• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bagapath's Greatest XI

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When Richard Hadlee starts the first over with Adam Gilchrist behind the stumps, this will be the field setting.

Off Side:

Viv Richards - First Slip
Brian Lara - Second Slip
Shane Warne - Third Slip
Joel Garner - Gully
Sunil Gavaskar - Cover Point
Sachin Tendulkar - Mid Off

On Side:

Malcolm Marshall - Square leg
Gordon Greenidge - Short leg
Allan Border - Mid Wicket
Awesome team Baggy! One suggestion though, no need for a mid off with that terrific bowling unit, bring in a fourth slip! :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I would have a crack at this but I honestly have nothing to compare to the cow anecdote. Absolute gold.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
When Richard Hadlee starts the first over with Adam Gilchrist behind the stumps, this will be the field setting.

Off Side:

Brian Lara - Second Slip
Shane Warne - Third Slip
Joel Garner - Gully

On Side:

Great, would flip Viv and BCL though, as Lara always fielded in 1st and Richards was at his best at 2nd when Lloyd was at first.

bagapath

International Captain
Awesome team Baggy! One suggestion though, no need for a mid off with that terrific bowling unit, bring in a fourth slip! :)
Sunny was a good slip fielder. Can easily shuffle around the off side field to open up a gap between gully and cover to temp the batsman for a drive. Hadlee, Marshall and Garner are good enough to bowl to four slips and a gully I agree.

I would have a crack at this but I honestly have nothing to compare to the cow anecdote. Absolute gold.
Hahaha

Howe_zat

Audio File

Off Side:

Brian Lara - Second Slip
Shane Warne - Third Slip
Joel Garner - Gully

On Side:

Deep backward square instead of a square leg. Presumably you're starting with a short leg for the odd bumper thrown down, so you ought to have a guy out there for the hook

bagapath

International Captain
Marshall's a sure for. But I think he will select one between Steve Waugh and Jacques Kallis rather than Allan Border. I think Kallis would be perfect here. Good fifth bowler. As good a bat as Waugh and Border. Hope he doesn't put Botham because as he claims only the post-85 era is involved and Botham was average there. But, then so was Viv (well not average, but not the god he is claimed to be). So I don't know.
I am such a jobless guy that I have even thought through the bowling attack's workload. I have imagined how these four will divide ther spells and complete 80 overs before new ball gets taken in the last session for the opening bowlers to hurl down 5 overs each. After very elaborately breaking down their day's work it comes to this finally.

Hadlee 20 overs
Marshall 19 overs
Garner 22 overs
Warne 29 overs

Since this looks practical I don't think I will ever resort to using a fifth bowler.

Now that I have shared this with you, I don't know what I will think of in the shower.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Since this looks practical I don't think I will ever resort to using a fifth bowler.

Now that I have shared this with you, I don't know what I will think of in the shower.
I think that betrays just how off the cuff Test captaincy has to be sometimes. When Viv had an attack of Marshall, Garner, Holding and Walsh (and not a **** was given about the over rate), he'd still bring himself on from time to time. I think it's fair enough to plan to use just the four bowlers but you have to be at least a little prepared to deviate.

bagapath

International Captain
Fair enough. I get your point. Border and Richards and Tendulkar can certainly manage 15 harmless overs between them even if one of the main bowlers breaks down. Honestly, since these are players I want to watch I can't bring in Kallis though he can replace any of the middle order bats in terms of effectiveness.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
I think the biggest issue would be you probably wouldn't want Warne bowling ~30 on a day 1 or non really spinning track, might need 5-10 overs help from someone somewhere.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Garner was always good at bowling long economic spells.

Great team and write up Bagapath. Really enjoyed it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the biggest issue would be you probably wouldn't want Warne bowling ~30 on a day 1 or non really spinning track, might need 5-10 overs help from someone somewhere.
Yes, if he bowls 29 overs on day 1 but the new ball is taken that means he's bowling unchanged from about 45 minutes into the day.

Riggins

International Captain
My dad always said about being captain that if you bowl half the overs, you'll take half the wickets.

bagapath

International Captain
in their long and illustrious careers, warne averaged 25 overs per innings, Hadlee - 24. Garner - 20 and Marshall - 19. That nicely adds up to 88 overs. considering their SR, that should be good enough to bowl the opposition out (for about 250 runs). If they need a breather, there are those useful part timers already mentioned above. no great team needed five full fledged bowlers to win consistently. four great bowlers are difficult to come together at the same time for selection. But when they rarely do, they are more than enough to do the job.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Top side so far, when you've completed your list, I'm just curious whether there are any alternates who were close to, but just missed out on making the XI
an alternative team would have looked like this

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Miandad
S.Waugh
Imran (C)
Botham
Dujon (wk)
Ambrose
Murali
McGrath

And it doesn't look perfect I agree

If I were to select an All Time XI then that team would have probably looked like this...

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman (C)
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist (WK)
Marshall
Warne
Lillee
Barnes

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
in their long and illustrious careers, warne averaged 25 overs per innings, Hadlee - 24. Garner - 20 and Marshall - 19. That nicely adds up to 88 overs. considering their SR, that should be good enough to bowl the opposition out (for about 250 runs). If they need a breather, there are those useful part timers already mentioned above. no great team needed five full fledged bowlers to win consistently. four great bowlers are difficult come together at the same time for selection. But when they rarely do, they are more than enough to do the job.
This is true, as Australia showed with McGrath, Gillespie, Lee/Kaspa and Warne/MacGill