View Poll Results: Greatest Match-Winner in the Australian Team of the 1990s-2000s?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glenn McGrath

26 65.00%
  • Shane Warne

9 22.50%
  • Ricky Ponting

2 5.00%
  • Adam Gilchrist

2 5.00%
  • Other

1 2.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Who was the biggest match-winner in the great Australian side?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Love the juxtaposition here.
    Don't knock fish with icecream until you've actually tried it.

In some ways I think they are two different things. The player that we could least afford to be without was definitely McGrath but I wouldn't necessarily rate him in first place as the greatest match winner as a Ponting first innings of the series ton, a blitzing Gilchrist knock and Warne's 5th day heroics were huge for Australia and really showed the dominance of our team.

Basically I'm saying McGrath wasn't as flashy as others and obviously he was a beast and we would win matches thanks to him, but Aussie brilliance was just as often associated with the three other names (and more) that I've mentioned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    In some ways I think they are two different things. The player that we could least afford to be without was definitely McGrath but I wouldn't necessarily rate him in first place as the greatest match winner as a Ponting first innings of the series ton, a blitzing Gilchrist knock and Warne's 5th day heroics were huge for Australia and really showed the dominance of our team.

Basically I'm saying McGrath wasn't as flashy as others and obviously he was a beast and we would win matches thanks to him, but Aussie brilliance was just as often associated with the three other names (and more) that I've mentioned.
    The highlighted portion reflects my feelings as well.

20 wickets are the most import target in winning a test match, and McGrath & Warne were obviously the go-to men in that regard.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 08-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Agree with Nufan there. McGrath just constantly did the job, over and over again.

Gilchrist or Warne more likely to do something outstanding and dramatic. But McGrath just as likely to do something as them. Hard question!

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Agree with Nufan there. McGrath just constantly did the job, over and over again.

Gilchrist or Warne more likely to do something outstanding and dramatic. But McGrath just as likely to do something as them. Hard question!
    It's a hard question because it's difficult to say which is the most important component in winning a Test match;

1. Top-order wickets
    2, Late-order, and 5th Day wickets
    3. Solid runs at the top of the order
    4. Fast runs in the middle-order, and great wicket-keeping.

I suspect that top-order wickets is slightly more important than the other 3 factors - therefore McGrath.

However, it's a bit like asking, 'What is the most important component in a motor car?'

1. Wheels
    2. Engine
    3. Drive-shaft
    4. Windscreen wipers.

Well, in a storm, the car is going no where useful if the driver can't see a thing out of the windscreen. It just depends....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah and to add to that, McG is on record as saying Ponting's quick 1st day tons setting the scene for subsequent 400+ totals at 4+/over provided the platform for him to attack early. In the current side, McG would have to bowl very differently.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    I always loved Langer. Loved watching him transform from a dour middle order/#3 into an aggressive opener.

Loved watching him punch a cover drive off the first or second ball for 4. And he had that bat **** crazy element too. Awesome cricketer!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I always loved Langer. Loved watching him transform from a dour middle order/#3 into an aggressive opener.

Loved watching him punch a cover drive off the first or second ball for 4. And he had that bat **** crazy element too. Awesome cricketer!
    We should remain ever thankful to Michael Slater for self destructing whilst on tour leaving Langer the only option to take his opening position. Without that rather unique opportunity presenting itself Langer probably would have fallen by the wayside.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    For me the question isn't about consistency, otherwise I would pick McGrath. It is about: who was the most likely to alter the match significantly in our favour and that was Warne. Many players made many significant contributions in that side; and they were all to one extent or another consistent; but when we needed a wicket or something huge to happen Warne was central to that time and time again. He'd do it across both formats as well. He's one of the most "clutch" sports persons I've ever seen - along with the guy in my avatar.
    Last edited by Ikki; 09-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    For me the question isn't about consistency, otherwise I would pick McGrath. It is about: who was the most likely to alter the match significantly in our favour and that was Warne. Many players made many significant contributions in that side; and they were all to one extent or another consistent; but when we needed a wicket or something huge to happen Warne was central to that time and time again. He'd do it across both formats as well. He's one of the most "clutch" sports persons I've ever seen - along with the guy in my avatar.
    Could you elaborate how he was better at that than McG. From my vantage point, it was Pigeon who did that. So I am intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeah and to add to that, McG is on record as saying Ponting's quick 1st day tons setting the scene for subsequent 400+ totals at 4+/over provided the platform for him to attack early. In the current side, McG would have to bowl very differently.
    I agree with this, and that's why Ponting and McG are neck and neck for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooksey View Post
    Don't knock fish with icecream until you've actually tried it.
    Fish and custard for mine. Mindblowing.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Bill Clinton was average in The Balkans, tbh.
    Viscount Tom likes this.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Could you elaborate how he was better at that than McG. From my vantage point, it was Pigeon who did that. So I am intrigued.
    IMO the term "match-winner" makes sense when you're referring to periods in the match that are more significant in getting to the result, because technically they're all match-winners or none of them are match-winners, as they only win off the efforts of each other.

For me, it was Warne, more than McGrath, that was getting out the important batsmen when they were making those runs. McGrath may get Lara out cheaply, for instance, but in that match it is Chanderpaul giving Australia trouble and scoring. It would then be Warne who'd come out and snuff that danger out, being the "match-winner" in that sense. The figures at the end might show McGrath a bit cheaper and faster in getting his wickets, but for me Warne more regularly made those match turning moments. If the batsmen tended to stay in after McGrath opened and weren't phased by his bowling on that day, it almost seemed like McGrath wasn't going to get them out that match - no matter how tidy he would remain for the rest of it, since he was so hard to score off of - but when Warne came on to face those settled batsmen he'd have the freakish ability to uproot them through sheer will.

In the end, whether those runs come a bit more expensive or not...you have to get those wickets to win those matches. If McGrath wasn't on form as an Australian I'd still be betting on Warne to make the difference. For me it was when Warne had no answer that got me the most disheartened, and that for me defines him as an incredible match-winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Bill Clinton was average in The Balkans, tbh.
    Don't disrespect Larry Legend ****.
    Last edited by Ikki; 09-09-2013 at 01:47 AM.

all went downhill since symonds went
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    depends on whether you favour height or weight when it comes to what you call big. warne or haydos probably the best compromises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Has to be McGrath. Warne didn't step up when playing India. McG had no such hiccups
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information