• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Shri

Mr. Glass
Way to miss the point. Under the new rule, the bowler can deceive the batsman by pretending to bowl and then stop and run the batsman out. The non striker times the start of his run with the expected time of the bowler releasing the ball. With this change, it opens the way for ****** situations where the bowler fakes out the non striker, who has done nothing wrong.

I think it's completely unnecessary, the old law worked just fine and penalised the non striker fairly for leaving the crease early.
The old law was ****ing bull**** and allowed ****s to cry about the spirit of the game every time they acted like ****s and tried to steal a run. Maybe from now on, they will have to wait until the ball hits the batsman's bat before starting their run.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wish Mankadding want seen as against the spirit of the game. It pisses me right off when I see batsmen half way down the pitch before the striker has played a shot.

Let's call it what it is. It's a run out. You're run out because you weren't watching the ball. You're run out because you left your crease during play when the fielding team had the ball in hand.

mr_mister

yeah tbqh backing up super far gives a massive advantage when runnning (quite noticable with indoor cricket) so for this whole sportmanship thing to allow a fair form of dismissal IMO (mankadding) to be seen as not in the spirit of the game is bloody dumb

imagine if batsman started complaining that hitwicket wasnt really in the spirit of the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where the rule just becomes the non-striker must remain stationary until the ball is released. I'm not saying I'd support it, but if you keep on messing with the mankad rule it'll probably get to that point

I really am a believer in the game staying still as the bowler gets into the delivery stride. Such a fascinating view as well as its almost a bit of a freeze frame as fielders walking in stop, batsmen finish their trigger movement and look at the bowler as well as they can, so will be good if the non striker can ****ing stop moving around too. Its almost a frozen moment in time. Unique to cricket I would think.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Think I'll wait to see how the proposed run-out law is worded before passing judgement on it, but, I personally don't/would not like to see either bowlers attempting to deceive the batsman or batsmen running out of their crease early. I could certainly envisage the former case happening near the end of T20 innings, and would say the latter already happens there.

I do not agree with certain posters above that the current law (these changes being proposals at time of writing) law is ambiguous, so there is potential for a new law to be more ambiguous.

In relation to the other changes, I am not entirely sure why 'handled the ball' would be changed to 'obstructed the field' these are not exactly the same thing, and most cases of 'handled the ball' seem to involve batsmen trying to stop themselves being bowled, which does not obstruct the fielding team per se.

Starfighter

I don't leave the crease until the bowler bowls the ball, often so I can have a look at how the bowler is releasing the ball. Particularly useful when a spinner's bowling. I stand outside the crease with just the bat in and then take a couple of quick steps. I don't understand those who seem to need a longish start (like, a metre behind the umpire) just to walk through. Any momentum advantage is negated by the fact that the bat is usually a bit closer to be body, meaning they're not as far down as someone standing outside and reaching back.

If you get mankaded then I consider than you're either being ignorant or absent minded (most of the time) or cheating. The only time this doesn't apply is when the bowler holds onto the ball without releasing it. That's unfair because the batsman can reasonably expect the ball to be released at the usual point and the bowler gains time that he would never have usually had.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish Mankadding want seen as against the spirit of the game. It pisses me right off when I see batsmen half way down the pitch before the striker has played a shot.

Let's call it what it is. It's a run out. You're run out because you weren't watching the ball. You're run out because you left your crease during play when the fielding team had the ball in hand.
Pretty simple when you put it that way

I really am a believer in the game staying still as the bowler gets into the delivery stride. Such a fascinating view as well as its almost a bit of a freeze frame as fielders walking in stop, batsmen finish their trigger movement and look at the bowler as well as they can, so will be good if the non striker can ****ing stop moving around too. Its almost a frozen moment in time. Unique to cricket I would think.
You think that fielders walking in stop as the bowler gets into the delivery stride?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the ones close to the batsmen do, or at least slow down, coz I remember Jonty mentioned about being balanced as the ball is being bowled. Its an important aspect of fielding which you can easily forget.

TheJediBrah

I think the ones close to the batsmen do, or at least slow down, coz I remember Jonty mentioned about being balanced as the ball is being bowled. Its an important aspect of fielding which you can easily forget.
Catchers shouldn't be walking in at all. For infielders you generally reach your peak of inward-movement as the batsman is playing his shot, reaching ideal balance at about the same time. Stopping quick singles would be an impossibility if you weren't moving in rather rapidly at the time of delivery.

Far be it from to say that Jonty is wrong about fielding haha, but you can be balanced and have significant forward momentum at the same time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah that is what I meant, maybe slow down just a touch in pace and give yourself that balance I guess. What will I know? I have been keeper since I was 9 and the games we play now, there are 100 games happening simultaneously that sometimes we end up throwing to the keeper from another game on an adjacent pitch. :laugh:

TheJediBrah

Yeah that is what I meant, maybe slow down just a touch in pace and give yourself that balance I guess. What will I know? I have been keeper since I was 9 and the games we play now, there are 100 games happening simultaneously that sometimes we end up throwing to the keeper from another game on an adjacent pitch. :laugh:
You definitely don't slow down, but the balance part is certainly true.

harsh.ag

I'm getting older so it could be my eyes, or it could be watching cricket in HD after years of LD, but I have noticed a few shots where the ball seems to curve off the bat. For instance, one of the Aussies just then pulled the ball square, but it curved a bit and went slightly behind square in the end. Or was that just an optical illusion? Can hitting the ball cause it to have a lot of spin so it gets drift and spin and swing and ****?
Yeah this happens a lot. Makes for a lot of fun during fielding. I used to stand at square leg back in the day, and it took a fair time getting used to the ball spinning away, usually from left to right, but sometimes the opposite way as well.

Funnily enough I was reading about that in an old cricket book ("Cricket North & South" by TCF Prittie) only the other day:

"Every position in the field demands special as well as general qualities. Having kept wicket for most of schooldays, I learnt the truth of this when I went up to Oxford... I dropped one or two catches [in the slips] and transferred to deep third-man.

I spent one terrible afternoon there. Although I had watched plenty of cricket, I had no idea of the tremendous curve of the ball from right to left when it finally arrives down at deep third-man. Frequently I failed to get a hand to it at all.

I went to mid-wicket, and was alarmed to find that the ball, although generally coming straight, now occasionally curved the opposite way, from left to right. I returned, thank goodness, to the slips and comparative sanity."
Excellent.

Burgey

On this day in 1877 the first ever test match commenced, with Bannerman going to stumps on 120 odd before retiring hurt the next day for 169.