careers

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The part where I consider the quality of the batsman? It's a much smaller factor than it used to be because of some of the discussion.
Drop rates aren't really reflective of a fielder's competence imo. Lots of people were arguing this point iirc.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I will accept Kane as number one though.

Mark Craig in the top 10 is weird. Away performances and high scoring matches pretty good for boosting his rating I assume. Would think Lyon should be up there.

viriya

International Captain
No, combining drop rates (no matter how accurate) and runs saved is far too unrepresentative for an overall rating of fielding.
It's drop rates, great catches, direct hits, runs saved, misfields, missed stumpings and great stumpings.. what exactly am I missing that can be plausibly used? afaik this is the by far the best available way of rating fielders.

viriya

International Captain
Mark Craig in the top 10 is weird. Away performances and high scoring matches pretty good for boosting his rating I assume. Would think Lyon should be up there.
His rating went from 524 to 731 from the last Test he played which is incidentally his 20th innings (no more discounted rating). Since the sample size is so small it's volatile, so a poor performance in the next Test will see him drop down to the top 25 quickly.

Lyon has been consistently good (600-700 points) for Aus for some time now.. I would imagine Craig would find steady state around there as well.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Sarfraz seems like an odd name but 50 at a 75 SR over 30+ innings is no joke.. Especially considering how most of his significant knocks were backs to the wall innings that are rated highly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Had viriya been asked about Sarfraz about 18 hours ago, he would have justified why his batting is as mediocre as his name and why #27 is the perfect ranking for him. :p

viriya

International Captain
Had viriya been asked about Sarfraz about 18 hours ago, he would have justified why his batting is as mediocre as his name and why #27 is the perfect ranking for him. :p
From the number of times I change my formulas you should know by now that I never consider any of this perfect.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sarfraz at number 2 at the moment is perfectly justifiable. Good players exist from countries other than Australia, England and India.

viriya

International Captain
Even more impressive - he's averaging 82 in his last 20 innings with 3 tons and 6 fifties.. clearly 2nd best wicket-keeper batsman in the game right now.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think most of us who follow test matches know he has been quality recently regularly beating his best but it seems odd for someone with such a low highest score to be rated so highly.

With the recent update I found myself disagreeing with the big moves than agreeing with them. I actually liked the current test batting and bowling order before, less so now. I mean Craig at 9, really??