• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Flem274*

123/5
That's a pretty reasonable squad. Is Bennett alive or dead? He's been pretty good whenever fit. Wouldn't be surprised if he missed the squad entirely or started every game.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ideally, Vettori's batting would still be good enough to bat him at 6/7, then we could squeeze him and NcCullum into the same team, with Watling up the top of the order, and Anderson floating somewhere between 5 and 7 depending on the circumstances. However, having played almost no competitive cricket in the last 2 years, I suspect that Vettori's batting is probably not much better than it was when he made his debut as an 18 year old.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The middle overs strangle is looking unimaginative, innocuous and ill-advised with NcCullum and Vettori not exactly being properly played in.

Still, it's one of the things we need to check up on.

I do want to see Anderson given proper overs. They might be working on his death bowling.

Mike5181

International Captain
Vettori's bowling better than NMac. That's a plus at least. Not that I dislike Matress, I just think with Williamson out, we need someone who can legitimately average 30-35 with the ball, and keep the runs down.

I said it a year ago, but if it came down to it - I'd have Henry over McClenaghan in an ODI side.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This will sound weird but I almost want Sodhi there. It would be good to have someone actually take wickets in the middle overs.

BeeGee

International Captain
Ideally, Vettori's batting would still be good enough to bat him at 6/7, then we could squeeze him and NcCullum into the same team, with Watling up the top of the order, and Anderson floating somewhere between 5 and 7 depending on the circumstances. However, having played almost no competitive cricket in the last 2 years, I suspect that Vettori's batting is probably not much better than it was when he made his debut as an 18 year old.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing an XI something like this:

Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum*
Anderson
Watling†
Vettori
Southee
NcCullum
Mills
Henry

There would be pressure on Vettori to deliver with the bat, but the fact that our bowlers can hold a bat makes this mix possible. Neesham or Mclenaghan could replace NcCullum based on the pitch or form.

The experiment with Neesham opening will be interesting. It would be awesome if it did come off, but I don't have high hopes. It just seems like a continuation of the ongoing attempt to get a bowler/allrounder to open the innings, like Vettori and Mills tried previously.

Last edited:

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing an XI something like this:

Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum*
Anderson
Watling†
Vettori
Southee
NcCullum
Mills
Henry
Anderson batting at #5 does seem a little weak. I would be surprised to see him bat higher than 6 and to see no Latham.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah if you're going to play both NcCullum and Vettori you pick a batsman over Anderson.

I don't think they both should play though. Better to hammer Neesham and Anderson at the middle overs role between now and the world cup until we know they can deliver.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Vettori's bowling better than NMac. That's a plus at least. Not that I dislike Matress, I just think with Williamson out, we need someone who can legitimately average 30-35 with the ball, and keep the runs down.

I said it a year ago, but if it came down to it - I'd have Henry over McClenaghan in an ODI side.
Williamson might very well be back in time for WC, I think I heard hesson say that he was in aussie recently for unofficial testing and dependent on results will go for full testing.

BeeGee

International Captain
I don't think they both should play though. Better to hammer Neesham and Anderson at the middle overs role between now and the world cup until we know they can deliver.
I'm confident Anderson can do a job with the ball. I'm far less confident about Neesham's bowling. We shall see.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure why we're expecting Williamson to be a high enough quality 6th bowler after a complete overhaul of his action.

BeeGee

International Captain
Williamson might very well be back in time for WC, I think I heard hesson say that he was in aussie recently for unofficial testing and dependent on results will go for full testing.
That would be great to have the extra bowling option, but honestly Williamson's bowling in ODIs it pretty ordinary. Unless his re-modeled action has made him a better bowler, but that would take a miracle.

Maybe he could bowl with his left arm. :ph34r:

Last edited: