• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

SeamUp

International Coach
The encouraging thing from SA's perspective is that 2 of our best batsmen in Fortuin (2 single figure scores) and Oldfield (looked all class for his 38 v Windies and then run out for 14 v Canada) haven't got going totally yet. Our other standout batsman is Yaseen Valli and has been in great form (51 & 102* and 6 wickets which makes him the leading run scorer and wicket taker. Then Kagsio Rabada showed what he is all about v the Windies with his pace and clean action and a bit of shape. To me those are our 4 stand out players. It was a bit tight against Canada but our 3 best seamers including Rabada was rested which can be crucial when you play every second day in this tournament.

Other players to have caught the eye for me from what I've seen.

West Indies: Ramaal Lewis, Gudakesh Motie, Ray Jordan (want to see a Tagenarine Chanderpaul innings and there is hype with Nicolas Pooran)
India: Sanju Samson, Sarfaraz Khan (*) , Kuldeep Yadav (**), Chama Milind (Obviosuly big talk re: Vijay Zol. Also thought Avesh Khan and Deepak Hooda have something to work with)
Pakistan: Sami Aslam , Imam Ul-Haq, Zafar Gohar, Karamat Ali (**)
Sri Lanka: Sadeera Samarawickrama & Harsha Rajapaksa (Need to see more of Kusal Mendis & Priyamal Perera)
England: Jonny Tattersall, Ed Barnard (***), Ben Duckett (***), Will Rhodes (Matthew Fisher seems highly rated also, opening the bowling at 16) (Dom Sibley more longer format at this stage)
Scotland: Gavin Main

* What a special talent this boy looks. Has no fear and somehow finds ways to score runs under pressure even when it looks like he is struggling.
** Great to see these 2 wrist spinners. Both look class.
*** Barnard and Duckett more on what I've seen before when they toured SA

Teams that haven't been on tv

Bangladesh: Heard a bit about Mossadek Hossain
Australia: Ben McDermott, Jake Doran, Kelvin Smith, Jaron Morgan seem to score runs at times. Not sure if any stars in the bowling. Bazleby seems to producing all-round performances.
New Zealand: Robert O'Donnell seems to be the star for them which was predicted.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disagree with you wrt Hooda and Avesh Khan. Atm they really seem pretty mediocre.

SeamUp

International Coach
Disagree with you wrt Hooda and Avesh Khan. Atm they really seem pretty mediocre.
More so Avesh Khan for me. He did get taken to the cleaners in the first game. But I really think he has a good action. Can definitely get quicker along with his good physique.

That is why I put them in brackets. Not the stars or standouts yet. Obviously India have been on twice. In terms of results now, they may not produce.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Our boys will be playing Afghanistan in the quarters !

These Bangers at u19 level are quite tough to beat so the Aussies may well be staring down the barrel.
Having seen them recently in a seven match series in the caribbean i can tell you they are VERY dagerous on turning wickets..their pacers aren't up to much but they have at least four spin options in their side that just keep coming at you. Personally i hope they are out before the final as far as WI is concerned because they are best avoided...even though our guys beat them three times and really would have won the series but for very poor batting in the last game after blasting BD out for 160.

Anyway today i thought Scotland kind of exposed India a little...that top order has been spoken about in glowing terms but a little pressure and they folded abit. Sri-lanka do look decent and in recent times have beaten Australia, India and England..but having seen the main sides i still think (without being biased of course) that WI have the best attack in this competition...they'v bowled out NZ for 145, bowled out Afganistan for 85, bowled out Zimbabwe for 106 and had SA 117/8 (granted they messed up badly towards the end) ..So the point is whether bowling first or second you're always in the game when your attack is dangerous.....i just get the feeling the asian sides bar Pakistan tend to rely on their batting mostly....we'll see how it works out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Having seen them recently in a seven match series in the caribbean i can tell you they are VERY dagerous on turning wickets..their pacers aren't up to much but they have at least four spin options in their side that just keep coming at you. Personally i hope they are out before the final as far as WI is concerned because they are best avoided...even though our guys beat them three times and really would have won the series but for very poor batting in the last game after blasting BD out for 160.

Anyway today i thought Scotland kind of exposed India a little...that top order has been spoken about in glowing terms but a little pressure and they folded abit. Sri-lanka do look decent and in recent times have beaten Australia, India and England..but having seen the main sides i still think (without being biased of course) that WI have the best attack in this competition...they'v bowled out NZ for 145, bowled out Afganistan for 85, bowled out Zimbabwe for 106 and had SA 117/8 (granted they messed up badly towards the end) ..So the point is whether bowling first or second you're always in the game when your attack is dangerous.....i just get the feeling the asian sides bar Pakistan tend to rely on their batting mostly....we'll see how it works out.
It looks like you will be meeting each other again in the quarters. Will be one of the televised QF's.

To be honest I thought SA batted poorly bar Oldfield in the beginning. Ray Jordan got 2 good wickets up front but both our openers will be disappointed with the way they got out. Then we gave away 3 run outs. Then I reckon Motie and Lewis going out of the attack was key and Valli batted extremely well more than the Windies bowling poorly and Dill is no tailender at this level. Had a good knock in our recent tour to India when he got the opportunity.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It looks like you will be meeting each other again in the quarters. Will be one of the televised QF's.

To be honest I thought SA batted poorly bar Oldfield in the beginning. Ray Jordan got 2 good wickets up front but both our openers will be disappointed with the way they got out. Then we gave away 3 run outs. Then I reckon Motie and Lewis going out of the attack was key and Valli batted extremely well more than the Windies bowling poorly and Dill is no tailender at this level. Had a good knock in our recent tour to India when he got the opportunity.
I thought we put SA under major pressure which resulted in the run outs!!..Moti-kanhai finishing his spell early also was a factor because with him bowling at the tail he would have kept things tight...but they bowled him out and then the others just got so relaxed which lead to the partnership forming!!..though obviously Valli batted very well too.

Shame we've got BD in quarters...gonna be tough with the history of them winning the last series....if we win the toss we better bat first...when we put up a good total (170 or above) we beat them fairly easily...but if they bat first and get close to 200 then forget it...as always though much will depend on young Chanderpaul...if he bats through the innings we'll score big.

brockley

International Captain
I don't see many of this lot playing international cricket in either 3 forms,some will struggle to get a run with a state,this looking like the Aussie side that lost to Bangladesh in the plate finals.Short and Mortimer struggled in the Interstate under 19 comp this year,how they we're picked makes you wonder.If we fail does Greg Chappell get the sack,surely.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Dane Watson 's action looks like he is bowling in fast forward. Honestly thought my toddler had changed the MySky to x2, but there was still sound .... Confusing.

Kind of like how when the old cine films are converted to the more modern format and makes people of the 1920s look like they are all in a hurry.

I don't remember his action being quite like this from the vault.

theegyptian

Real good spell by Fisher. Shades of Jimmy Anderson. Easy relaxed run up and action followed by natural outswing. Just 16 so hopefully in a few years he's bowling high 80's and getting the same natural swing.

theegyptian

Joe Clarke looked good for England with a nice cameo with the bat and kept decently again. NZ were pretty poor with the bat after Weer... but I think England really killed them in the last 10 overs of their innings where Eng nearly scored 100.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Profited from my knowledge of you this time, NZ U19. :p

Robbie (son of a batting coach) O'Donnell and lateral movement don't seem to be very good friends, dtstl. Weerasundara getting some compliments for his drives when they gave him width and some mild criticism for his wild haymakers and lack of innings craft after that. 21(20) early on, then out for 41(62).

So the plate comp it is. A game with PNG, then Australia or Afghanistan.

Last edited:

theegyptian

ha yes guess you were right. Not a huge amount of talent on show from either side. India for our guys in the QF. Don't see us coming through that. Maybe if the the top order contributed some runs. The middle to lower order are doing well.