Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1319
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: *Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

  1. #16
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    who is considered next best? Harmer? Tahir?
    Tahir will get a 2nd chance first. Step-up or shift out time for him so he will be wanting to prove a point.

    They don't want to rush Harmer but he is certainly the next in line. Currently in Sri Lanka for a spin bowling camp with a few of our other spinners.

  2. #17
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

    Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
    Exactly, a bit of seam/swing in the first 10 overs and then nothing more for the seamers and hardly anything for the spinners the last time we were there. What a bore fest that was.

  3. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737
    Misbah and Co would want a bore fest. They were scarred pretty badly in SA and those memories would be haunting them still

  4. #19
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    59
    Not sure about Peterson's Test match credentials. He looks like a steady operator than a real striker. Hasn't done much apart from his performance in that AUS Test. Tahir gets a tailender out and celebrates like a mad man. I was there when he got the crowd going at Lord's after a ridiculous LBW appeal (pitched about a foot outside leg) last year. Can't really see them running through PAK unless they prepare tracks that turn square.

    Good test for Philander. His first series in the subcontinent.


  5. #20
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

    Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
    I think you are forgetting that England toured in Jan/Feb when the conditions are completely different. My guess, fast bowlers will have nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I think you are forgetting that England toured in Jan/Feb when the conditions are completely different. My guess, fast bowlers will have nothing.
    You're forgetting Daemon has been to Dubai (and quite enjoyed it before he started feeling bad about it ). And weather conditions in late October and Jan are not that different. It gets a little cooler in January for sure but the temperature gradient is nowhere near as steep as in other cricket playing countries

  7. #22
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

    Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
    As AN said, that was in Jan/Feb, so it's slightly different, but I do agree. SA's seamers will still probably be the main threat. From what I've seen of the wickets they're real new ball pitches though, bit of seam early on, but they do very little with an older ball. Don't remember Anderson getting much seam, so I reckon Phillander and Morkel will probably be more of a threat than Steyn as they're more seam bowlers.

    Pakistan will do well to prepare wickets that do very little for the seamers though, as I'm really unconvinced by Robbie P. He's OK playing a holding role in South Africa, helped by the fact he can bat, but I don't know if he really puts enough revs on the ball to cause problems. Plus the quicker spinners have always done well in the UAE and Robbie bowls quite a lot slower than say a Panesar or a Rehman. I wouldn't be surprised if Duminey causes more problems tbh.

    South Africa have got a really strong lower order these days though. Such a throwback to just three years ago where their 7-9 was Boucher, Steyn and Harris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,095
    I love 2 Test series, they're brilliant.

  9. #24
    International Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    6,224
    Just thinking, SA have kinda sucked on turning pitches recently, think of the loss to SL at Durban, or the game Pak threw away last year at Newlands, unless they improve I honestly don't see how they are gonna do too well, that depends a lot on Pakistan though, as they are playing **** right now
    There are two colours in my head

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,078
    Having ABdV in South Africa's lineup really allows for team balance doesn't it. The top 6 pick themselves, the 3 quicks do too, the main spinner is likely to be Robin Peterson so the final spot can go to a young batsman like Elgar, a batting all rounder (for these conditions) like Duminy or they could back the top 6 to make enough runs and bring in a second spinner in Tahir. If he were to get injured the team would look so much more vulnerable.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

  11. #26
    International 12th Man Quaggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Just thinking, SA have kinda sucked on turning pitches recently, think of the loss to SL at Durban, or the game Pak threw away last year at Newlands, unless they improve I honestly don't see how they are gonna do too well, that depends a lot on Pakistan though, as they are playing **** right now
    Kingsmead a turning pitch?

  12. #27
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Having ABdV in South Africa's lineup really allows for team balance doesn't it. The top 6 pick themselves, the 3 quicks do too, the main spinner is likely to be Robin Peterson so the final spot can go to a young batsman like Elgar, a batting all rounder (for these conditions) like Duminy or they could back the top 6 to make enough runs and bring in a second spinner in Tahir. If he were to get injured the team would look so much more vulnerable.
    They already have a settled top 7 with Duminy's return. Elgar might not get a chance.

    Smith
    Petersen
    Amla
    Kallis
    ABD
    Duminy
    de Plesis
    Peterson
    Philander
    Steyn
    Morkel

  13. #28
    International Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Kingsmead a turning pitch?
    I think I remember De Villiers (or a coach or someone else maybe) calling it "Sub-continental"

  14. #29
    International 12th Man Quaggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,683
    Damn those subcontinental pitches

    126465.jpg

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    They already have a settled top 7 with Duminy's return. Elgar might not get a chance.

    Smith
    Petersen
    Amla
    Kallis
    ABD
    Duminy
    de Plesis
    Peterson
    Philander
    Steyn
    Morkel
    Faf and Duminy switched around and that will be team. Duminy is a good option for 7 in the likely conditions they will face but I wouldn't say he is a settled part of the squad in other conditions.

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ****Official****Pakistan in South Africa
    By Agent Nationaux in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2391
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 05:50 AM
  2. *Official* South Africa in Pakistan
    By Bouncer in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1035
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 08:17 AM
  3. ***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa
    By nightprowler10 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2202
    Last Post: 17-02-2007, 03:28 PM
  4. *Official* South Africa in Pakistan Thread
    By zohaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 28-10-2003, 02:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •