Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: *Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    who is considered next best? Harmer? Tahir?
    Tahir will get a 2nd chance first. Step-up or shift out time for him so he will be wanting to prove a point.

They don't want to rush Harmer but he is certainly the next in line. Currently in Sri Lanka for a spin bowling camp with a few of our other spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
    Exactly, a bit of seam/swing in the first 10 overs and then nothing more for the seamers and hardly anything for the spinners the last time we were there. What a bore fest that was.

Banned
    Misbah and Co would want a bore fest. They were scarred pretty badly in SA and those memories would be haunting them still

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Not sure about Peterson's Test match credentials. He looks like a steady operator than a real striker. Hasn't done much apart from his performance in that AUS Test. Tahir gets a tailender out and celebrates like a mad man. I was there when he got the crowd going at Lord's after a ridiculous LBW appeal (pitched about a foot outside leg) last year. Can't really see them running through PAK unless they prepare tracks that turn square.

Good test for Philander. His first series in the subcontinent.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
    I think you are forgetting that England toured in Jan/Feb when the conditions are completely different. My guess, fast bowlers will have nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I think you are forgetting that England toured in Jan/Feb when the conditions are completely different. My guess, fast bowlers will have nothing.
    You're forgetting Daemon has been to Dubai (and quite enjoyed it before he started feeling bad about it ). And weather conditions in late October and Jan are not that different. It gets a little cooler in January for sure but the temperature gradient is nowhere near as steep as in other cricket playing countries

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar

As AN said, that was in Jan/Feb, so it's slightly different, but I do agree. SA's seamers will still probably be the main threat. From what I've seen of the wickets they're real new ball pitches though, bit of seam early on, but they do very little with an older ball. Don't remember Anderson getting much seam, so I reckon Phillander and Morkel will probably be more of a threat than Steyn as they're more seam bowlers.

Pakistan will do well to prepare wickets that do very little for the seamers though, as I'm really unconvinced by Robbie P. He's OK playing a holding role in South Africa, helped by the fact he can bat, but I don't know if he really puts enough revs on the ball to cause problems. Plus the quicker spinners have always done well in the UAE and Robbie bowls quite a lot slower than say a Panesar or a Rehman. I wouldn't be surprised if Duminey causes more problems tbh.

South Africa have got a really strong lower order these days though. Such a throwback to just three years ago where their 7-9 was Boucher, Steyn and Harris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I love 2 Test series, they're brilliant.

Just thinking, SA have kinda sucked on turning pitches recently, think of the loss to SL at Durban, or the game Pak threw away last year at Newlands, unless they improve I honestly don't see how they are gonna do too well, that depends a lot on Pakistan though, as they are playing **** right now
    There are two colours in my head

Having ABdV in South Africa's lineup really allows for team balance doesn't it. The top 6 pick themselves, the 3 quicks do too, the main spinner is likely to be Robin Peterson so the final spot can go to a young batsman like Elgar, a batting all rounder (for these conditions) like Duminy or they could back the top 6 to make enough runs and bring in a second spinner in Tahir. If he were to get injured the team would look so much more vulnerable.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Just thinking, SA have kinda sucked on turning pitches recently, think of the loss to SL at Durban, or the game Pak threw away last year at Newlands, unless they improve I honestly don't see how they are gonna do too well, that depends a lot on Pakistan though, as they are playing **** right now
    Kingsmead a turning pitch?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Having ABdV in South Africa's lineup really allows for team balance doesn't it. The top 6 pick themselves, the 3 quicks do too, the main spinner is likely to be Robin Peterson so the final spot can go to a young batsman like Elgar, a batting all rounder (for these conditions) like Duminy or they could back the top 6 to make enough runs and bring in a second spinner in Tahir. If he were to get injured the team would look so much more vulnerable.
    They already have a settled top 7 with Duminy's return. Elgar might not get a chance.

Smith
    Petersen
    Amla
    Kallis
    ABD
    Duminy
    de Plesis
    Peterson
    Philander
    Steyn
    Morkel

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Kingsmead a turning pitch?
    I think I remember De Villiers (or a coach or someone else maybe) calling it "Sub-continental"

Damn those subcontinental pitches

126465.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    They already have a settled top 7 with Duminy's return. Elgar might not get a chance.

Smith
    Petersen
    Amla
    Kallis
    ABD
    Duminy
    de Plesis
    Peterson
    Philander
    Steyn
    Morkel
    Faf and Duminy switched around and that will be team. Duminy is a good option for 7 in the likely conditions they will face but I wouldn't say he is a settled part of the squad in other conditions.

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information