• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
tbf in 4 day cricket the wickets at taunton have been a lot more competitive over the last three years or so. In one day cricket they remain a paradise.

Doubt any of the groundsman would have thought of 3 straight (and probably a fourth tomorrow) days of sunshine at this time of year. Plent of flat wickets.

Finn doing his bit to get a win for middlesex.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What a result - and what a start to the season for Sussex. Fingers crossed Robbo mucks up his job interview this afternoon so that we can keep hold of him.

91Jmay

International Coach
Credit to Sussex, they didn't panic and Joyce played two gems. Lots of questions for Bears about our top order batting yet again, need Rankin back for a bit of variety as well.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hundred for Carbs on the last day. Made it in decent time too, 100 off 131 balls. Should be a shoot-out between Carbs and Robson for that 2nd opening slot.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A shoot out in which Robson will be playing the part of Oscar Pistorius I suspect. I don't think Carberry is likely to play again for England.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome words from George Dobell on cricinfo:

There is something quietly but deeply impressive about Sussex. It is not just that they play pleasing but hard cricket. It is not just that they retain the atmosphere of a family club while fulfilling their role as an elite centre of sporting excellence and it is not just that they have rehabilitated lost cricketers such as Chris Jordan and Jimmy Anyon and moulded them into fine players.

It is also that, throughout this game, they played with a generosity of spirit that sometimes seems to have vanished from professional sport. So when Warwickshire batsmen reached landmarks - such as Ian Bell's splendid century or Rikki Clarke's pleasing half-century - they were greeted with genuine applause from their opponents, and when Bell edged to the slips, Joyce was quick to inform the umpires that the ball did not carry.

One point I'd pick up from this: applauding landmarks by the other side is important and professional teams' near-universal refusal to do it bugs me no end.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A shoot out in which Robson will be playing the part of Oscar Pistorius I suspect. I don't think Carberry is likely to play again for England.
Yeah neither him or Compton are going to be back.

Good win today, won on the back of the batsmen (Vince in particular) really dominating a poor bowling attack and that is what we are going to have to do to get out this division given that our bowling is still somewhat limited. Good start for Abbott though, 7 wickets in the match.

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Good to see many England and prospective England players doing well. Bell, Cook, Robson, Finn, Ali doing ok, Morgan. Matt Prior starting with a ton...he will be straight back in, not sure about Trotty yet.

I have seen talk of Rashid playing against Sri Lanka but surely not as a bowler? He seems very expensive for the wickets he takes. He never seemed to progress as a quality leg spinner. I think Ali will play, bowl some off spin and initially bat lower down.

Sean Flynn

Yeah neither him or Compton are going to be back.

Good win today, won on the back of the batsmen (Vince in particular) really dominating a poor bowling attack and that is what we are going to have to do to get out this division given that our bowling is still somewhat limited. Good start for Abbott though, 7 wickets in the match.
Carbs may well be back. A nice not out century yesterday in a winning cause. Our cautious selectors may possibly pick him for the first Test ahead of Robbo. You never know.

grecian

Good to see many England and prospective England players doing well. Bell, Cook, Robson, Finn, Ali doing ok, Morgan. Matt Prior starting with a ton...he will be straight back in, not sure about Trotty yet.

I have seen talk of Rashid playing against Sri Lanka but surely not as a bowler? He seems very expensive for the wickets he takes. He never seemed to progress as a quality leg spinner. I think Ali will play, bowl some off spin and initially bat lower down.
No chance for Rashid, you need someone in the job that can keep it tight, he is incapable of that. Thrashed again at Taunton, I'd rather Borthwick. His bowling has regressed as his batting has come on.

Sean Flynn

Rashid seems to be scoring pretty regular centuries these days...but also conceding regular centuries with the ball!! If he does that at county level then he will almost certainly not succeed at Test level. I haven't really seen him bowl much. Is it an obvious accuracy issue? Because he has got the googly and hides it well. I'm surprised his bowling hasn't come on.

grecian

Accuracy, combined with the fact the leg-break doesn't really break that much. Just a poor bowler at present IMHO.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
No chance for Carbs, IMO. Not good enough down here to secure a spot, and then criticised the selectors.

Card would be pretty close to marked.

Cook/Robson/Compton would be up there as my preference for a top 3, I reckon (unless Trott makes a ton of early season runs)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No chance for Carbs, IMO. Not good enough down here to secure a spot, and then criticised the selectors.

Card would be pretty close to marked.

Cook/Robson/Compton would be up there as my preference for a top 3, I reckon (unless Trott makes a ton of early season runs)
I know you said your preference so I'm not exactly correcting you as much as much as just expanding on your post, but Compton did pretty much the same time - not quite good enough and then criticised the selectors - so his card will be marked as well.

grecian

Yes, I don't see either of them being back in, they're getting on a bit too.

Cook
Robson
Moeen
Bell
Root
Morgan
Prior
Stokes (if fit)
Jordan
Broad
Anderson

Likely to be the side for the First Test I reckon, I'd obviously not pick Morgan myself, in fact I'd have about 10 ahead of him, but I'd pretty much agree with the rest if they decide on that. I don't want Trott rushed back, I've not been convinced by his interviews or form that he's ready to play for England again yet.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon Ballance will be there. Should be too. Reckon the only way he won't play as if Stokes bats six and Trott comes back.