Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Should Dhoni still captain India?

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

Should Dhoni still captain India?

Just something that hit me during the NZ tour.He's been captain for almost 7 years now if you start with the first T20 world cup, and 7 years is a LOT.

He is obviously an integral part of their side an will continue to be one for the next few years atleast.But is Dhoni the captain declining? And isnt it time for India to give Kohli the reigns permanently? Or should Dhoni still say on as captain for a few more years?
    Arjun likes this.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Would like to see Kohli as captain eventually, but I think Dhoni still has something to give.

I don't think he's ever getting fired so it comes down to when Dhoni decides to step down himself, who knows when that will be.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He's not a good test match captain from my limited understanding of watching him in that role. Conventional fields are conventional for a reason.

Suspect he has a major say in selections as well and he ****s them up regularly. What he has going for him is that he's a good leader, it might be too early for Kohli and he's still probably the best wicket keeping batsmen in the country.

International Vice-Captain
    Not till the match fixing inquiry clears his name.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Dhoni should definitely captain india in LO formats. He is a very good captain and player in it.

As for tests I am not sure he even deserves a place in the side let alone captaincy.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Shouldn't be captain in tests. Doing okay in ODIs. Actually hope India crash out of the WC in the first round next year and we don't win an away test until then. That would surely get him sacked from at least one format.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Burdening Kohli with the captaincy before he's properly established himself in the Test side doesn't strike me as a particularly smart idea.

As someone who has called for Dhoni to be sacked twice before as test captain, I say let him continue. If he had to go it was after the loss at home to England. But there were no genuine replacements since we dropped Gambhir and Kohli wasn't ready yet. Let Dhoni lead India through the England and Australia series which he's done before. Don't throw a new captain into that, unfair on them.

Dravid basically summed it up here: India news : Rahul Dravid: MS Dhoni needs to take risks to win overseas | Cricket News | New Zealand v India | ESPN Cricinfo
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Chappell wants to contribute to the debate on CW

Ian Chappell: Time for MS Dhoni to go | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

He should remain captain but he should have no say whatsoever in team selection. I'm not sure to what extent he does have a say in selection at the moment, but the way he talks about the teams selected it sounds like he has a tremendous influence.

He regularly screws it up. Sure, it's nice to have a good fielder like Jadeja, but you have to take 20 wickets. And no, Ishant Sharma isn't a pragmatic option because he bowls long spells. He bowls long spells like a club cricketer - he's dropped down to the 120s by his 5th over.

Just get the young guys in the team. It worked for the batting and it can work for the bowling too.
    Arjun likes this.

Just taking the test selection out of his hand won't automatically change the way he approaches tests so i don't see why he should stick around as test captain

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Just taking the test selection out of his hand won't automatically change the way he approaches tests so i don't see why he should stick around as test captain
    there's nothing wrong with the way he approaches tests.

He set aggressive, attacking fields throughout both test matches and only changed things up once the bowlers were under the pump. I saw nothing wrong with his captaincy there.

International 12th Man
    I think captaincy with Kohli would be a return to the old days of infighting, political agendas and a team that doesn't enjoy playing with each other.

Dhoni is a good collaborator and has managed some pretty big egos over time. Kohli will see himself as bigger than the team. I have no clue why anyone would want Kohli to be captain after the failings of players like Tendulkar in that slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    I think captaincy with Kohli would be a return to the old days of infighting, political agendas and a team that doesn't enjoy playing with each other.

Dhoni is a good collaborator and has managed some pretty big egos over time. Kohli will see himself as bigger than the team..
    Ridiculous post. What basis do you have for saying that Kohli sees himself as bigger than the team?

And you don't think political agendas and infighting are still are major issue for India?

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Ridiculous post. What basis do you have for saying that Kohli sees himself as bigger than the team?

And you don't think political agendas and infighting are still are major issue for India?
    His well touted ego, arrogance and attitude issues? God, do you even read about cricket before posting?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information