• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Hashim Amla be among strong contenders for a spot in the AT World XI?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Come now.... Amla has achieved a lot lot more. That said it is better to wait till he's played at least 100-110 matches.

I'm confident Amla will end up ATG... It's not just his consistency, he's proved himself by scoring bug runs in every country he's played in. He's succeeded literally everywhere already. Has shown he can score at an amazing pace without taking too many runs as well. Sign of a great player in the making.
Amla's a gun and he probably is going to be an ATG but just ****ing wait before saying he deserves to be in contention for not only ATG status, but an all-time XI.

Like those peeps who claimed Ponting was a lock for #2 to Bradman when he was averaging almost 60 in 2006.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if it counts..But Amla has great ODI stats as well..Very few had awesome test and ODI stats at the same time and they are all ATGs..

Amla is a very good player currently, but he is not even close to being in that team. Though he would probably be in an all-time South African team, or a 00's team.

He is probably the best current batsman in the world after Michael Clarke but Virat Kholi will take over soon

smash84

The Tiger King
Also this is the same as those people who said Hussey was soon to be an ATG.

Wait for career to be over.
Hussey started to come down from his 30th (or was it 40th?) test and started joining the mortals. It had been a consistent slide. Amla has played 70+ tests already and usually the players who are (somewhat) late bloomers do tend to do consistently well from the point that they start improving.

That's interesting, I would rate both Clarke and Hussey above Amla, even though Amla has been in great form for several years.

Hussey especially is a once-in-a-generation player. Considering he was unlucky not to be picked until the age of 30, and he was still dominating all forms at 38 years old. He's the only guy who's really been able to be top class in Test cricket, One-dayers and T20 cricket. And he can play any position at any stage of the game.

One thing Amla does have is remarkable stats in ODI cricket. An average of 54, batting at the top is unheard of.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't have him in a team of the last 20 years personally though he is close to it as i'd go for Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar and Kallis from 3-6. Not saying he isn't a fantastic player but he isn't quite up there with those guys but sits alongside the likes of Pietersen, Waugh, Inzi, Dravid, Laxman and virtually every Aussie bat 90-07 that played as just below those big guns.

Daemon

That's interesting, I would rate both Clarke and Hussey above Amla, even though Amla has been in great form for several years.

Hussey especially is a once-in-a-generation player. Considering he was unlucky not to be picked until the age of 30, and he was still dominating all forms at 38 years old. He's the only guy who's really been able to be top class in Test cricket, One-dayers and T20 cricket. And he can play any position at any stage of the game.

One thing Amla does have is remarkable stats in ODI cricket. An average of 54, batting at the top is unheard of.
Was he unlucky not be picked before 30? Thought he just wasn't good enough before that.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wouldn't have him in a team of the last 20 years personally though he is close to it as i'd go for Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar and Kallis from 3-6. Not saying he isn't a fantastic player but he isn't quite up there with those guys but sits alongside the likes of Pietersen, Waugh, Inzi, Dravid, Laxman and virtually every Aussie bat 90-07 that played as just below those big guns.
Ok. So what do you think he needs to do in order to break into that exclusive group?

Was he unlucky not be picked before 30? Thought he just wasn't good enough before that.
A little bit of both I think. He was averaging 45+ in the shield if I recall correctly, and scoring 2000+ runs a season in county cricket for years before he managed to be selected, and he would have been playing for any other Test team for years if not for Australia having such a strong team.

But there was nothing that much different with his domestic performances in 2005 than there was for the 5 or so years before that, so there's no reason to think that he wouldn't have performed just as well if selected earlier.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Pretty much. Tough to make a case for him getting picked before he did, especially given his competition.
Yeah that's more what it was, the other guys who couldn't get in to that side. I know a few of them could be argued should have been in the side, and were argued at the time iirc. Love, Law, Maher, Hodge, Cox, DeVenuto, Lehmann that's only off the top of my head there were many others, we'd love to have in the side now.

Burgey

Wasn't claiming that all 3 are great, just that it's generally considered the best of bowling attacks nowadays, and he hasn't had to face it.

Great and All-Time Great are two different things, by the way.
Harris is a better bowler than Anderson, but you know, injuries and all.

OverratedSanity

Amla's a gun and he probably is going to be an ATG but just ****ing wait before saying he deserves to be in contention for not only ATG status, but an all-time XI.

Like those peeps who claimed Ponting was a lock for #2 to Bradman when he was averaging almost 60 in 2006.
Just saying he's accomplished far more than Hussey did in his insane 25-30 test run. If he maintains a level of form close to or even slightly worse than how he's doing now, he's automatically an ATG. He's closer to getting to that level than anyone else playing right now.

salman85

International Debutant
No he won't.

Amla will end up as one of the best batsmen of his time, but not one good enough to be an ATG.Yes he's been top drawer in the last few years, but he's playing in a very batsman dominant era.That doesn't make his achievements less noteworthy, but it is a valid argument against his inclusion in any ATG team.

Last edited: