• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Unfortunately your boy Johnston (numerically inferior to Devcich) is beating him on both sides of the edge there. :p
Great video but it made me cringe. I have made my point repeatedly that batsman at all levels must learn to mimic Kane Williamson's style against spin. That video showed a very NZ style of combatting spin with a very laboured crease bound approach.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Against spin bowlers in PS cricket, he's used his feet in 16 of 432 balls. Scores 46/2 when filtered.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he should probably Brendan Nash it, that Johnston. The NZ CPA and NZC's turf scientists won't be throwing him a bone anytime soon.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Orbit the Duke across the seam, land ball on the pronounced seam, hit splice or glove, cause problems.
"I can do that for you at 135kph, Kippax. We don't need spinners for your tactic to come into play" - Wagner

z

Flem274*

123/5
did they put on that big of an opening stand last time? good to know i've successfully deleted the majority of that tour from memory.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh it was a good tour, alright. Would you like a compilation of Deonarine's wickets? :p

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Craig's not PC about the 15 degree gang:

Not that the 27-year-old Craig cares how he ended up in the team. He's out to show that the right man's on tour and to disprove the theory of Patel's Wellington coach Jamie Siddons that it's hard to succeed in international cricket without a dubiously-delivered doosra or carrom ball up your sleeve.

"I don't think that's necessarily correct. I mean, you look at [former England player] Graeme Swann, he's been a very successful off spinner and he doesn't throw the ball at all," Craig said before the Black Caps' departure to Jamaica on Saturday.

"He's been a conventional off spinner so I think there's still a place in the game for those guys that don't throw the ball. It just means that you've got to work that little bit harder in terms of deceiving guys in the air and things like that, if you don't have the one that goes the other way."

Mark Craig is ready to let rip on Windies tour | Stuff.co.nz

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
News | WEST INDIES CRICKET BOARD

PALMER TO LEAD JAMAICA VS NEW ZEALAND

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Former Jamaica under 19 Captain Paul Palmer will lead a 22 member national squad in the two tour games against the New Zealand team at the Trelawny Multi Purpose Stadium.

The two day game will take place on May 29 and 30 with the three day encounter slated for June 2, 3 and 4.

The youthful squad also includes several of the emerging players that took part in Jamaica’s recent title success in the WICB Regional 4 day championship.

They are wicketkeeper batsman Horace Miller, Openers Jon Ross Campbell, John Campbell, off spinner Jamie Merchant, leg spinner Damion Jacobs, fast bowler Brian Buchanan and batsman Andre McCarthy.

Veteran leg spinner Odean Brown is also named in the squad along with opener Shacaya Thomas who featured for the Combined Colleges and Campuses in the recently concluded regional 4 day championship.

“We want to continue to expose the young talent that we have here in Jamaica,” declared Chairman of Jamaica’s selection panel Wavell Hinds.

“Some of the players got their first taste of first class cricket this past season and we want to continue to expose them to the highest level of competition”.

Hinds added that a number of the players in the squad will form the nucleus of Jamaica’s cricket in the near future.

“We want the players to have a feel of what it is like to play at the first class level and so that is why we are putting them on show as part of their cricketing development.”

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...ul-jamaica-squad-against-new-zealand_16715557

Entry to the matches will cost $300 each day.

Jamaica Squad: Horace Miller, Jon-Ross Campbell, Kennar Lewis, Delbert Gayle, Cassius Burton Jnr, Brandon King, Derval Green, Aldaine Thomas, Paul Palmer (captain), Gavon Brown, John Campbell, Nicholson Gordon, Jamie Merchant, Damion Jacobs, Odean Brown, Brian Buchanan, Christopher Powell, Ramaal Lewis, Shacaya Thomas, Fabian Allen, Andre McCarthy, and Marquino Mindley.
Sonny Shaw will do anything for love in the Caribbean, but he won't do that.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am still dealing with images of sonny shaw yelling through a home made loud speaker at the basin.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Palmer to lead youthful Jamaica squad against New Zealand - Sport - JamaicaObserver.com

Sonny Shaw will do anything for love in the Caribbean, but he won't do that.
Wow..just seen that Jamaica squad....some very decent talents there i must say...here's my thoughts on who could play..

Shacaya Thomas= just had his best first class season with CCC...scoring two tons and some 50s too...this will be his first game for Jamaica and he's similar to Warner in that he's stocky and very aggressive.

John Campbell= another who had an ok first class season for Jamaica...got a ton on debut and is a former WI u19s player

Andre Mccarthy= middle order batsman in his mid 20s who is just starting to perform for Jamaica now..i expect him to do ok

Fabian Allen= 19 year old middle order batsman who i really like the look of...hasn't played a first class game yet but seen him play very recently for the WI u19s and he's very correct at the crease with loads of shots in his make-up

Aldaine Thomas= talented wicket-keeper/batsman...been in Carlton Baugh's shadow for a while so it will be interesting to see how he does here

Ramaal Lewis= much hyped captain of the WI u19s...very good off-spinner who keeps a good line and has the nack of taking wickets..only 17 though so not sure he'll play

Brian Buchanan= decent right-arm quick...struggles to get a game because Jamaica have Cotterrell and Taylor but he's got decent potential

Damian Jacobs= 29 years old who only made his first class debut this year because Odean Brown and Miller have been such a powerful force for Jamaica over the years...but Brown got injured and he stepped in and done very well

Marquino Mindley= 19 year old right-arm pacer...has gone to the last two u19 world cups and much has been expected of him...should be a good test for the lad if he plays.

All in all i think there's enough in that squad to give NZ a good battle..i'm eager to see how the youngsters get on as this will be great experience for them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
WW- what's the talk like about this Kirstan Kallicharan? Has he been earmarked as one to watch for a while, or was he a bit unknown beforehand? Is there any connection with Alvin?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
WW- what's the talk like about this Kirstan Kallicharan? Has he been earmarked as one to watch for a while, or was he a bit unknown beforehand? Is there any connection with Alvin?
Didn't want to mention him yet but as you've done the honours :D ...yeah well the kid is causing a massive stir in the caribbean right now...completely smashed Brian Lara's schoolboy record age just 13 and then the other day amoungst getting a ton and a double ton he only went and hit 404 not out in about 28/30 overs...just incredible stuff. The game after he hit another ton aswell...not sure if he's related to Alvin though.

But yeah the latest is at 14 he's now gonna play for the Trinidad u17s and is being eyed up to play for the u19s aswell...the kid bats way beyond his years and we're hoping he could be another great in the making..we'll just have to wait and see because things can change quickly at youth level but no doubt we haven't witnessed anything like this hype since Brian was a kid..even Trinidad coaches who saw Lara as a schoolboy are saying KK is on a par at that age if not better. But hey no pressure :laugh: .

I just hope the lad settles in at u17 level and develops his game from there...

Last edited: