• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Annoying Danny Morrison-isms

Days of Grace

International Captain
I was gonna post the same thing re: Morrison sounding a lot like Hughes.

I think Hughes was the commentator for that first T20 international between New Zealand and Australia at Eden Park when Ponting was in sublime form.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much prefer Mystery Morrison. Does he still do any radio? His Saturday morning talkshow on radio sport was quite good and I remember him doing the TVNZ commentary in the mid-1990s.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My major beef with mystery morrison was not his fault. The other commentators would continuosly explain why he was called Mystery.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah trying to sound like Graeme Hughes, he does live in Australia as well I believe.
YES! Thanks for recognising that - all I had was that it was someone that commentated NRL 10+ years ago and wasn't Ray Warren.

Morrison in hype-mode has copied the Hughes style verbatim - the tempo, the breathless sentence fragments, the elaborate pronunciation that dwells on every consonant (LAU-Waaah-TEEDEE), the trailing afterthought sentence at the end. Everything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think Wales' deal was that for one of their home matches at Cardiff, they wanted to be able to sing their national anthem as the last act before the beginning of the game (so that the Haka would come before it). When the WRU refused to budge on this, the All Blacks packed a sook and did the haka in their changing room instead. It really was a pathetic moment from the All Blacks and their staff.

Oh dear, I believe this has gone a bit off topic.
Didn't Wales also stare down the Haka instead of skulking off like they were supposed to? There's an epic video of it on YouTube.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My major beef with mystery morrison was not his fault. The other commentators would continuosly explain why he was called Mystery.
My beef with Mystery Morrison is that he's a lowest common denominator politician and a racist ***ist halfwit.

Would rather elect Danny tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
YES! Thanks for recognising that - all I had was that it was someone that commentated NRL 10+ years ago and wasn't Ray Warren.

Morrison in hype-mode has copied the Hughes style verbatim - the tempo, the breathless sentence fragments, the elaborate pronunciation that dwells on every consonant (LAU-Waaah-TEEDEE), the trailing afterthought sentence at the end. Everything.

Graeme Hughes was a good rugby league commentator though. Maybe Danny should take that up.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I remember a T20 from when England were in NZ this year, where the very first thing Morrison said was 'Eden Park, New Zealand's spotting Mecca, as we aim to hit the ground running with full momentum...'

It was like he had to get a quota of textbook bull**** phrases out of the way early, except he just kept on going.

I don't remember the match, thinking about it. Just him.

Kirkut

International Regular
Still nothing beats the duo of Mark Nicholas and Michael Slater, especially when Slater gets excited, fun to hear.

Mark Nicholas lingo for Yuvraj Singh - "Oh yuvi yuvi yuvi!!!!".

Stapel

International Regular
Denny Morrison : Nasser Hussain = T20 : Test Cricket.

Just saying that T20 gets what it deserves.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think Danny has found the leftover stash from Paarl on the 94/95 tour. Can't believe he hasn't upgraded his suitcase since then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Morrison shrieks every time any thing happens on a cricket field as if some one just put him on fire. It is deeply unsettling. I usually take a deep breath before pressing the mute button.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does the fact that there are people who enjoy his commentary qualify as a Danny Morrison-ism? If so, that's the worst one.