• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root and Wood(durham) both back playing 2nd xi cricket. Sounds like Root might play at the weekend for the 1st xi.

Northants tried to sign Hales on loan but the deal has fallen through.
That's a shame, would have been a decent deal for both of them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mark Wood is gonna take so many poles this year.
Yeah, I'm a fan. He'd be in my twelve for the first Test of the summer if he was properly fit and playing by then. In fact I think Scaly would quite love my twelve in general - maybe that means I ought to change it. :p

grecian

Yeah, I'm a fan. He'd be in my twelve for the first Test of the summer if he was properly fit and playing by then. In fact I think Scaly would quite love my twelve in general - maybe that means I ought to change it. :p
If it's got Borthwick and Onions (even though I enjoyed his performance yesterday) change it.

I too rate Wood though, has everything about him to be a proper international bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If it's got Borthwick and Onions (even though I enjoyed his performance yesterday) change it.

I too rate Wood though, has everything about him to be a proper international bowler.
Has Onions (and Stokes), not Borthwick though.

I've felt Onions to be a little over-rated on this forum for a while now, but I just think it makes a lot of sense to pick him with England have two big home series (v India and v Australia) over the next couple of years. If England's big series in the pipeline were away from home or not for another three years or so then I could see the logic behind going for someone younger and more likely to perform overseas like Wood or Jordan ahead of him, but Onions could play a big role at home over the next couple of seasons and with India and Australia touring in that time I think he could be a big asset.

grecian

I dunno, he didn't have a great winter for the Dolphins, hasn't started the season brilliantly. If you're picking someone for great domestic form, than it would be nice if he was in great domrstic form.

Time to strike a line through for me, but who knows he may take a shedload in the next couple of matches.

TBH, I think most have Stokes in (if fit), he's proving us Southern, shandy-drinking, quiche-loving, metrosexual softies to be wrong.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nothing like a two test series against Sri Lanka in June to test him out though. If he doesn't perform then, he probably won't perform ever.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Unless Onions literally can't bowl this season he has to be in the side for the Sri Lanka series.

I've never rated him particularly highly but the rest of the seamers available are complete and utter dross, and it's not like Onions ever disgraced himself when he's actually played Tests.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne ****ing White gradually reaching the levels of M Vijay in the "cricketers Dan dislikes" stakes.

Will taste so hard if he ever does something meaningful with the ball, but let's face it, he never will.

Flem274*

123/5
Are you ****s telling me King Kyle isn't in firsts?

Kyle Jarvis would make several test sides as well as Zimbabwe.

Jarquis

But their team balance is based around picking three number 8s at the moment. Yeah, picking Jarvis ahead of White would improve the bowling but then you've got 7. Smith, 8. Chapple 9-11 rabbits.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I was advocating an extra batsman in the first game when Chapple wasn't available. We would have had Proctor & Reece as 4/5th seamers in any case.

Still those 22 runs @ 5.5 have proved his tenacious lower order batting qualities

fredfertang

But their team balance is based around picking three number 8s at the moment. Yeah, picking Jarvis ahead of White would improve the bowling but then you've got 7. Smith, 8. Chapple 9-11 rabbits.
Actually we have six number 8s at the moment plus Horts and Prince - can't believe they'll leave out Jarvis again this week, but if they do I shall be seeking Cricketing Asylum in the Broadacres