• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup but doesn't erase 7 years of very good bowling. Swann had what, 4? Apart from a couple of bad years in the middle, Harbhajan was very very good from 2001 to 2009. Much more than Swann.
Surely 2012 and 2013 don't count against Harby? Dude played what 3 or 4 tests altogether in those two years? Another thing to remember is that Indian pitches became a lot more spinner friendly soon after Harby was dropped. From 2008-2010 India had some of the worst home pitches ever, even teams like NZ started to draw matches against us on those flat wkts. It's only recently that India started to prepare proper spinning Indian pitches.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hated Bhajji when he started bowling that ****ing leg stump line all the time before being dropped. Such a ****ty thing to do as a spinner on day 4 or 5 of a test match. Leg side filth that neither turned nor did anything really. Was a fan of the speeds he bowled at and the revolutions he imparted on the ball as a spinner when he was on form though. A proper turner would make his deliveries spit off the surface spectacularly as we saw in 2001.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Avoided posting in this thread to start with to see if my rage softened........it hasn't, and Graeme Swann can still go and get ****ed. Was such a fan and the way this ended has left me bitter and struggling to appreciate his fine career.

Not the man I thought he was.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats not to understand? He bailed on the tour and deserted a sinking ship.

I wouldn't have cared if he didn't play the last two tests.......he should have stayed with the team.

Do you think he would have gone home if Eng were 3-0 up?? These players aren't just here for the good times......if the fans can tough it out and see it through to the end is too much to ask the same of the players??

Spark

Global Moderator
If England were 3-0 he probably would have been bowling a lot better and wouldn't have needed to retire, to state the obvious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, but jumping a sinking ship after its struck the iceberg is a bad look for an experienced seaman.

I strongly suspect he'd been given the tap that he was out for Melbourne and he took his ball home with him.

Contrast his reaction with Prior's.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Look, I've tried to find every possible way of justifying it and I just can't.......believe me I don't want to be feeling this way towards someone that has brought me so much enjoyment.

He has said his elbow was giving him grief during the England leg and he was the leading wicket taker. I'm not sure how much could have changed between the Oval and Perth except that he and England were getting tonked.

He came to Aus to make history, once that was off the table he bailed. Like I say, if his injury was that bad that he couldn't play the last two, or even if he was going to be dropped........you don't just pack the bags and leave your mates.

Look to Matt Prior as an example of what a team man does......he stayed to spend time working with his replacement and to do everything he could to help the cause, however futile it may have been.

Edit:

BB beat me too it with the Prior comparison.

PS.

Spark you just gotta a freebie like off me......twas intended for BB :ph34r:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The reason he gave for his retirement was he was bowling poo and was dragging down the team. Would say it's pretty straightforward.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason he gave for his retirement was he was bowling poo and was dragging down the team. Would say it's pretty straightforward.
We had a whole squad playing like poo.........what if they all wanted to go home??

Look I understand this is a contentious issue and I'm no more likely to change your mind than you mine...........but it is far from straightforward.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Swann had the right to retire when he wanted. I think he had the right to go home when he wanted too. But its hard to deny that it looked like ****. Also hard to deny it wasn't **** for Cook and the rest of his team - another issue they had to deal with in the media.

Eds

International Debutant
Prior's obviously trying to get back into the team though. If he'd retired after being dropped do you really think he'd have stayed?

Unless you're suggesting Swann retired because he was dropped. And in that case, he's got every right to decide he doesn't want to fight to get back into the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We had a whole squad playing like poo.........what if they all wanted to go home??

Look I understand this is a contentious issue and I'm no more likely to change your mind than you mine...........but it is far from straightforward.
He's got a young family.

Yes it's selfish, but after his decision to retire, I can't blame him for getting the **** out of Australia and going home to spend Christmas with his wife and kid(s). I would have done exactly the same.

uvelocity

International Coach
nah im with adders. weak as piss.

we were all thinking it was strange (tm) when marto choofed off (brb wicket)

anyway as i was saying, at least we were winning when marto ****ed off. swan going home was as **** an act as ive seen by a cricketer in living memory.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a great surprise to see him go straight into media work, joining TMS for the West Indies tour. Could very much go either way, think he could be very good if he wanted to be, or he could just be ridiculously anoying.